glowing red head pipe

I HAVE A 2006 YZ 450F 50 YEAR ANNIVERSARY EDITION

RUNS GREAT) but this weekend i noticed at night the head pipe was glowing red, is this normal for a 4 stroke? this is my first 4 stroke, please help!!!!!

Actually it is quite usual for a YZ to glow red, especially at night. I had A 03 YZ250F did the same thing, I asked around and it was normal from all the feedback I got. I would guess that it only does that while idling , or standing still. I wouldn't worry about it, unless it does so during the day!!....Also you can check if it might be running a little lean...sometimes this is the case, but if the bike is running well and only does this at night. No worries.

glowing of the header is not normal. you are lean. 4 strokes usually come from the factory lean. up your pilot jet one size and try 2 - 2 1/2 turns out , and lower your clip on the needle one position and that will cure your glow.

glowing of the header is not normal. you are lean. 4 strokes usually come from the factory lean. up your pilot jet one size and try 2 - 2 1/2 turns out , and lower your clip on the needle one position and that will cure your glow.
This is wrong on a number of points.

First, the glowing header is in fact 100% normal in this case. Note that the OP stated it was at night that he noticed this. There's a 300 degree difference in temp between red heat you can see in the dark and that which shows in daylight, for one thing.

For the other, the cause is cam and ignition timing, not lean jetting. The timing retards a very long way at idle, and that, combined with the aggressive exhaust cam timing, leaves quite a bit of unfinished combustion going on at an idle as the valves pop open.

And finally, the needle position hasn't got a thing to do with the way the engine idles, anyway.

Jet the bike to make it run correctly in gear underway, not to make it look or sound good in neutral.

• Like 1

RUNS GREAT) but this weekend i noticed at night the head pipe was glowing red, is this normal for a 4 stroke? this is my first 4 stroke, please help!!!!!

I had an 04 and I have an 07 now. Both bikes head pipe would glow red. Surprised me the first time I saw it and I a bit concerned too.

Craig

• 8 years later...
On 12/29/2008 at 0:28 AM, luv2ride-yz450 said:

I know this is an old thread but I ran into it and figured I'd add my 2 cents. The glowing red header pipe is just the factory cigarette lighter. ?

On 12/29/2008 at 5:12 PM, grayracer513 said:

This is wrong on a number of points.

First, the glowing header is in fact 100% normal in this case. Note that the OP stated it was at night that he noticed this. There's a 300 degree difference in temp between red heat you can see in the dark and that which shows in daylight, for one thing.

For the other, the cause is cam and ignition timing, not lean jetting. The timing retards a very long way at idle, and that, combined with the aggressive exhaust cam timing, leaves quite a bit of unfinished combustion going on at an idle as the valves pop open.

And finally, the needle position hasn't got a thing to do with the way the engine idles, anyway.

Jet the bike to make it run correctly in gear underway, not to make it look or sound good in neutral.

I freaked out the 1st time my 1999 YZF did it to. Normal on all brands of race 4 strokes.

HMMM.... I wonder if my KTM does it now too?