Sign in to follow this  

Newb

Hello, I just bought my first KTM. I'm also new to Thumper. On Christmas eve I bought a 2001 250sx that is in pretty decent shape for its age. Today I may have totaled it.

Im gonna look around for answers before I start asking questions, but I wanted to say hi and introduce myself first.

Bill

Sacramento

Heading up a trail and my bike suddenly pinned wide open. It launched off about a 25' drop and landed on its tail. Destroyed the silencer, fender, tail section and I think bent the swing arm. It flipped over a couple of times and the headset bearings are loose too. I was having what appeared to be sticky throttle issues earlier in the day but not like this. And when I say sticky throttle, I really mean I think the slide in the carb was sticking. The return on the throttle works perfectly. I had ridden the day before without issue. There's a little solenoid on the carb. Power Valve?? If that malfuctioned or better yet shorted out what could happen? Does it release fuel into the intake?

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Throttle tube could have gunk in it, throttle cable could be sticking, or slide could be sticking inside the carb.

Im not sure what its called but its an electronic solenoid that's on the carb not the exhaust.

Ummmmmmmmmm? New one to me??? Maybe the powerband got stuck.

Im taking it in to a dealer here in the area to have it checked out in the morning.

Sorry about the powerband comment, try to explain things in more detail and maybe someone here can help. IF you are unfamiliar with the in's and out's of the bike a professional might be your best bet. We can try to help.

Please dont be sorry, this has been a huge help. This little woops hurt and kinda scared me. Had I not let go right when I did me and that damn bike would be in the same condition. So my thought was to run it down to a pro and know that it was cured.

OK,

This is just too good, I had to comment. :busted:

I dirt bike is like a loaded gun, it must be treated with care all the time, in the wrong hands it can be lethal.

Riding a bike that you know has a sticky throttle is like playing Russian Roulette.

You need to back up and take it much slower. Think big picture. Survival.