Sign in to follow this  

Chain recommendations

I'll be ordering a new chain and sprockets soon, I plan on using Ironman sprockets as i have heard so many good things about them, and cant afford to replace sprockets frequently. But im not sure about a chain, The one that came stock on my YZ was quite the turd, I had to adjust it at least every 2 rides, if not every ride, and yes it was lubed very well. I did do a search and didnt come up with what i was looking for. I was considering the renthal R1 works, I don't really want an O-ring chain. So, if anyone has anyone can recommend a long-lasting X ring paired with a set of Ironman's that would be great! :busted:

I'll be ordering a new chain and sprockets soon, I plan on using Ironman sprockets as i have heard so many good things about them, and cant afford to replace sprockets frequently. But im not sure about a chain, The one that came stock on my YZ was quite the turd, I had to adjust it at least every 2 rides, if not every ride, and yes it was lubed very well. I did do a search and didnt come up with what i was looking for. I was considering the renthal R1 works, I don't really want an O-ring chain. So, if anyone has anyone can recommend a long-lasting X ring paired with a set of Ironman's that would be great! :busted:

I was going to recommend the sunline steel sprockets (I have had a hard time lately getting Ironman sprockets) but Ironman are awesome sprockets. As for the chain I highly recommend D.I.D. Chains whether you go o-ring or standard. Stay away from renthal chains. I used to run them for a short time but they kept breaking prematurly. I run a D.I.D. 520 ERT gold chain with Ironman or Sunline steel sprockets on my sons YZ250F and they usually last about a year. He races intermediate/B class and puts a lot of hrs on his bike. I have yet to have an issue with this setup. Where at in Ontario? :moon:

i had a renthal R1 on my 250f and it had to be adjusted every ride....i now have a RK 520exw but have not used it yet (snow&cold)

i had a renthal R1 on my 250f and it had to be adjusted every ride....i now have a RK 520exw but have not used it yet (snow&cold)

Let us know how it works out. I have not tried their chains so would be interested in if they are good or not. :busted:

I run the RK, ride most weekends in the mud and it's doing great. Never even need to adjust it. Maybe twice in the last 30 hours.

i am sure it will work out good, RK chains are prooven so i am not worryed. its gonna be a while b4 i really get to test this thing out. SD is hell this time of year

After doing a bit more research, I think im going to go with either the DID 520MX, or the ERT2. I've heard a few people say the 520MX wears real well. Anybody have any experience with it?

After doing a bit more research, I think im going to go with either the DID 520MX, or the ERT2. I've heard a few people say the 520MX wears real well. Anybody have any experience with it?

Not I but I do know D.I.D. has some of the best chains out there. Good luck what ever you decide. :busted:

I got the Regina ZRH Z ring chain together as a package deal with the Ironman sprockets from dirttricks. Good bargain on the chain this way.

In 4 months of riding and maybe 8 hare scrambles I've only done 1 chain adjustment :busted:

I have always run Primary Drive with great success. Hard to beat for the price. I am currently running a Renthal R3 O-Ring. It has been great so far. I have always been sceptical about Renthal but this chain seems to be proving me wrong.

I'd suggest a DID 520VT t-ring enduro chain. It's lighter than any x/o-ring, lasts just as long and it's designed specifically for dirt bikes whereas all the x/o-ring chains are really designed for street bikes. The 520VT isn't cheap but it will outlast the rest of the bike when paired with Ironman sprockets. You will also save a bundle on chain lube because it requires very little lube. I've had one on my CRF450 all year and only had to adjust it one time. I'll never use a conventional chain again.

I'd suggest a DID 520VT t-ring enduro chain. It's lighter than any x/o-ring, lasts just as long and it's designed specifically for dirt bikes whereas all the x/o-ring chains are really designed for street bikes. The 520VT isn't cheap but it will outlast the rest of the bike when paired with Ironman sprockets. You will also save a bundle on chain lube because it requires very little lube. I've had one on my CRF450 all year and only had to adjust it one time. I'll never use a conventional chain again.

+1

I've had mine for 6 months and it is wearing real well:thumbsup:

How much can i expect to pay for the 520VT? Im looking to spend around 100$, I figure if i sink some money into a Good chain and sprockets, I wont have to replace them for a while.

How much can i expect to pay for the 520VT? Im looking to spend around 100$, I figure if i sink some money into a Good chain and sprockets, I wont have to replace them for a while.

I've found them as cheap as $69 on ebay for a 114 link 520VT. You'll get 200 hours out of it if you combine it with Ironman sprockets.