Longevity of Helicoil for spark plug thread?

Does anyone have advice on the longevity of a Helicoil repair for spark plug thread? Mines stripped and i've been told it will need to be welded and tapped for a long term repair because the helicoils work themselves out.

Last thing i want is a spark plug that i cant replace out on the trails!

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

no way, use red locktight on the helicoil and it will be permanent, then use nevercease on the plug and you shouldn't have a problem, also use grease on the tap to catch the new thread cuttings

helicoils suck..... you want Time-Sert... repair is permanent and stronger

http://www.timesert.com/

helicoils suck..... you want Time-Sert... repair is permanent and stronger

http://www.timesert.com/

+ 1 on the timesert !

I have used them for nearly 30 years.

Dwight

A properly installed Heli-Coil is OK, BUT, Timeserts are superior.

no way, use red locktight on the helicoil and it will be permanent, then use nevercease on the plug and you shouldn't have a problem, also use grease on the tap to catch the new thread cuttings

Eek! I would never EVER consider doing this on a spark plug. That's putting a heck of a lot of faith in the Never-Cese. Red is the permanant Loctite... that stuff is pretty tough to get off once it sets.

I have had a heilcoil in for some time now. I have never used anticease on the plug and have not had one issue so far. I would however go with the best solution possible.

If these guys say the time-sert is better I would go with that.

If I had to do it again that's what I would do.

Eek! I would never EVER consider doing this on a spark plug. That's putting a heck of a lot of faith in the Never-Cese. Red is the permanant Loctite... that stuff is pretty tough to get off once it sets.

If the loctite is on the helicoil and dried before inserting the plug with the antiseaze, what is the problem?

Been there and done that when I was around 13. The helicoil still holds to this day. Granted it took me 3 tries to get it right since it was my first time. Nothing like fixing your dirtbike, riding 3 miles from home and having your sparkplug shoot out into the bushes off of the trail.

Luckily I had easy access on my motor. While I wouldn't suggest doing so, I installed mine with the motor in tact. I rigged up a shop vac to suck and blow out as many shavings as I could once I was done. That would be a real pain on the XR250.

I too stripped the threads last year. I found a guy who could do both methods of repair, helicoil and insert. He recommended the helicoil first as it is cheaper will likely hold for the duration of the bike and the hole does not need to be enlarged. If the helicoil does need to be replaced the head can be drilled and the insert installed. If the insert fails the head will need to be replaced.

His only concern was not to replace the plug when the head was hot. A bit of a concern but since it's not a two stroke and not as likely to get fouled on the trail I'm not too worried.