Sign in to follow this  

XR250R revalve question ?

I have a set of 1997 forks that I am revalving. I read here that most are removing 3 of the 7 full sized shims in the stack. When I took them apart the stacks were slightly different in that one had a thin (narrow) shim on the bottom of the stack ( closest to the bottom of the fork ) and the other side had the thin (narrow) shim on top of the stack ( closest to the top of fork or the valve 6mm (10mm wrench) nut ). I put them on the top of the stack is this correct ? Or should both be on the bottom ?

Thanks,

Dwight

they should be at the bottom, either the previous owner messed them up, or he used it as a bleed shim,where lots of the damping is bleed off by allowing a gap between the shim stack and the piston.

I was afraid of that. No biggie. I can redo in about 45 minutes. It appeared that it came from Showa / Honda that way. Weird.

Thanks,

Dwight

they should be at the bottom, either the previous owner messed them up, or he used it as a bleed shim,where lots of the damping is bleed off by allowing a gap between the shim stack and the piston.

I switch the shims around so the narrow one is at the bottom of stack now.

Thanks for the help.

Dwight :thinking: