Sign in to follow this  

09 stock 1.8 gal tank, whats with the small tanks?.

just got an 09 for cheap. it was kinda of a give away.:busted: but anyways, what is with the 1.8 gal tank. it sucks for me or anyother guy who rides far.:moon: but now im looking at a I.M.S or CLARKE tank. i have looked and i just want to check what the biggest sized tank is without having the shroud part of the tank. i want to have the plastic shrouds still on there. i need the best bang for the buck.:p

thanks, mike

just got an 09 for cheap. it was kinda of a give away.:busted: but anyways, what is with the 1.8 gal tank. it sucks for me or anyother guy who rides far.:moon: but now im looking at a I.M.S or CLARKE tank. i have looked and i just want to check what the biggest sized tank is without having the shroud part of the tank. i want to have the plastic shrouds still on there. i need the best bang for the buck.:p

thanks, mike

I wonder if the stock tanks from other year bikes fit on there?

Do you mind telling us how cheap the 09 was? They are $8300 here in Canada!

I wonder if the stock tanks from other year bikes fit on there?

I was wondering the same thing.

I was wondering the same thing.

Yes they do. You need the radiator shrouds, tank, and I believe, the petcock. Check out the online partsfiche @ Service Honda.

i got it for 5,900$, i think i will just put my 04 tank on the 09 bike for now if it fits.

Supposedly the MPG went up so the range even with the smaller tank is still the same... Which may or may not be enough for those who venture far far from the tow rig.

from R Ramsey's site

2.5 gal (includes .4 gal reserve) '04-'07

2.35 gal (includes .42 gal reserve) '08

My 06 is 2.5 right to the top with the white plastic baffle thingy pulled out.

The new tanks are EPA. Plastic has to contain all vapors so they made it thicker. The fuel injected bikes are even worse, the pump takes up room, and the pump needs some kind of molded well so it stays primed taking more room up.

That must be why Honda tells what the dry weight is so we would know when we would have to push the bike when it runs out of gas

It's possible that they made the white collar in the top of the tank longe so the tank holds less fuel.

The less fuel the tank holds the happier the EPA is. More fuel means more fuel vapor emissions.