steering slightly off xr200

my 1980 xr200 steering is slightly off and it is annoying to me..

meaning that when the wheel is perfectly straight the bars are turned a little..

i would like to correct it..

what is the fix for this ?

how do i correct it exactly ?

thanks!

Just stand in front of the bike, put the tyre between your legs. Twist the bars and straighten em. Doesnt take much for this to happen..

Happens lotso times to bicycles. DAMHIK, but I really hate hitting curbs straight on...pretty funny to see though. My XT's bars are tweaked a bit, but the other day I saw that the clamps pulled out at the triple tree:eek:

Just stand in front of the bike, put the tyre between your legs. Twist the bars and straighten em. Doesnt take much for this to happen..

hey mate how's it going down under ?? :moon:

yes, we have tried this many times with tons of force and it doesnt work :busted:

it will not budge..

can i loosen up something and fix it ?

if so then where and how exactly ?

i know absolutely nothing about bike front ends.

never touched a front end other than brakes.

thanks!

You need to loosen up the bolts on the triple clamps before trying to straighten things out. I'd put the bike on a stand with the front wheel in the air before doing this. After straightening, you shoul re-torque the bolts to spec.

hi there oh ok, interesting hmm..

which bolts and where onthe triples ?

upper clamps ?

or lowers ones ?

or all four ?

or ?

what do i need to do after loosening the bolts up in order to rectify this?

ihave a feeling that im about to learn about bike front ends, crash course haha hmmmm

thanks!

You need to loosen up the bolts on the triple clamps before trying to straighten things out. I'd put the bike on a stand with the front wheel in the air before doing this. After straightening, you shoul re-torque the bolts to spec.

After you loosen up the triple clamp bolts, do what is mentioned above. You don't need to totally loosen the bolts. Just loosen them enough to allow some movement. Too loose and both forks might slide out of the triples. Honestly, in your case it might be better to just leave the bike on the ground while doing this. I've done it this way myself out in the woods after a hard fall on my XR250 twisted the front end. You should really invest in a repair manual for your bike as it will answer many of your questions regarding which bolts to loosen etc. If you don't already know, the triple clamps are quite simply what holds or "clamps" the front forks to the bike. My XR400 has two bolts per side on the upper triple and two bolts per side on the lower triple. In any case you, want to make sure your forks don't move up or down in the triples and are clamped at the same location on each side. This is really a simple procedure so if you still don't feel comfortable, take your bike and tools to a riding area or something where you can get some guidance from a knowledgeble fellow rider.

no such thing as a riding area in IL. you ppl out west and other regionshave nice things like that unlike here in cornfield no where boondocks usa haha. we only have cornfields and railroad tracks to ride. nothing else at all. both are illegal though. so therefore there are VERY few bike/ATV riders here. and is why i am going to have mine on the street mainly.

i would get a manual for this bike but damn they are expensive!! :busted:

good info thanks i think i can figure it out from here

hopefully!