Sign in to follow this  

True 250 class - 2-stroke comeback?

With all the hype a about the 250 stroke being allowed to race in the pro nationals against the 250f's I wonder if the 2-stroke will make a comeback?

I know you cannot find a used YZ 250 or KTM 250. As soon as they are listed they are sold. I would love to see the 2-stroke make a true comeback with new models and new technology.

Later!

Todd

are they going to let them run the 250T in lites indoor and out?

Outdoors only for now.

Todd

The bikes are still being made for other markets, yet the 4-strokes are still out-selling the 2ts here in the U.S.....Only way to truly MAKE the OE's bring them back is to stop buying new 4t's !!

The bikes are still being made for other markets, yet the 4-strokes are still out-selling the 2ts here in the U.S.....Only way to truly MAKE the OE's bring them back is to stop buying new 4t's !!

If the 2-strokes start beating the 4-strokes in the outdoors then the demand for the 2-stroke will increase. Honda doesn't want this to happen and made the statement they were done with 2-strokes.

In my opinion it's a lot cheaper to race a 2-stroke. This won't affect the kids with motorhomes and 4 bikes but it may bring more riders back to race at your local track.

Later!

Todd

Outdoors only for now.

Todd

Has anyone heard any news on when they will decide this? Or any updates.

Has anyone heard any news on when they will decide this? Or any updates.

All I know is Davey Coombs (Racer Productions) took over the nationals from AMA and Davey is working on changing the rules.

Europe will be changing their rules in 2010 to a 250cc class and strokes will not matter. From what I read there will be 3 classes with a open class up to 650cc's.

Time will tell but I e-mailed Davey last week.

Todd

I emailed DC today, he emailed me back saying that my vote was in. I miss hearing the 2t's at the track!

I emailed DC today, he emailed me back saying that my vote was in. I miss hearing the 2t's at the track!

It will be great if some privateer on a 2-stroke smokes a factory backed 4 stroke. The amateurs are buying up all the new and used 2-stroke 250's in my area. If the pro's start doing well KTM and Yamaha will have to ramp up production.

Todd

i suspect the older riders that had ridden/race 2t big bikes in the past would switch butprobaly not the older riders.

I find it funny how all of my friends were looking down upon me for buying a "new two stroke, when 4 strokes are for sure better" and now they all want to ride my bike instead of their 450's!

I'm all for the 2 stroke coming back. Price out a complete top end job for a 2 compared to a 4 stroke. With the economy today, a lot of people can't afford the costs involved in newer bikes. A 2 stroke is way cheaper to own and a lot more fun in my book. My yz 250 will absolutely smoke my drz 400. It is no comparison.

I find it funny how all of my friends were looking down upon me for buying a "new two stroke, when 4 strokes are for sure better" and now they all want to ride my bike instead of their 450's!

flaunt it, man.... flaunt it :moon:

now is the time to get back on them (for being fair-weather) haha! :busted:

cant beat the smell of premix in the morning :busted:

sweet jesus there is some light at the end of this tunnel!!!! i miss the sound of a gate full of two strokes...that sound rings in your head for days!!!!! did anyone read the new MXA review of the 09 yz 250?? its pretty cool ..they state that the 2 stroke yz 250 is 10 pounds lighter than 450. cost close to 1000 dollars less. starts on first kick. doesnt stall in corners. makes more horsepower per cc. can be rebuilt for under 200 dollars. has one tenth less the moving parts. and can be worked on with a butter knife!!!...need anymore reasons to buy one???...seriously who can argue this?? lol that made my day long live the 2 strokes

sweet jesus there is some light at the end of this tunnel!!!! i miss the sound of a gate full of two strokes...that sound rings in your head for days!!!!! did anyone read the new MXA review of the 09 yz 250?? its pretty cool ..they state that the 2 stroke yz 250 is 10 pounds lighter than 450. cost close to 1000 dollars less. starts on first kick. doesnt stall in corners. makes more horsepower per cc. can be rebuilt for under 200 dollars. has one tenth less the moving parts. and can be worked on with a butter knife!!!...need anymore reasons to buy one???...seriously who can argue this?? lol that made my day long live the 2 strokes

All reasons I sold my CRF450 and bought a YZ250!

cant beat the smell of premix in the morning :moon:

I like it in the afternoon too :busted:

2 stroke till I die. Always loved the "point and shoot" aspect of 2t. 4t takes too long to build rpms and power is down compared to same displacment 2t. Why buy a hard to work on under powered thumper to begin with? Oh yeah, I remember now, so I have somebody to spend all day getting dirty with my roost. Braaaaaap!