oil tank bolt stuck

anybody have a problem with the bolt on top of the oil tank? I was going to change the oil and when I went to loosen the bolt on the top of the oil tank it started to pull the whole thing apart from the oil tank. The thing the bolt goes into. Is there a lot of pressure, because I used jb kwik weld on the crack till I can get it welded or get a new one.

Sounds... not good. :busted:

not that much OIL PRESSURE on the sump tank. it is just for de-aereation and oil storage, the line OUT of the tank is a Suction line.

it should be okay till you get it resolved. i'm curious to see how you work it out, I have always worried about bolts and aluminum threads.

Since you need to take that one in and out aLOT, the heli-coil option may not be the best one.

Tell us how it works out.

Is the top bolt just to let the oil out faster from the tank. I didn't take it out when I changed the oil.

Yes. What year is your bike?

It's a 2008. The bolt did not strip the threads so a heli-coil won't work. When I started to loosen the bolt the Nipple thingy started to pull apart from the tank. I am thinking about taking it to a radiator place to see if they can weld it. Did'nt use a lot of pressure so be careful when taking the bolt out.

Dirt Rider magazine had the same problem on their 07 test bike. Don't over tighten and use anti sieze or blue locktite

Take it out, clean it real well. Use JP weld. Works wonders and is a grey color so it wont stick out.

Wow. I have never had this problem. And anyone I know that has overtightend that bolt broke it off. I have had to extract a number of broken bolts for other people on this bike from them overtightening them.

I had the same problem with my 07. I had the "Nipple Thing" welded in place. I have not had another problem.

if u do happen to over tigheten the bolt u can put a wrench on the sqaure part that it threads into to keep from breaking it off your tank. i cant remember if its 12 or 14mm wrenchh that fits. i will look and post some pics.

Wow. I have never had this problem. And anyone I know that has overtightend that bolt broke it off. I have had to extract a number of broken bolts for other people on this bike from them overtightening them.

LOL. Quoting myself. My son has been in Perris California for the past 2 weeks riding and he just called me yesterday and said the upper bolt in the reservoir was turning the threaded part. Looks like I will be doing some repair work when he gets back. I plan to take it into work and weld around the threaded part so it doesnt happen again. We've had this bike almost a year and this is the only problem we've had. Man I love Yamaha's. :busted:

sorry for the bad pics. got a little to close. 14mm fits the sqaure piece where the bolt threads in so u dont rip it off the tank.oiltank.jpg

Don't overtighten and drill then safety wire it so it does't fall out.

LOL. Quoting myself. My son has been in Perris California for the past 2 weeks riding and he just called me yesterday and said the upper bolt in the reservoir was turning the threaded part. Looks like I will be doing some repair work when he gets back. I plan to take it into work and weld around the threaded part so it doesnt happen again. We've had this bike almost a year and this is the only problem we've had. Man I love Yamaha's. :thinking:

Time for a Wet Sump Kit!:smirk: LOL JK

Same thing happened to my friends 08, the factory over tightened it, when I went to change his oil for the first time the tank just ripped apart like a tin can. Brought it back to the dealer for a warranty replacement.