oil tank bolt stuck

anybody have a problem with the bolt on top of the oil tank? I was going to change the oil and when I went to loosen the bolt on the top of the oil tank it started to pull the whole thing apart from the oil tank. The thing the bolt goes into. Is there a lot of pressure, because I used jb kwik weld on the crack till I can get it welded or get a new one.

not that much OIL PRESSURE on the sump tank. it is just for de-aereation and oil storage, the line OUT of the tank is a Suction line.

it should be okay till you get it resolved. i'm curious to see how you work it out, I have always worried about bolts and aluminum threads.

Since you need to take that one in and out aLOT, the heli-coil option may not be the best one.

Tell us how it works out.

It's a 2008. The bolt did not strip the threads so a heli-coil won't work. When I started to loosen the bolt the Nipple thingy started to pull apart from the tank. I am thinking about taking it to a radiator place to see if they can weld it. Did'nt use a lot of pressure so be careful when taking the bolt out.

Wow. I have never had this problem. And anyone I know that has overtightend that bolt broke it off. I have had to extract a number of broken bolts for other people on this bike from them overtightening them.

LOL. Quoting myself. My son has been in Perris California for the past 2 weeks riding and he just called me yesterday and said the upper bolt in the reservoir was turning the threaded part. Looks like I will be doing some repair work when he gets back. I plan to take it into work and weld around the threaded part so it doesnt happen again. We've had this bike almost a year and this is the only problem we've had. Man I love Yamaha's. :busted:

LOL. Quoting myself. My son has been in Perris California for the past 2 weeks riding and he just called me yesterday and said the upper bolt in the reservoir was turning the threaded part. Looks like I will be doing some repair work when he gets back. I plan to take it into work and weld around the threaded part so it doesnt happen again. We've had this bike almost a year and this is the only problem we've had. Man I love Yamaha's. :thinking:

Time for a Wet Sump Kit!? LOL JK