Sign in to follow this  

2005 450r front sprocket problem

Hey guys...i have a weird problem going on with my 05 450. I bought it new in 05 and first thing i did was put a iron man rear sprocket +2, x-ring chain with front sprocket spacer. It has been running great for 05, 06, 07 and then just recently i was at Forrest Hill riding and the front sprocket fell off the shaft. Luckily we just got done with the loop up by China wall that is supposed to be the most "technical" trail in CA. I bought a new bolt and washer that holds the sprocket on the shaft and put it on. I was down in Jawbone over the weekend and the samething happend to me!!! It's reverse thread so shouldn't the bolt snug itself rather than backout? I am going to have to start carrying a spare and tools incase this happens where i can't get a truck to! As always....any info. is much appreciated!

thanks!

Hey,

What I'd try is either "hand tool" strength Loctite (the blue stuff), or teflon tape on the threads. Both should be available in any automotive store. That should keep the bolt from backing out.

Ride safe :busted:

We had the same problem with a KTM on a Baja ride....we would tighten it up and it kept coming loose..put the blue locktite on the threads and problem was solved..DONOT USE THE RED !!!

Regards,:busted:

My dad had the same problem on his 06 CRF 450, we both had 06's and his countershaft spacer and pressure washer busted, he didn't notice it in time and it actually stripped his countershaft/shiftshaft, whatever you want to call it. It was a couple hundred bucks to repair and he had to split the cases etc..

Flash forward to 2008... I had just picked up my 2009 CRF 450, bought an X-ring chain immediatley so I wouldn't ruin the stock sprockets and figured I'd run the stupid little spacer too. Well, one day, I was looking over my bike checking the bolts and I noticed that my pressure washer and spacer had cracked and broke also.

So hear me out, this never happened on my 2006 model, just my dad's 06 and my 2009. The only difference between the 3 bikes was that my 2006 had a renthal countershaft sprocket.

The conclusion we came to was that the Renthal countershaft had a beefy, flat and thick face where the stupid little spacer rested against. My stock countershaft and his SideWinder countershaft did not have flat faces, or flat surfaces. They were machined out on the backsides to save weight.

Therefore, the little spacer was not fully supported and had to absorb alot of the torque on it's own because in the center of the spacer, there was no countershaft surface.

I know this probably sounds stupid, but seriously, get yourself a countershaft that has a solid and full surface on the backside. If not, you'll learn the hard way like my dad and it's going to cost you some bucks.

By the way, we both had Red Loctite on ours when this happened, it won't save u. My dad is very lucky he didn't wad the chain right into the cases or worse, wad it up when your flying up a jump face or zipping across the desert at 80 mph.

I had the same problem when i ran that little spacer, the thrust washer broke into three pieces. With the xring chain you can ditch the spacer and let the chain rub the engine case or use the bolt washer setup from the 04 if I remember. I bought a t ring and been using it for 2.5 yrs now it's the best chain imo.

You can avoid this problem by running the DID 520VT t-ring chain. It was designed specifically for our bikes and does not require any spacers to clear the cases. It's lighter and lasts just as long as an x-ring too.

Hmmm....how bad does the x-ring chain rub the case? I did notice that 3 of the threads on the bolt looked stripped...the 3 that are closest to the head. Both times this happened....i never found the crush washer...the washer that sits over the sprocket that holds the bolt and the sprocket together. I do have a spacer on the back of the sprocket to keep the chain off the case. But i wonder why now all of sudden after 3 seasons this problem happens when i haven't changed anything on the bike. If i get the DID 520 VT chain...do i have to get a new rear sprocket?

thanks

But i wonder why now all of sudden after 3 seasons this problem happens when i haven't changed anything on the bike. If i get the DID 520 VT chain...do i have to get a new rear sprocket?

thanks

It depends on whether or not you have aluminum sprockets and there is any visible wear on them. If you have three seasons of riding on them, I'd would assume that there is enough wear that everything should be replaced. If you have a steel rear, you may be able to get away with just replacing the chain.

i have an ironman rear and stock front. Do you need to replace front sprockets as well? Maybe i will look into the VT chain and possibly a new rear...that will probably be $200. Ugh!

i have an ironman rear and stock front. Do you need to replace front sprockets as well? Maybe i will look into the VT chain and possibly a new rear...that will probably be $200. Ugh!

Ironman sprockets are the best. I would inspect them for any hooking of the teeth. If there is no visible hooking of the teeth, you may be okay just replacing the chain.

Just replace the front sprocket/ countershaft. Obviously if your rear sprocket and chain are work, replace them too. I found that I don't need the spacer on my 09, maybe you should try without it too.

Heres the deal and I never lost a Retaining bolt yet. Use RED Loctite everytime you take out the bolt and torque it to Honda Spec. RED is the proper color. Its Green that you don't want to use as its for sleeves and press fits. Second, order a new spring washer but for an 02 or 03 CRF450. It is tha all steel 1 piece design. The newer 2 piece with aluminum center is garbage. They break all the time.

Third - to the one guy who thinks its a reverse thread bolt...its not. It you are using one I suggest you go buy a new counter shaft brother. Yours is stripped now. The sprocket drives forward and the bolt tightens clockwise.

ok....so i am assuming if my counter shaft is stripped...you have to split the case to replace it?

Hrmm..ya, you're splitting the cases. To the guy that thinks the steel washer is all that, I'll take a pic of mine, in 6 pieces. Do what I said, or you'll be replacing the spline for a 2nd time, get a good countershaft sprocket.

This issue has nothing to do with loctite, or left handed thread countershafts?? It does however have to do with undue stress on the countershaft spacer and the pressure washer.

I ran through my stock counter sprocket and then a Renthal front sprocket with fastway spacer and Xring chain. The Renthal and Xring have about 2 years, or 55 hrs on them. When I took the front sprocket off, the washer crumbled into about a half dozen pieces. I don't think it is specific to any one name sprocket, what I do think is that it is a poor design. Note; when I did take everything apart, there were little rocks caught up in the backside of the front sprocket even after i pressure washed her. Im guessing this had something to do with the problem since it is a first for me.