I've just sold my XR650R.

Why would you sell it if you just had to go out and buy another bike anyway?:busted: You don't know what you have till its gone.. The sold my R now I want it back threads are becoming very common lately. I just don't get it, what are people looking for that they don't already have? My R dominates the local woods scene, in fact it's hard to get people to ride with me because they say my bike is just too fast. After a couple mile run I usually have time to lay down and take a nap before the other guys catch up and they are riding big bore bikes.

Like they say, it's lonely at the top.

Why would you sell it if you just had to go out and buy another bike anyway?:busted: You don't know what you have till its gone.. The sold my R now I want it back threads are becoming very common lately. I just don't get it, what are people looking for that they don't already have? My R dominates the local woods scene, in fact it's hard to get people to ride with me because they say my bike is just too fast. After a couple mile run I usually have time to lay down and take a nap before the other guys catch up and they are riding big bore bikes.

You are truly too much.

Honestly?

I had 6 heart attacks 18 months ago then an op etc. Saw my twin boys born dead, nearly lost my Dad who is still in hospital and then i also got Chrons disease. Pretty heady combination of things to happen and to be quite honest, it just blew my confidence to peices.

I now have a young son who is 11 months old and with him being so precious and the likes i just dont want to take the risks anymore. Im basically not man enough for the XR650R anymore. Hows that for honesty?!?!

I have a KDX220R for general off road fun and the odd easy enduro and i want a softer trailie that i can do a few miles easily and maybe take in a bit of off road stuff at the same time. Maybe sad, maybe boring but thats life im afraid. You just have to accept sometimes that you cant do the stuff you used to and although i well miss my XR650 (Ive had a couple) i would hate to see it just become an ornament to impress people up the pub even more.

Quite like some of the KTMs Diablo man but never really ridden one apart from a supermoto. I was actually thinking of having another CCM644 as it happens.

• Like 1

You are truly too much.

Most of the guys don't like to ride with me if I am on my R because they just can't keep up so its not fun for either of us. They don't like trying to figure out where I went and I don't like having to turn around to find them or wait for them. I was joking about the nap thing in case you did not realize:lol: But I often do have to wait a few minutes for everyone else. That's what I meant when I said its lonely at the top. It's like riding a hayabusa when your friends are all on ninja 250's, most of the time your pretty much riding alone.

Honestly?

Im basically not man enough for the XR650R anymore. Hows that for honesty?!?!

It's alright, I know what your going thru man. I live daily with chronic lyme disease for the past few years and some days or weeks its too much to throw the bike around or do much of anything. I live near lyme ct where it originated from woods ticks. I most likely got it from all the deep woods riding I did as a kid. My offdays I am all over the place when I do ride and on my good days im pretty fast. The bike is really too big for me (not as strong as I should be) but its one of the things that I live for so I take great pride in it. There is another honda member on here that I ride with that also had a battle with lyme a few years back but lucky they caught it a bit earlyier so it was more treatable.

Honestly?

I had 6 heart attacks 18 months ago then an op etc. Saw my twin boys born dead, nearly lost my Dad who is still in hospital and then i also got Chrons disease. Pretty heady combination of things to happen and to be quite honest, it just blew my confidence to peices.

I now have a young son who is 11 months old and with him being so precious and the likes i just dont want to take the risks anymore. Im basically not man enough for the XR650R anymore. Hows that for honesty?!?!

I have a KDX220R for general off road fun and the odd easy enduro and i want a softer trailie that i can do a few miles easily and maybe take in a bit of off road stuff at the same time. Maybe sad, maybe boring but thats life im afraid. You just have to accept sometimes that you cant do the stuff you used to and although i well miss my XR650 (Ive had a couple) i would hate to see it just become an ornament to impress people up the pub even more.

Quite like some of the KTMs Diablo man but never really ridden one apart from a supermoto. I was actually thinking of having another CCM644 as it happens.

Rob,

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. :busted:

Good luck with health, father and enjoy every second of that little boy of yours bro.:moon:

Best of wishes for you and yours Rob.

I think that you are making the right decisions for what is most important in your life. We may all like to talk about how much our riding really means to us, or is us, but compared to family riding truly is a trivial matter.

PC...

No offense, but I think that there is more to the reasons that people don't want to ride with you.

Everyone that I know likes to ride with people that are faster than them so that they in turn are "forced" to ride faster or can pick up tips to make them faster. Or they like to ride with people that they just enjoy being around.

So if you are that much faster with your 650R in the woods (look out Scott Summers!) then maybe people just don't like being around you when riding for whatever reason.

And before you flame me for this, just know that this is coming from experience on my part. I ran out of riding buddies for a little while until my best friend had a little "coming to Jesus" meeting with me to let me know to pull my head out. It isn't about being fast. It is about attitude. Now all of the guys who hated riding with me are more than happy to meet me for a spin at any time again. It just took a little attitude and ego check on my part.

• Like 1

Riding big bore thumpers on British trails can be very physically demanding - our greenlanes are generally very deeply rutted and slick - more suited to the instant power and agility of small two strokes. I love my XR 600, but I don' t think I would try to ride it off road if I had suffered six heart attacks. If a smaller trail bike means you can keep riding safely, go that way Rob, it' s only a bike.

Honestly?

it just blew my confidence to peices.

Sorry this has happened to you and your family.

No confidence...must slow down...dont want to take risks...not man enough for the XR650R...tired of light speed..

Maybe and XR650L will work for you.:busted:

Very unfortunate for you.

It puts things into perspective though, for me my R is only a toy and if things got to tough to hold onto it and maintain my families lifestyle it would be gone.

Rob hope the pain disipates in time, it can be hard to find the silver lining in your cloud, makes one appreciate what one's got I suppose.

Chin up, the next bike is alway's just around the corner.

Cheers all, much appreciated.

Were Ok now, things have generally turned out ok and as usual the old stiff upper lip cuts in. (bloody silly old British :busted: )

Its just the self preservation thing on the bike front really thats the issue now. I still love my bikes and have no intention of ever being without them and my 11 month old son seems to have a passion for them already aswell. I've just slowed down thats all and ive never been one for having things that are pointless just to be cool if that makes any sense????

There are a couple of other reasons. I like doing my Rally/Enduro's and on the XR (and KDX for that matter) you are in the sports bike class. I want something slightly softer so i can go in the trail bike class, maybe not look so slow in the results at the end of it :moon:

I may actually go for another DRZ400 as it happens. I'm lucky that i can afford more than one bike so the KDX is staying and i still want a 4 stroke thumper (nice to have bikes that are different. Pointless having 2 thumpers which i have done for a long time).

I dont know what to say, my post about recent events wasnt supposed to be depressing or down, its just a reason for the change in bikes and my slowing down and taking life a bit easier as i was asked why get rid of the XR. The replies are appreciated though. Cheers again all.

When I had a "little experience" a few years ago, just the opposite happened. I had a custom bike shop where I built v twins etc. I let it all go and got a xrl and have been having a ball with my 9 year old who has already outgrown his yamaha 90. We go camping and ride as much as we can. I keep away from the competition stuff as that was for when I was younger. Man, good luck with your desicions and in no time at all that son of yours will be riding alongside. Cheers Mate.

To hell with the bike! Your head is in the right spot, buddy. You kept your focus on what really matters, and i am proud of you for that. Now is the time for you to reflect on your life, and the good times, work on getting over the ailments of your disease, spend extra time with Dad, of course- and most of all, love and adore that baby! You are doing the right thing, and you will be one of the few that will have no regrest when it's all a done game. Good luck on your "trip" (life..) I wish you the best, God be with you, your Dad, your baby, and everyone around you. G'day! -Josh

• Like 1

Just wanted to say cheers again and a happy new year to you all.

Anyway, its cold out, its wet and dirty and its 5.23am. Best time to be out on the KDX i think so im going for my first ride this year.

Oh, if anyone has a nice late shaped XR650L they want to send over to Britain just let me know cause they are as rare as rocking horse poo (see, i can be polite :thinking: ).

Cheers again all.

Rob, not being silly, but have you considered something much "softer"? A transalp or Africa Twin or similar could be right up your street. The transalp will rally quite well, and even complete (not compete though!) the odd easy enduro. As you know there's a good body of knowledge out on them too!

Good desision though bud, at the end of the day maximum happiness for all is the key.