Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Rv #2 ?

Am I the only one that is shocked over RV Sporting the # 2. I realize after wining an outdoor lites or open championship you get to pick a one digit number. I get the fact that Doug Henry and John Dowd compete every year to keep there numbers. I thought RC set the standard by not changing his number ( some would argue MC started it but he was number 2 by that time anyway.) I like the fact the riders are more recognizable with the same numbers. It was kinda fun seeing some one fast at the beginning of the year wondering who it was. But my question is did he have to pick # 2. My thought is since we recognize TP # 199, RC # 4 JS # 7 etc. I think it is disrespectful to MC to run # 2 I don't know if it was done on purpose or not. Just my 2 cents. Heck MC might of told him to who knows

Weimer has Henry's number now. I have been wondering why isn't 5 and 6 available. Larocco and Lamson have not raced in years.

Well lets see the one digit numbers available

9 Ivan Tedesco

8 Grant Langston

7 James Stewart

Nobody that I know of has number 5 and 6

4 Ricky Carmicheal

I dont think anybody has number 3.

Villopoto picked number 2

And the ama keeps number 1 for the Champion! Like RV in the lites class!

also, i think this year the AMA/FIM is forcing the champs to run their #1 plates, right?

I for one would love to see the number 1 plate in use again. #3 was brownie but I don't know if he scored any AMA points last year.

Weimer has Henry's number now. I have been wondering why isn't 5 and 6 available. Larocco and Lamson have not raced in years.

Lamson raced Hangtown last year.

also, i think this year the AMA/FIM is forcing the champs to run their #1 plates, right?

That's right from what I read. I bet MC got a call about it, maybe even was asked permission even though it's not needed since MC didn't score a point to keep it.

Why does he have to do that? McGrath could have gone out and score points but he didnt. Brownie scored points this year so he'll keep the number 3 another season.

Number 2 looks good on a bike and i think its cool RV is running it showing he is a reigning champ.

Reigning champ of the lites class. I am just old school I guess. I hate to see our sport get ruined by a bunch a disrespectful punks. Half of the racer probably don't know about what happened 10 year let alone 20. Supercross is celebrating 35 years this year. If it wasn't for the older guys these punks would be riding their bmx bikes.

Reigning champ of the lites class. I am just old school I guess. I hate to see our sport get ruined by a bunch a disrespectful punks. Half of the racer probably don't know about what happened 10 year let alone 20. Supercross is celebrating 35 years this year. If it wasn't for the older guys these punks would be riding their bmx bikes.

I dont think its being disrespectful or a punk to choose to run a particular number......

Picking a number is not disrespectful. But it is respectful not to pick a number because of who had it last. My opinion. I would not run a number in any motorsport of an Icon. I would feel the same way if he picked 5 because of The Rock. We just nee more respectful people like RC MC Dungy.

If you truly cared about the old school, then seeing RV run the number 2 AS A PERMANENT NUMBER should tick you off because it is a permanent number AND NOT EARNED!!!

Not that RV did not earn the right to run the number 2, but by the "old school" method I am pretty sure that Tim Ferry should be running the #2 based on combined SX and MX points.

Man, do I miss the days of someone earning a number and having to wear it. I hate the permanent number B.S.

RV is definetly NOT a disrespectful punk!!!!

Lamson raced Hangtown last year.

you sure he raced there last year? I was there and dont recall him racing there. In 06 he raced there on his old cr125.

I for one would love to see the number 1 plate in use again. #3 was brownie but I don't know if he scored any AMA points last year.

I'm pretty sure he earned some points last year with YOT when he came back from Europe.

Jeez, it's just a number. News Flash, Jeremy isn't remembered as "the great #2". He is remembered as Showtime who helped explode the sport into the mainstream. If you want to piss and moan about some stupid numbers, maybe we should start running the normal 1-999. Then once we as a group of fans have determined who is the "real" numbered rider we will move on to a sub group. So RV will be number 2C (Hannah, MC were before him), Weimer will be number 19B (Doug Henry before him) and james will now be number 7D (due to Stanton, Johnson, and Broc Glover having worn this number previously) Problem Solved.

Or just run the number you earned like a real man.

On a side note, any champion who would wear the #1 Plate must run it like this again.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/membersonly/museum/images/b24/classaug_600.jpg

hey when all else fails , maybe the ama will just get rid of the whole numbers idea and the riders can just have their last name on all 3 plates ...

let 'em run what they want to run, you can't hang on to the past forever :busted:

hey when all else fails , maybe the ama will just get rid of the whole numbers idea and the riders can just have their last name on all 3 plates ...

let 'em run what they want to run, you can't hang on to the past forever :busted:

Has anyone seen how small the numbers will be this year! Most of the number plates can/will be used for sponsors with a smal section in the corner for numbers...