Sign in to follow this  

Chain advice

I just picked up a used RM250 and I replaced the chain and sprockets. When I bought the chain my budget only let me get a DID 520 chain (the cheap one) now after every ride and sometimes between rides I have had to adjust it. What do you guys recommend because I know some chains rub the cases etc? Whatever chain is on my 08 RMZ 450 is great I have had to adjust it 3 times in 4 months. and I ride every weekend. Anyway, give me your thoughts on a good chain.

I like o-ring chains and have had good longevity with minimal adjustment on them, with one exception. I bought a couple chains off ebay that were no-name o-ring chains. The one I used on my CR 250 sheared off mid air over a jump. twisted that puppy right off. I won't buy anything but name-brand o-ring chains now.

I bought the el-cheapo O-ring (or was it X-ring?) Primary Drive stuff from Rocky Mountain and steel sprockets because I run in nasty mud most of the year. and have adjusted the chain maybe twice since I put it on over a year ago. the cost of the chain and sprockets was insanely low...and it has out performed my expectations greatly.

I think the sprockets and chain were just over $50 when I ordered them. You can pay a little more for aluminum but , but for me, I didn't see the need to a lighter rear sprocket.

Looks like they are $72-88 now.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&page=2&navTitle=Drive&webTypeId=123&webCatId=9

I generally use the Renthal R1 chain, they are very good quality and seem to last a very long time, however its not an O-ring. The RMZ comes standard with an O-ring chain and if you are finding a DID stretches mid ride then you probably do need an O-ring chain.

Without opening a can of worms, I have found the biggest chainge i've made to chain life is NOT using chain lube. When I used to lube my chains mud and dust would cling to them and they seemed to stretch very quickly. Now I simply lube them with a water displacing solvent (WD40 for example) periodically and now my chains look new, keep clean and don't stretch.

I generally use the Renthal R1 chain, they are very good quality and seem to last a very long time, however its not an O-ring. The RMZ comes standard with an O-ring chain and if you are finding a DID stretches mid ride then you probably do need an O-ring chain.

Without opening a can of worms, I have found the biggest chainge i've made to chain life is NOT using chain lube. When I used to lube my chains mud and dust would cling to them and they seemed to stretch very quickly. Now I simply lube them with a water displacing solvent (WD40 for example) periodically and now my chains look new, keep clean and don't stretch.

He is kinda right. I use PB Blaster as a cleaner and lube on my chains it does a great job, but you can't use it on o-ring chains. I also use the chain wax when the chain is new.

It has been my experience that most any chain will do. I stay away from the expensive ones and go right for the bargains or sales. I also don't buy into the O-ring and x-ring gimmicks.

I bought the el-cheapo O-ring (or was it X-ring?) Primary Drive stuff from Rocky Mountain and steel sprockets because I run in nasty mud most of the year. and have adjusted the chain maybe twice since I put it on over a year ago. the cost of the chain and sprockets was insanely low...and it has out performed my expectations greatly.

I think the sprockets and chain were just over $50 when I ordered them. You can pay a little more for aluminum but , but for me, I didn't see the need to a lighter rear sprocket.

Looks like they are $72-88 now.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&page=2&navTitle=Drive&webTypeId=123&webCatId=9

+1

I completely agree with Rhino, I bought Primary Drive chain and sprockets for my DRZ and have only had to adjusted it twice in ~2K mi. of combined street and offroad riding.

For less than $90 for the set I don't think you can beat them for that price.

M

I bought a Primary Drive aluminum sprocket and a gold chain for a 125 I had for the price you cant beat it. That was the hardest chain to break linkage on I can tell you that