Chain advice

I just picked up a used RM250 and I replaced the chain and sprockets. When I bought the chain my budget only let me get a DID 520 chain (the cheap one) now after every ride and sometimes between rides I have had to adjust it. What do you guys recommend because I know some chains rub the cases etc? Whatever chain is on my 08 RMZ 450 is great I have had to adjust it 3 times in 4 months. and I ride every weekend. Anyway, give me your thoughts on a good chain.

I put the Renthal R3-o-ring chain on my 250 and i haven't had to adjust it much.

I like o-ring chains and have had good longevity with minimal adjustment on them, with one exception. I bought a couple chains off ebay that were no-name o-ring chains. The one I used on my CR 250 sheared off mid air over a jump. twisted that puppy right off. I won't buy anything but name-brand o-ring chains now.

I bought the el-cheapo O-ring (or was it X-ring?) Primary Drive stuff from Rocky Mountain and steel sprockets because I run in nasty mud most of the year. and have adjusted the chain maybe twice since I put it on over a year ago. the cost of the chain and sprockets was insanely low...and it has out performed my expectations greatly.

I think the sprockets and chain were just over $50 when I ordered them. You can pay a little more for aluminum but , but for me, I didn't see the need to a lighter rear sprocket.

Looks like they are $72-88 now.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&page=2&navTitle=Drive&webTypeId=123&webCatId=9

I generally use the Renthal R1 chain, they are very good quality and seem to last a very long time, however its not an O-ring. The RMZ comes standard with an O-ring chain and if you are finding a DID stretches mid ride then you probably do need an O-ring chain.

Without opening a can of worms, I have found the biggest chainge i've made to chain life is NOT using chain lube. When I used to lube my chains mud and dust would cling to them and they seemed to stretch very quickly. Now I simply lube them with a water displacing solvent (WD40 for example) periodically and now my chains look new, keep clean and don't stretch.

the chains fine its just that since its brand new it has to stretch a lot wich means a lot of adjustments

I like the RK X-Ring from Rocky Mountain. Good price, too.

Thanks for the info. Think I will order a Renthal....

I generally use the Renthal R1 chain, they are very good quality and seem to last a very long time, however its not an O-ring. The RMZ comes standard with an O-ring chain and if you are finding a DID stretches mid ride then you probably do need an O-ring chain.

Without opening a can of worms, I have found the biggest chainge i've made to chain life is NOT using chain lube. When I used to lube my chains mud and dust would cling to them and they seemed to stretch very quickly. Now I simply lube them with a water displacing solvent (WD40 for example) periodically and now my chains look new, keep clean and don't stretch.

He is kinda right. I use PB Blaster as a cleaner and lube on my chains it does a great job, but you can't use it on o-ring chains. I also use the chain wax when the chain is new.

It has been my experience that most any chain will do. I stay away from the expensive ones and go right for the bargains or sales. I also don't buy into the O-ring and x-ring gimmicks.

I bought the el-cheapo O-ring (or was it X-ring?) Primary Drive stuff from Rocky Mountain and steel sprockets because I run in nasty mud most of the year. and have adjusted the chain maybe twice since I put it on over a year ago. the cost of the chain and sprockets was insanely low...and it has out performed my expectations greatly.

I think the sprockets and chain were just over $50 when I ordered them. You can pay a little more for aluminum but , but for me, I didn't see the need to a lighter rear sprocket.

Looks like they are $72-88 now.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&page=2&navTitle=Drive&webTypeId=123&webCatId=9

+1

I completely agree with Rhino, I bought Primary Drive chain and sprockets for my DRZ and have only had to adjusted it twice in ~2K mi. of combined street and offroad riding.

For less than $90 for the set I don't think you can beat them for that price.

M

I bought a Primary Drive aluminum sprocket and a gold chain for a 125 I had for the price you cant beat it. That was the hardest chain to break linkage on I can tell you that