Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Always borrowed dad's trailers, but need to buy my own, expect to pay how much? help

Just to give everyone a general idea of what i'm wanting... About a 20 ft. enclosed trailer, cabinets up front, lights, and a finished over inside (not the original wood look) I've gotten some prices everything to completely bone stock at about $4500 up to a completely finished inside with a few more extras then what i listed for around $9500. Just curious what people pay for trailers? Are there a lot of mark-up on trailers like on cars/trucks or very little mark-up like on motorcycles? So i can get a good feel of how to wheel and deal with the dealerships when buying one. Thanks

Just to give everyone a general idea of what i'm wanting... About a 20 ft. enclosed trailer, cabinets up front, lights, and a finished over inside (not the original wood look) I've gotten some prices everything to completely bone stock at about $4500 up to a completely finished inside with a few more extras then what i listed for around $9500. Just curious what people pay for trailers? Are there a lot of mark-up on trailers like on cars/trucks or very little mark-up like on motorcycles? So i can get a good feel of how to wheel and deal with the dealerships when buying one. Thanks

In the current economic times and the way people are having fire sales on "toy" items, the last place I would shop is a dealer.

I'd be shopping hard for a clean, good shape used one. There is very little to go wrong on an enclosed trailer-tires, brakes, axles, bearings, etc.

In the current economic times and the way people are having fire sales on "toy" items, the last place I would shop is a dealer.

I'd be shopping hard for a clean, good shape used one. There is very little to go wrong on an enclosed trailer-tires, brakes, axles, bearings, etc.

bad thing is i have.... and stuff i've found is basically really close to what i've looked at from dealers!

bad thing is i have.... and stuff i've found is basically really close to what i've looked at from dealers!

The fully equipped, decked out trailers are a 'niche" market, and the sellers are usually clueless as to what demand there is for them. They ask high prices thinking they're going to sell them for what they paid for them. In reality, they become long term lawn ornaments and eventually the sellers will take any somewhat reasonable offer to get them gone.

Can't hurt to try....start lowballing and don't be in a hurry-you will find someone desperate for cash that'll take that offer.

Ch is right to a point...You should check out a dealer since they are all (private and dealerships) wanting tpo move their product badly. If you go to a dealer and find a unit you're interested in ask how long they've had it on the lot...If it's been a while then they probably brought it in at a higher price and need to recoup what they've put into it or, you may get lucky and find a dealer that'll want to "move metal" so as to clear a unit off their books (so to speak)!

well i bought a 2005 campmaster 26foot. living area in front and 12 foot garage in back. i paid 10 grand for it and it was mint, only used a couple times..

they usally go for about 20 grand i think but im not sure..

i got a 12 foot inclosed trailer single axle for 2500..

not sure if that helps or not.