Sign in to follow this  

Tire studs taking bites from pipe guard

Hi All,

Until this winter I always ran studs on my 4-st's. This year I'm running them on my 07 300.

This is not so much a suspension question since I'm very happy with its performance.

During G-outs the studs take bites from the carbon eline guard on a Gnarly pipe. Its pretty much ruined. :busted::moon:

It's not going as far as to hit the pipe but just the guard.

I can't see any way to correct this.

When looking at the stock pipe on a 09 300 it looks like maybe... just maybe there's a little more space between the pipe and tire. O don't have the stocker for the 07, (mashed it)

The forks were recently rebuilt and set at the std. size air chamber height of 110 mm. The springs are correct for my weight and the forks are about 5 mm up through the top clamp. Compression is six clicks to the plus side from stock setting.

Anybody else have this happening?

Any possible solutions without spring changes?

Thanks

Would it be possible to post some photo's of whats going on so we can have a visual on whats occurring?

Thanks

I'll lower the forks through the clamps and give it another try.

The 07 300 XCW doesn't have the 18-20 degree clamps. The XC did.

Here's a pic. The guard is pretty much toast. I guess I could do an epoxy repair.

I'd like to install the studs on a 09 but shutter at the thought of trashing the new guard on the stock pipe.

Its not deep enough to hit the pipe.

P1010012-2.jpg

I have a Trelly Studded front on my 08 300 XC-w with stock pipe and carbon pipe guard and as far as I know I havent hit the pipe with mine.

The shock mudflap on the other hand is taking a beating.

P1010003.jpg

I just looked tonight. No studd contact with my pipe guard

When you run Ice studs you always take a risk or fork, pipe, swingarm, and lastic damage without taking really strong percations.

Or flesh.....:thinking:

If you're just ice riding (frozen flat track) I would remove the pipe guard altogether....the chances of hitting it on a log or rock are pretty slim.

I took some measurements and found that the Gnarly pipe is a little more forward than the stocker on my 09. So I chanced it and ran the studs on my 09 without problems.

what tire? Can you go to an 80 instead of a 90?

That would probably work. I'll check it out, Thanks

Trelleborg studs are at least 1/2" long when they are new. On the rear, it's best to space the silencer/SA out 1/4" on the 4 strokes. Yeah, the front flap gets chewed up a little.

Forgot about the 2 stroke pipes. Drop the forks. I know you'll make up rake when you run over your buddy in front of you with the studs.