Fueling problem KTM 200

Hi i have a 2000 KTM 200, just had the engine fully rebuilt by a good reputable engineering company, up untill i blew a big end on the bike it ran beautifull, just got my engine back put it in and refitted my carb and it seems to run smooth until im riding it and shut the throttle off and you can feel it surge and fire, i have tried loads of things: cleaned the carb and filter, lowered the needle to shut the fuel off quicker, tried a new (NGK BR8EG) plug, all to getting no closer to curing this fault. Can anyone help please.............

Hi i have a 2000 KTM 200, just had the engine fully rebuilt by a good reputable engineering company, up untill i blew a big end on the bike it ran beautifull, just got my engine back put it in and refitted my carb and it seems to run smooth until im riding it and shut the throttle off and you can feel it surge and fire, i have tried loads of things: cleaned the carb and filter, lowered the needle to shut the fuel off quicker, tried a new (NGK BR8EG) plug, all to getting no closer to curing this fault. Can anyone help please.............

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your description.

I think your describing something I'd call "run-on"

Does it accelerate fine?

When you close the throttle is it a fast, (chop) to the close position or slow closure? Does it do it each (fast or slow )?

The first thing I'd look for is a air leak. Make sure the boot, downstream of the carb, has no tears and is seated and clamped properly. Make sure the reed block is seated and gasketed.

Hi,

yeah it is trying to run on and it dont matter if i chop it off or ease it off slowly, but i have only just noticed that when the bike is cold its fine for the 1st 10mins until it warms up and then it starts to do it then but only when in motion and seems fine when stationary. Cheers Karl

is lean, maybe why it ruined the motor before also. That is called surging and its a lean condition. COULD be an air leak, but probly jetting. Try raising the needle and maybe turn the air screw in 1 turn.