E-Button

E-button broke(the little lever broke),did a search and found that someone use a momentary push button switch from Radio shack.A 3amp is all I could find,will that handle the juice to start the bike, is there something else out there? I am just worried about burning something out! :busted:

It doesn't need to be a big heavy duty switch since it's only activating a relay. The relay handles the full power to the starter. You probably want something that is water resistant to some degree but you don't need anything too fancy.

When I first got my DR it had a horn button from Autozone clamped to the handlebar for a starter switch.. it worked pretty well but was funky looking. If you can get the parts the button isn't hard to fix. Of course if you are the creative type epoxy putty can be used to make a new button... it's a really simple switch with like 3 parts to it.

Why not just replace the original part that broke?

I think it may have been my post that you read as I broke off my starter switch and replaced it with a momentary switch from Radio Shack. I think I posted something about it in response to a question similar to your's.

When I replaced mine I looked into the required amperage of the switch, but I couldn't figure it out, so I just went with what RS had on the shelf. If my memory is correct the RS switch I bought was rated for 3 Amps.

Here's the rundown: On the right side switch gear housing there is a big blank space above the starter switch (at least on Canadian models). For the switch I bought, I drilled a hole in the housing to install it. The back of the switch has a threaded end which goes into the housing and is secured with a 10mm nut. I soldered the wiring up and covered with shrink wrap. It looks sano and has been trouble free. I worried that given the exposure to the elements the Radio Shack switch might not stand up. Since I did the mod in the summer of 2004 I have not a problem.

Here's a picture (sorry it's a little blurry - starter is square red button on the bottom):

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=50742

Hope this helps.

Jason

worst case, you spend how many hours trying to fix something to end up stranded somewhere trying to bump start your ride - best case you spend $60 to get the replacement control?

worst case, you spend how many hours trying to fix something to end up stranded somewhere trying to bump start your ride - best case you spend $60 to get the replacement control?

Why not just replace everything with factory parts? Because you can upgrade the stock junk with better!

The momentary e-switch upgrade takes less than 1 hour to do (if you have any skill), is cheaper ($10), durable (4+ years so far, in all elements), and works better (less apt to break off in a crash).

When I broke the stock switch off riding solo way out in the middle of nowhere, I started the bike by bridging the starter contacts with the factory supplied screw driver form the tool kit. The same would apply with any switch.

Hmmmmmm... why make the bike better?

Jason

Why not just replace everything with factory parts? Because you can upgrade the stock junk with better!

The momentary e-switch upgrade takes less than 1 hour to do (if you have any skill), is cheaper ($10), durable (4+ years so far, in all elements), and works better (less apt to break off in a crash).

When I broke the stock switch off riding solo way out in the middle of nowhere, I started the bike by bridging the starter contacts with the factory supplied screw driver form the tool kit. The same would apply with any switch.

Hmmmmmm... why make the bike better?

Jason

Not tryin to step on any toes but broken switch or not the only problem I see here is riding alone .

Thanks for the reply's.Yeah after thinking about it it just activates the relay,doesn't need a lot of amps:banghead: .

Yes i believe it was JP4's post that I saw.Didn't need to bump start, I shorted it out with my other set of key's.

A 2.50 switch is a lot better than the expensive stock and waiting for it to come in.

I bought a smaller round at RS,it's rated at 3 amp/125v.As for riding alone,the bus is leaving and nobody else is on it.

Post pic's later

Here's a pic of the custom E-button mod;

SANY0004.jpg

Here's a pic of the custom E-button mod;

st1.jpg

Nice job! :thinking:

i've been thinking about cleaning up my handlebars lately myself. friend of mine got a ktm and his hot start and kill button are tiny compared to the ones on my dr:cry: i'd like to get rid of the turn signals and all that too for something a little sleeker/smaller.

Milk, i went with the the KTM switch assembly as suggested and indicated by LukasM. With the KTM you have the option of attaching the turn signal switch to the bottom of the light switch. The reason i made the change is because when i had the OEM switch housing apart to get the OEM clutch perch off, i noticed that the wires were bare and had been cut by that little metal tab inside the housing. The lever assy. i puchased works fine with the KTM and would not work with the OEM.

Milk, i went with the the KTM switch assembly as suggested and indicated by LukasM. With the KTM you have the option of attaching the turn signal switch to the bottom of the light switch. The reason i made the change is because when i had the OEM switch housing apart to get the OEM clutch perch off, i noticed that the wires were bare and had been cut by that little metal tab inside the housing. The lever assy. i puchased works fine with the KTM and would not work with the OEM.

i'm going to look into that. thanks :thinking:

I run super narrow bars and wanted to reduce clutter, this is what I used, two momentary switches from highwaydirtbikes.com and a cnc mount from them as well, works great! Mounts in place of the back bracket for clutch or front brake lever assembly. When I had my DR I hated all the crap I had on the bars. hdb.jpg

I run super narrow bars and wanted to reduce clutter, this is what I used, two momentary switches from highwaydirtbikes.com and a cnc mount from them as well, works great! Mounts in place of the back bracket for clutch or front brake lever assembly. When I had my DR I hated all the crap I had on the bars. hdb.jpg

Sweet setup, I love the stuff from HDB!

Mine is similar with Fastway FIT hand guards, soon to be sporting large Cycra shields and integrated Zeta LED blinkers. Really like the idea of mounting the mirrors there as well. How do they work, good enough as a full replacement for a street bike? They look far enough outside enough to be useful but quite small. What about vibration?

Not tryin to step on any toes but broken switch or not the only problem I see here is riding alone .

Riding alone is a problem?

Sweet setup, I love the stuff from HDB!

Mine is similar with Fastway FIT hand guards, soon to be sporting large Cycra shields and integrated Zeta LED blinkers. Really like the idea of mounting the mirrors there as well. How do they work, good enough as a full replacement for a street bike? They look far enough outside enough to be useful but quite small. What about vibration?

I think they work good enough for a street bike, not sure if they would mount well enough to a set of Fastways, part of the reason they are so stable is how they mount to the HDB handguards and the fact that the HDB guards are so stable themselves.

Riding alone is a problem?

Apparantly guys like you and me have a problem. We don't believe that we need the NANNY state to protect us from ourselves!

You know the first sign of a problem is denial. Time for us to give up our autonomy and free thinking for the syruppy comfort of banality!

**** that! I'm a big boy who can take care of himself. I can't believe that some guy would get on TT and chastise somebody for riding solo.

Right on Nordie Boy, thanks for commenting on what I was thinking.

OK, that's my rant.

**** that! I'm a big boy who can take care of himself. I can't believe that some guy would get on TT and chastise somebody for riding solo.

Amen to that.

Sure there's some additional risk to riding solo but riding motorcycles is full of risk anyway. Sometimes I have to ride solo to get a real riding fix. My riding buddies are great but they aren't usually up to a 500 mile a day weekend.