yz 125 Competitive with 250f's?

What do you guys think? I am usually top 3 on my 06 yz250f, but i just picked up a 04 yz 125 that I am going to completely restore and would like to race it instead. Think I can still be competitive with the 250f's?

yeah if you can ride it properly, you should be able to do quite well.

depends what type of track it is, on a tight track you might have an advantage because the yz125 would probable accelerate faster but the 250fs have higher top speed, from my personal experience, most of the time the 250f's are alot faster than the 125's on the track, but then again, it all depends on the rider...

depends what type of track it is, on a tight track you might have an advantage because the yz125 would probable accelerate faster but the 250fs have higher top speed, from my personal experience, most of the time the 250f's are alot faster than the 125's on the track, but then again, it all depends on the rider...

+1 on that, totally agree, you can do it

No, unless you ride your 250f in 2nd gear bouncing off the rev limiter the whole time you should be faster on the four stroke. It makes more power across the entire powerband. The only advantage the 125 would have is in its weight. You can go deeper into corners before getting on the brakes, and its far more flickable than the thumper. Even if you feel like your going crazy fast on the 125, your probably still putting down slower lap times. Its just the way it is. All that being said, you will probably have a stellar time on the 125, they are so light and you can really open of the throttle, which can make you feel like a total here when you are opening the throttle wide open every chance you get.

One thing is for certain you will have a great time trying! As mjbd says the main (only) advantage you'd have is the lesser weight helping you to out brake the others in the turns, but you'd have to be committed if you were going to do it. I still race my 125 with no problems, but the club I race at is very laid back with lots of people on older bikes just out to have a good time. There is another club I sometimes go to that take their racing very seriously, i'm not sure i'd take the 2t there.

Good luck

I always thought that the 250F was alot faster on the track but after going to some big events I dont really know if im convinced that the 250F is THAT much faster.

Faster? yes

But, maybe not by as much as you might think.

When my son and I were at Mini os we were watching lap times and the school boy class (125s) were running just as quick as the 250F's.

Im talking about all the top kids like Anderson,Mays,Audette,Summers ECT ECT. They were all running in the mid 150s and when they were on there 250Fs the were all about the same. This is not the first time we have seen this either.:busted:

I solid 125 is competive to a stock 250f.

But it does not accelerate faster...that's a myth, no matter the situation. the four banger makes more power, everywhere...

It is MUCH lighter, though the difference is much better felt on the 05 and up...but that's ok.

You can go just as fast on it if you can learn to ride it....I don't know many people who are fast enough to use all a bike can offer....

But in any event, it's very fun bike! If you have the budget, have the head and cylinder worked on, it really can wake it up with some race fuel....and jet it properly....the jetting can make the biggest difference on a two stroke.

Two jet sized big/small can mean the difference of 1 plus hp on a two stroke, they are that sensitive!

I'm an expert level racer and this fall I decided to restore my 04 YZ125. Basically fixed what was broken and added a few little hop up parts. Got the suspension resprung and revalved which made the biggest difference.

I raced it once and was actually very, very competitive on it. The track was pretty wide open so it was difficult down the straights, but the 125 is so good in the turns this is where I made up all my time. It was a little frustrating knowing your a better/faster rider but you keep getting pulled up on down every long straight. I actually wasn't even racing against 250F's but mainly 250 2-strokes and 450 4-strokes. I could have won open expert on the 125 had it not been for the lack of get up and go. I still finished only half a bike length behind first place. Everybody asked me if it was a 144... the funny thing is it only has v-force reed valve and shorty silencer. It's on its 4th piston on the stock cylinder. It has been a very reliable bike.

The 125 is very enjoyable to ride and race on, but if your looking for that extra edge you should be looking elsewhere. They are capable in the right hands but they aren't doing you any favors as far as lap times go.

Just my .02

No, unless you ride your 250f in 2nd gear bouncing off the rev limiter the whole time you should be faster on the four stroke. It makes more power across the entire powerband. The only advantage the 125 would have is in its weight. You can go deeper into corners before getting on the brakes, and its far more flickable than the thumper. Even if you feel like your going crazy fast on the 125, your probably still putting down slower lap times. Its just the way it is. All that being said, you will probably have a stellar time on the 125, they are so light and you can really open of the throttle, which can make you feel like a total here when you are opening the throttle wide open every chance you get.

What the above said is right on.

I will add though, the 05 or newer YZ would have a better chance because of the 6 gear trans and much lighter bike.

I often jump on my wifes 06 Yz125 just to play around on the track with. The 125 only works well against 250'fs if you know how to carry major momentum through the corners and seldom make a mistake, and even then, your just breaking even.

Takes a lot of skill to be fast on a 2 stroke,4 strokes make anyone look good.

Its possible, look at Chris Blose.

Also look at this guy, he has skills too

What do you guys think? I am usually top 3 on my 06 yz250f, but i just picked up a 04 yz 125 that I am going to completely restore and would like to race it instead. Think I can still be competitive with the 250f's?

don't worry, you will still be in the top 10 with the 125 :p

unless, you ride the 125 like justin barcia: http://www.motoxposure.com/tv/video/barcia2stroke.htm :moon:

or, you bore it out to 144cc :busted:

I have seen kids in the open A class smoke 450's on their 125's. You can't be lazy on the 125 either. It will take alot of work to win motos, but the reward is greater.

I have seen kids in the open A class smoke 450's on their 125's. You can't be lazy on the 125 either. It will take alot of work to win motos, but the reward is greater.

Nope, the reward is still a crappy 2 dollar trophey.:busted: Seriously though, some people who are really run and gun riders may have some success on a 125. Most of the time, a rider who is fast on a 125 is even faster on a 250f. The 250f basically allows a rider who doesnt carry as much corner speed to still clear that double or table coming out of the corner. If riders still rode the 250f like they would a 125, they would be that much faster.

If you run tracks that have big jumps right out of corners you will be at a huge disadvantage. You know the story, thumpers lug up the face while the 125 screams bloody murder & still gives you a panic revving I hope I make it. Sucks, but that was the main reason my son went to an F. I had him hold out as long as possible, we ran on '01 YZ125 until winter of '06. He won a LL Area against a gate full of 250f's on th 125 the spring of '06. I was in heaven, other parents enjoyed as much as I, lot's of handshakes and pats on the back.

If you run tracks that have big jumps right out of corners you will be at a huge disadvantage. You know the story, thumpers lug up the face while the 125 screams bloody murder & still gives you a panic revving I hope I make it. Sucks, but that was the main reason my son went to an F. I had him hold out as long as possible, we ran on '01 YZ125 until winter of '06. He won a LL Area against a gate full of 250f's on th 125 the spring of '06. I was in heaven, other parents enjoyed as much as I, lot's of handshakes and pats on the back.

:busted::moon::p

Did he make it to LL's? Didn't he have to do regionals after that?