Sign in to follow this  

Creative ways to carry gas.

I've always had a Gigantic aftermarket fuel tank and I really want to stick to the stock tank for looks and not wanting to add unwanted weight. I know there's a couple different dual sport groups in Michigan and would like to know if anyone has a creative way to carry fuel. There must be something you can: carry fuel in, add it to the tank a few miles down the trail, then roll it up and put it away? Any ideas would be helpful! :busted:

MSR bottles in a pack or side bags. Nothing soft as you describe that is safe although I am sure folks use things that are questionable.

• Like 1

If you don't feel like spending any money you could just fill up empty water bottles or gatorade bottles. Anytime of bottle ect.

The MSR bottles are the way to go. Their safe, an their very light.

I've had good luck using empty oil quart bottles. My vintage mx-er is gas hog in the trails so I pack two or three in a backpack and rip up some wicked single track and have yet to have one leak. I once tied a one gallon gas can in the backpack, but from taking the cap on and off a few time the cap gasket started leaking. Thats what I get for buying the cheapest can I could find I guess.

Get another big tank its always a nice feeling to know the guy your ridding with is carring a extra 3 gallons of fuel ..:busted:

Looking forward to getting a ride in with you in this new year, you should be pretty quick on the new BLUE YAMAHA:moon:

When we did Mio I used 2 33oz msr bottles in my backpack. They carry very well and when empty weigh next to nothing.

+1 on that, that is exactly what i do when i ride desert with my family, but dont go out and buy a price backpack, one crash and the pack is toast, also while you are riding dont wait until your tank is empty put gas in as you get low so you dont have to have that weight on your back.

Listerene bottle work very well also and have a locking cap

i use to carry 1 litter aquafina bottles they work well also

I really appreciate everyone's input, I did not know about the msr bottles and this may be the way to go. I really like Treesmacker's idea for the best free bottle, because of the locking top; smart. I was hoping there was something like this

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/4920692/Collapsible_Fuel_Bladder.html

Just a lot smaller for the camelback.

When we did Mio I used 2 33oz msr bottles in my backpack. They carry very well and when empty weigh next to nothing.

I wish I would of checked out your extra fuel containers, rather then sitting around and sucking down a bunch of bud light. :p

Get another big tank its always a nice feeling to know the guy your ridding with is carring a extra 3 gallons of fuel ..:busted:

Looking forward to getting a ride in with you in this new year, you should be pretty quick on the new BLUE YAMAHA:moon:

Nope, no more driving a super tanker. I quit drinking beer shortly after Mio and have been hitting the gym every other day. A small group of us rode Meadows class 5 single track the day before the Mio ride and I was hurting, next year is going to be different, I'll still be slow; but hope to finish it. :mad:

I'll still be slow;

Huh? If your low I'm a turtle with a busted leg.

I have a large tank for the cr and the ktm. I will switch them from titme to time depending where I'm rideing.MSR bottle sounds like the way to go. It would be my luck to stab a plastic bottle that was in my Camelback with a screw driver and have it be empty when I needed it

I wish I would of checked out your extra fuel containers, rather then sitting around and sucking down a bunch of bud light. :moon:

If I think of it Ill take a few picts tonight as Im installing my new shipment of EE goodies.....Buuuahahahahhah......:busted:

If I think of it Ill take a few picts tonight as Im installing my new shipment of EE goodies.....Buuuahahahahhah......:busted:

What kind of goodies do ya need to put on that thing they already come fully equipped:thumbsup:

What kind of goodies do ya need to put on that thing they already come fully equipped:thumbsup:

I was thinking the same thing.

Huh? If your low I'm a turtle with a busted leg.

:mad: , Well the turtle with the busted leg seems to still be able to hit the gas.:busted::p

If I think of it Ill take a few picts tonight as Im installing my new shipment of EE goodies.....Buuuahahahahhah......:moon:

I wouldn't mind seeing your hook up if you don't mind, I think I'm going to pick up 2 of 33oz msr containers and a bigger camelback to put them in for longer trips.

Allright here is my Sams Club backpack/hydration pack that I paid under $20 for. I replaced the water bladder with a camelback unit as the one that came with it sucked.

PC300004.jpg

Here is my two 33oz MSR bottles in the main pocket

PC300005.jpg

And the 2 bottles pulled out

PC300006.jpg

Also if anyone needs a good way to carry 2-stroke oil with them an 8oz Stabil bottle works great. It has a measuring cup on the side and is a flat bottle so it packs nice. Just empty the stabil from it, flush it out with some gas and fill with your 2-stroke oil of choice.

PC300007.jpg

I wrote how many oz of oil to use for how many gallons on the back for quick referance

PC300008.jpg

Don, I didn't even think of Sam's Club, I was looking at a $100.00 camelback from RockyMountainatv :busted:, I love the setup! Thank you for all your help, hopefully see you out there on the West side this next season.:moon:

Also if anyone needs a good way to carry 2-stroke oil with them an 8oz Stabil bottle works great. It has a measuring cup on the side and is a flat bottle so it packs nice. Just empty the stabil from it, flush it out with some gas and fill with your 2-stroke oil of choice.

PC300007.jpg

I wrote how many oz of oil to use for how many gallons on the back for quick referance

PC300008.jpg

:busted::moon: I should call the COPYWRITE Officer, The one good idea I had for 2008, & someone has already stole it.:p it does work good though,

I carried extra gas up at Mio after eating salsa...:moon:

As far a fuel is concerned, I vote for the MSR bottles.:busted:

Just noticed you sold the BRP. Just won't be the same, not many things can dig up pumpkin sized boulders and fling 'em at ya' like a BRP!:thinking: