Sign in to follow this  

Can I go riding without a chain slider (front swingarm protector)

How 'bout it? I have a ride planned for tomorrow, but my front chain slider that protects the front part of the swingarm fell off recently. Can I ride 50 miles of high speed (45mph average) fire roads without the chain eating into the expensive swingarm?

I have looked at the local dealers and none are in stock. My trails close in 2 days, so I NEED to ride them one more time....

Oh yeah, the bike: 1989 XR600R

Thanks for the help!

The chain will eat it away pretty darm fast.

But if you can't wait. Build up a bunch of layers of duct tape.:busted:

NO WAY...just look at the price of a new swing arm and count that as the price of your ride if you plan to go. If it's worth it, then go ahead. I wouldn't risk it. I know it sucks, but that chain will eat right into the aluminum. Frankly, I don't think you'd even enjoy the ride since you'll be worrying about the swingarm the whole time. The guys did have some good fill-in ideas (duct tape, bed liner stuff), but again, I really think you'll be sweating about the swing arm the whole time. Many a ride has been missed or ruined by one small/cheap part. Bummer...

Ever seen what a chain saw does to wood? LOL Dont do it! Wait or you will be sorry. If you do do it, make sure you post in the thread, "dumbest thing you have done"

i wonder if the bed liner would actually work?

No. Bed liner is supposed to be a non-skid surface, which is the exact opposite of what you want in a chain slider. Bad idea.

DO NOT ride without one. Your swingarm will be hammered in short order. I've seen how fast the chain eats into the swingarm with just a slightly worn-out slider, I can't imagine what it would do with non at all.

How about some hard, thick plastic, like plexiglass in multiple layers, and some self tapping screws into the swingarm?? I know a couple screw holes wouldn't cause much damage if you seal over them when you get the new slider in. :busted:

That sucks. I would not go for it. When I built my gen 3 frame 2 st, I used a swing arm I got on ebay. The previous user didn't know the slider was worn down cause it wasn't worn on top or on bottom enough to hit the swing arm, however it was worn where the swing arm bolt goes through the frame. The chain chewed into the bearing housing so much that it created 2 holes. I had to get it welded up so the bearings would not wear really fast. Besides, Aluminum is really really soft. You can cut it with a razor blade. Your chain will eat it for breakfast. I wouldn't try the self tapping screw method either, the aluminum is so thin that the screws will not get very tight before stripping.

Tape a couple of plastic spoons on it and you'll be fine. :busted:

Just post up pictures of the shredded swingarm after your ride.... :moon:

white flexible plastic cutting board. that stuff is as tuff as a chain protector. countersink and bolt it on. it'll bend/form with a little heat. and keep an eye on it during the ride.

about 20 wrappings of duct tape...

or zip tie a strip of really tough plastic like polypropylene on it...

rubber inner tube in 2-3 layers... <<<<best bet

white flexible plastic cutting board. that stuff is as tuff as a chain protector. countersink and bolt it on. it'll bend/form with a little heat. and keep an eye on it during the ride.

So far I like this idea the best.

safety wire a strip of old tire on...

just cut the tire up with an exacto knife or something...

That sounds like a good one too.

I don't think tires would work to good because they're rubber. I'd go with the cutting board or find a slider from a different bike and make it fit.