2008 KTM 450 EXC-R still CA legal after mods?

Just wondering if the 08 450 EXC-R is still considered street legal in California after the vapor tank has been removed and the inner pipe end enlarged ( a little bit cut off inside the pipe, still has end cap and arrester).

Does anyone know what purpose the little black vapor tank serves other than that of catching any that may spill out? Why does this bike have one and not dirt bikes? Will it affect performance to re-install it?

Thanks

Just wondering if the 08 450 EXC-R is still considered street legal in California after the vapor tank has been removed and the inner pipe end enlarged ( a little bit cut off inside the pipe, still has end cap and arrester).

Does anyone know what purpose the little black vapor tank serves other than that of catching any that may spill out? Why does this bike have one and not dirt bikes? Will it affect performance to re-install it?

Thanks

First off welcome to the forum! :busted:

Technically no it is not legal anymore but you would need to be inspected for anything to really happen. It is all about meeting CA smog laws but I would not worry about it in the least. Nobody in CA is inspecting bikes as of yet.

My buddy with an 07 left everything in place and pulled the drain plug from the bottom of the canister and did the exhaust mod and re-jetted and that was it. His bike runs way better BTW.

You are right about the purpose of the canister and since dirt bikes don't have to meet street smog laws they don't need the canister. That help??

+1

if you ever plan on buying anything new just dont buy it in CA if you have family in another state register it in thier name.. no smog tests, no smog equip to remove...and best of all you dont have to deal with the CA DMV

+1

if you ever plan on buying anything new just dont buy it in CA if you have family in another state register it in thier name.. no smog tests, no smog equip to remove...and best of all you dont have to deal with the CA DMV

DEFINE LEGAL!!

-Do you mean is there a risk of being fined or ticketed? Not enough to be considered plausible. Just like non-DOT tires: no body cares until you are in or cause an accident.

-Do you mean immoral? Certainly not.

-Do you mean un-ethical? No way.

I think I'd be more worried about your crank bearing, and your Oil transfer vaccum conditions.:busted:

As goes california, so goes the country. Every state is catching up to our ridiculos restrictions. Won't be long!

+1

Actually, this is the opposite of what you should do. If you buy it out of state and try to register it in Ca you'll have a crapload of problems. It's easier to buy it in CA, then modify it since you'll be using it on a closed course anyway. You can't modify it for street use. :busted:

i didnt say anything about registration in CA...i mean stay away from the CA dmv completly

It's my understanding that the real risk with this is on the highway. It's when a CHP sees your California plated truck and the bike in the back. Any other place where the bike gets examined could also be an issue. Things like the quick once over you get when entering a SVRA.

Yeah, it's sorta crazy. I bought my old 06' 650L in Arizona then brought the bike with me when I moved to California. Since I had the bike registered as street legal in another state where I was a resident, it carried over into California without having to meet the requirements. Isn't that a thing. Same with my girlfriend's Yamaha dual sport.

My lead sled is gone and I'm VERY happy with my KTM 450. I think it is better suited to the terrain where I live and my body size (the terror factor has gone down since i switched to the KTM), although I am sure there are folks out there who could (or do) just tear it up on one of those huge 650L suckas.

I reckon I ''tampered'' my pollution device...my Husky WR250 smoker...by putting a plate on it. ?

I don't know if it's tampering or not, but I just put some ribs on my Masterbuilt Monarch.......I won't be ready for a plate for about another 8 hours:moon:

happyriding !!

:thinking:?

It's my understanding that the real risk with this is on the highway. It's when a CHP sees your California plated truck and the bike in the back. Any other place where the bike gets examined could also be an issue. Things like the quick once over you get when entering a SVRA.

You don't need to be a resident of another state to have a registered vehicle in another state...you just have to prove you have a residence in another state. That's where friends and family come into play. Just have an address you can use. And when the CHP asks you...tell him/her it's your vacation home and you took your bike to your main home for maintanence and this trip that was coming up...:thinking:

• 2 weeks later...

Messing with any of the emmissions (read intake and exhaust) components is illegal, or at least makes your bike no longer legal for highway use. Aftermarket pipes are typically "techincally illegal" as well. But the reality of it is, as long as you are being blatantly disrespectful or hugely unlucky, you should be fine. If you are trespassing, riding wheelies up and down the street, or generally acting like a jackass, LEO will try to find any reason to put the smack down. Although, I don't know that any would look for emissions specific equipment violations. But those blinkers, mirrors, etc that aren't quite DOT compliant may cost you some money.

The exaust mod is probably the most worrysome. If a CA ranger thinks its loud he will pull you over and test it... no pass- no play! Cops on the street would most likely look at the tires and maybe a canister if they are really suspicious. I dont think they would recognize if the smog stuff has been removed.