neewbie biker,needs coolant advice.

hello,1,5weeks ago i bought my first bike,a 2002 drz400s. the bike had been standing for a while,before i picjed it up. when i picked it up, i noticed that the coolant recovery tank was half full. today,after riding,i noticed that the tank was empty(engine was warm). i opened the rad cap (engine warm),i did not see coolant above the cooland ribs.i filled about 1dl,then the rad was full.

after just checking on cold engine,i again saw engine coolant in the recovery tank,but not as much as the half full tank as it was when i picked it up.should i be concerned about something`?

2morrow i am going to empty the coolant system,and fill new coolant.how do i know when i have filled enough,and how do i check if the system holds the water?

the outside temp here is about 1-4 degrees celsius (norway)

the bike is stock,exept for rs3 exhaust system(mounted after i bought it)

thank you

hello,1,5weeks ago i bought my first bike,a 2002 drz400s. the bike had been standing for a while,before i picjed it up. when i picked it up, i noticed that the coolant recovery tank was half full. today,after riding,i noticed that the tank was empty(engine was warm). i opened the rad cap (engine warm),i did not see coolant above the cooland ribs.i filled about 1dl,then the rad was full.

after just checking on cold engine,i again saw engine coolant in the recovery tank,but not as much as the half full tank as it was when i picked it up.should i be concerned about something`?

2morrow i am going to empty the coolant system,and fill new coolant.how do i know when i have filled enough,and how do i check if the system holds the water?

thank you

The recovery tank is an overflow so it doesn't have to have any coolant in it provided your radiator is full. My overflow has never had more than a few ounces in it even after draining and changing it. Your radiator should hold 1.3 US qts or 1250ml. To put coolant in, fill til it's full and start and run it for a few so it will suck it into the system and then put more in. Do that until it doesn't suck anymore in and you should be good to go, I did mine with the cap off. Just be careful opening it when it's hot...hope this helps you and congrats on your new bike....:busted:

ok,,i will just fill,until the level is steady in the rad.do you loosen any nuts on radiators,or on the head to get the air out?

if you fill more than 1250ml,does the xtra go to the recovery tank,or do you have to fill that up seperatly ( i have read that some have some coolant there to check level when engine is cold,so they know the water hasnt gone anywhere)

ok,,i will just fill,until the level is steady in the rad.do you loosen any nuts on radiators,or on the head to get the air out?

if you fill more than 1250ml,does the xtra go to the recovery tank,or do you have to fill that up seperatly ( i have read that some have some coolant there to check level when engine is cold,so they know the water hasnt gone anywhere)

There should be a bleeder screw on the radiator without the fill cap (left side as sitting on the bike) so the air will push out, I didn't use mine but it's there. I'm not sure about filling the overflow, mine doesn't have a way to do it that I can see. It's just there in the event you boil over...someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I only check mine if it has a puddle under it, otherwise I warm it up and go.

There are 2 bleeders for the DRZ one on the non fill side and one on the water neck.

You can use them to bleed off the system.

Be careful and get a service manual too that will help a lot.

Congrats on the bike and ride safe.

I wouldn't overfill the radiators so there is coolant in the overflow tank, it can cause pressure and problems.

My E doesn't have an overfill tank?

I wouldn't overfill the radiators so there is coolant in the overflow tank, it can cause pressure and problems.

WHAT?

Sorry, no.

The radiators should be full, no air, as should the rest of the system,,AIR FREE.

The reservoir (expansion chamber) is often filled with an inch of so,,, So that the ride always knows if the system is full. :busted:

That is no way to "over fill" coolant system an cause "pressure and problems"

My E doesn't have an overfill tank?

Then it was removed and you should look at replacing it with an OEM tank or one of Eddies "Turkey Baster" replacment tank mods. Yes that sounds funny,,,, Do a searh for Turkey Baster and it will all make sense

WHAT?

Sorry, no.

The radiators should be full, no air, as should the rest of the system,,AIR FREE.

The reservoir (expansion chamber) is often filled with an inch of so,,, So that the ride always knows if the system is full. :busted:

That is no way to "over fill" coolant system an cause "pressure and problems"

I read somewhere that if you overfill coolant into the radiator overflow tank that in "some cases" it will pressurize and now allow coolant back into the radiator. Maybe where I read this wasn't about motorcycles and/or is completely wrong, but I don't see why you would want a visual check when all it takes is 10 seconds to screw off the cap on and off the radiator to check anyway though. Just my opinion.

I'm fine with your opinion :busted: It's the misinformation I'm trying to correct. No malice intended.

Why a visual check? Because every time you unscrew your rad cap, you allow air back in the system.

You can not "pressurize" the coolant reservoir, it is open to the atmosphere.. if it fills to capacity due to over heating and boil over in the rads, it just dumps it on the ground.

So save your self some time, and just look at the res. It takes less then a second (since we are counting time here :moon:) and you will know if your system is full, and not have to bleed air from the cooling system. (more time saving)

I do not know where you read this "information" but you either mis read it, or that source was incorrect.

Not bashing you or anyone else,, but we need to keep facts from fiction when ever possible,

I read somewhere that if you overfill coolant into the radiator overflow tank that in "some cases" it will pressurize and now allow coolant back into the radiator. Maybe where I read this wasn't about motorcycles and/or is completely wrong, but I don't see why you would want a visual check when all it takes is 10 seconds to screw off the cap on and off the radiator to check anyway though. Just my opinion.

thank you

Sorry guys ,take this in Norwegian..:busted:

Hei Kenneth !

Fyll opp til radiatoren er full ,beveg sykkelen litt fra side til side ,fyll på mere, på med lokket, start opp, la den varme seg opp litt. Stopp, la den kjøle seg ned og etterfyll.

Blir det for mye,går det over i tanken bak, og renner til slutt ut.

Steinar

Sorry guys ,take this in Norwegian..:mad:

Hei Kenneth !

Fyll opp til radiatoren er full ,beveg sykkelen litt fra side til side ,fyll på mere, på med lokket, start opp, la den varme seg opp litt. Stopp, la den kjøle seg ned og etterfyll.

Blir det for mye,går det over i tanken bak, og renner til slutt ut.

Steinar

:eek::p That should do it.:busted::moon: You can also squeeze the rad hose lower left from rad to cylinder....." CAREFULLY" to work any air bubbles out. Trick is to get all the air out....:p :p

Held og lykke.

Erling

Need to be good to Kenneth ,he bought my old Yoshi Rs-3:thumbsup:

Need to be good to Kenneth ,he bought my old Yoshi Rs-3:thumbsup:

Ahahhhhhh........:busted::moon:

Erling

i dag drenerte jeg ut det jeg kunne av kjølevann.jeg fylte på ca 1liter etterpå,og nå er resorvar tanken nesten halvfull.. jeg har ikke kjørt den enda. vannet i radiatoren ligger nå rett nedenfor lokket.jeg regner med at etter jeg har kjørt en tur,så vil nivået i radiatoren synke,slik at jeg må etterfylle.vis jeg må etterfylle flere ganger,da bør jeg se etter andre feil enn luft?

jeg forstår ikke helt systemet, reservoar tanken ligger lavere enn på fylling på radiator.vil ikke det da automastisk komme vann der? eller vil dette vannet bli sugd inn i motoren,og det som er for mye komme ut gjennom overflow slangen som er på radiator lokket? jeg er bare litt bekymret,siden vannnivået i resorvar tanken hadde forandret seg,og jeg måtte etterfylle radiatoren. jeg for følge med nå når jeg har skiftet kjølevann..

when i think i have all the air out of the cooling system,and the water level in the radiator is just below the rad cap,will the water level always stay there,engine cold/warm,or would the level change? i just filled about 1liter of coolant,and know the level is just below the rad cap,and there is some fluid in the res.tank.

The overflow to the tank goes from the top of the radiator,just below the cap, you can see the hose going out.

It will fill the reservoair when the coolant gets "too high".

After riding for a while and the engine gets hot,you will probably have to refill a bit, but wait for the coolant to cool down before opening the cap...

The overflow to the tank goes from the top of the radiator,just below the cap, you can see the hose going out.

It will fill the reservoair when the coolant gets "too high".

After riding for a while and the engine gets hot,you will probably have to refill a bit, but wait for the coolant to cool down before opening the cap...

That is another reason to add a few CC's to the reservoir.

as the system heats, the coolant expands, some will go to the bottle. As the system cool, the vacuum created by the contracting coolant will draw coolant in from the bottle. Helps if a small air bubble burps the same way.

That is another reason to add a few CC's to the reservoir.

as the system heats, the coolant expands, some will go to the bottle. As the system cool, the vacuum created by the contracting coolant will draw coolant in from the bottle. Helps if a small air bubble burps the same way.

Jupp ,I always have a 1/2 filled reservoir:thumbsup: