Sign in to follow this  

I finally manned up and took the piston out

Here it is. How is she?

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/Ty230/?action=view&current=topend014.jpg

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/Ty230/?action=view&current=topend015.jpg

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/Ty230/?action=view&current=topend016.jpg

The wrist pin and bearing were mint. Im just unsure of the piston.. even the rings looked new.. maybe the previous owner was cheap and just replaced the rings last time?

Also how do i get the corrosion and crap off of the cylinder studs?? or just leave em with some anti seize? And are each studs supposed to have a gromet on them?

looks like it got hot, but maybe thats normal. your wrist pin wasn't discolored?

topend014.jpg

topend015.jpg

topend016.jpg

Copy the img code from your pics so you can post them in the thread..

It looks like the piston is shot..I would be measureing the cylinder in the second pic it looks like the piston was rocking in the bore. But thats just from looking at the pictures

take some pictures of the front and back of the piston , if its going to fail it usually fails at the intake side .

^^^brad beat me to it

Take some pictures of the piston from the front and back of the cylinder not at the wrist pin. looking at the second pic i would like to see to the left and right of that pic(roll the piston 90 degrees each way)..If that makes any sense to you.

topend014.jpg

topend015.jpg

topend016.jpg

Copy the img code from your pics so you can post them in the thread..

It looks like the piston is shot..I would be measureing the cylinder in the second pic it looks like the piston was rocking in the bore. But thats just from looking at the pictures

i agree

tons of blow by either that way over due or your ring never seated

what do you mean my gromet. each bolt should have a "copper crush washer " is that what you mean?

Change it, looks cooked to me. The big thing is you don't know the hours, start fresh..your almost there.

Bev

THanks i can never manage to do that ii try so hard too ahah

When your in your photobucket account put your curser over the picture you want to post. It will show 4 differnt codes just click the img in black .It will say copied. Then just come to where you want to post the pic and right click the mouse and select paste.

that piston is done!!!change the bearing and pin also. and it is running to hot.the piston sould not be cooked underneth like that.

its a used bike so im making er all sexy for next season.. this season was a disaster... the rear shock was all facked up.. im not even getting into it.. ahaha ... do u think itll feel better with the new top end as in more power and crisp?

heress pics you wanted

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/Ty230/?action=view&current=topend018.jpg

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/Ty230/?action=view&current=topend019.jpg

hmm actually doesn't look to to bad to me , maybe just ring it again .

a forged wiseco is like 118$ in canada with rings . if you buy one a forged wiseco make sure the clearance is .0050 not .0030 like it says on the box it will cold seize when you let off the throttle .

or get a second opinion . only thing i see is on the right side on the intake of the piston there seems to be a few pin holes , might crack . left hand side almost looks like a slight seize , personally i would just chuck it . but im made of money .

a new top end will be sweet , you will be so happy .

exhibit a

n501234748_1066474_875.jpg

ur piston looks decent, it could be re ringed and run again, however, the piston is cheap, you are already gonna have to buy a gasket set, might as well do the whole thing fresh. Its just a good idea. Check the cylinder for a good cross lash, if it s all gone, you might want to spec it and make sure you are within specs. If its good, have a machine shop hone it so your new rings will seat nice and easy and the overhaul will last you a while.

. If its good, have a machine shop hone it so your new rings will seat nice and easy and the overhaul will last you a while.

if your gonna pay some one to give it a good honing , why not just pay them to bore it .5mm over and buy a .5mm over piston just make sure you get the piston first and get them to hone it to the piston .

and if you get a wiseco my god .0050 .

an hour at the machine shop is an hour at the machine shop .

but a better idea is to see if the shop were you buy your piston will just hone it for free , it only takes a minute .

im getting all the parts for a top end for $50 ... done deal... piston, rings gaskets, wrist pin/bearing.... EVERYTHING.

Btw the piston is a stock piston and all stock parts.

I know the fmf sst i had blown out and ran that.. made the bike run really rich.. but its gonna get replaced.... And do u guys think ill feel a good power increase?

Oh yea you will feel a difference! I would take some oven cleaner and clean the power valve too, also take some oven cleaner and scotchbrite and wipe the cylinder down. Where did you find that deal on parts?

My buddy sold his yz and had left over parts. Don't worry ill get er done real nice. My buddy who works at a dirtflinger shop ahaha is helping me