Sign in to follow this  

Bleeding a WP shock

Hi all, I have rebuilt a few of WP shocks, either with bladder conversions or regassed using the WP nitrogen tool, any which way I find that after a few months there is air in the shock. I have read that the correct way of getting air out of WP shocks is to use a purging tool, which I believe is very expensive. Does anyone have any tips on bleeding these types of shock, short of using a bleeding tool. I thought of maybe fitting the bleed hole with a bleed nipple and rigging that to a suspension fluid reservoir and leaving it a few days, whilst regularly pumping the shock up and down. I thought that might encourage all the air bubbles out of the shock? ???? Lee

Hi all, I have rebuilt a few of WP shocks, either with bladder conversions or regassed using the WP nitrogen tool, any which way I find that after a few months there is air in the shock. I have read that the correct way of getting air out of WP shocks is to use a purging tool, which I believe is very expensive. Does anyone have any tips on bleeding these types of shock, short of using a bleeding tool. I thought of maybe fitting the bleed hole with a bleed nipple and rigging that to a suspension fluid reservoir and leaving it a few days, whilst regularly pumping the shock up and down. I thought that might encourage all the air bubbles out of the shock? ???? Lee

Well...you'll find air in any shock after a few months of service.

The action of the rod will always take some fluid out, and bring some air in.

As for bleeding the WP, I use a method similar to what I do with the Showas and KYBs. Build it dry, fill it up via the compression assembly hole, put the cap on and charge it....etc, then do the final bleed and assembly.

There's a few extra steps in there as you have to deal with repositioning the nitrogen piston but I'm sure you get the point.