Sign in to follow this  

brake tapping in air

I am having trouble trying to brake tap in the air when needed. I ride a cr 250 2 stroke and it seems to be a hard bike to learn to jump on, had a 01 yz 250f and began jumping on that and felt more comfortable, but the bike was nothing but trouble motor wise. Anyways just trying to figure out where my foot should be placed going off the jump, and do I pull my leg off the peg and tap the brake along with the clutch, etc. I have only been riding a year.

for me it just came naturally when i needed it...ride more and get more comfortable jumping it, it will

come

for me it just came naturally when i needed it...ride more and get more comfortable jumping it, it will

come

+1 on this.

All i can say is try and keep 1-2 fingers on the clutch at all times, and then if you need to brake tap all you have to do is pull in your clutch and move your right foot slightly forward.

haha its all mental my boy. no different than reaching for your brake before a turn. all mental. make yourself do it.

yeah i guess. I am thinking about how hard I am going to fall when I am almost looped out in the air that I forget about it.lol. Im like frozen when I go off a jump.

haha that's what i figured. u have to fight the ragdoll syndrome where you just fly thru the air like a ragdoll. intentionally looosen up when ur in the air. next time u hit a jump intentionally move around on the bike and think about how comfortable u are. experiment. brake tap. dont worry ur cool on small jumps brake tapping cause the bike doesn't drop too quick. its on the big fast jumps that the front end drops real quick.

Well, im not sure about this because i always hit the front brake in the air to go forward or get on the throttle to go back... wouldnt that be easier then tapping the back brake.....

guys may i ask, because this is all new to me and we never did this all those years ago.

Back brake with clutch in = front wheel down?

Throttle on = front wheel up?

So what about front brake, if used at all?

to the people who front break tap, it does work, but it is generally looked at as bad technique. Ever ride a very long wheelie on 4th gear to the point the front wheel stops spinning, then set it back down? you get the same jerking motion on the landing of the jump. Although it won't always cause you to fall, it generally is only a matter of time until it causes a crash on the landing.

to the OP.

Find a decent size jump, something like a 30 footer that kicks you up a little is good enough to learn on, but that faster your tire is spinning the more effect it will have. Get comfortable jumping what ever you choose to try it on. Jump regular, and just get loose in the air. Once your comfortable, jump normal, or enough to land level, lean forward, just dab your right foot, let the clutch back out. Once you do that, mess around purposely jumping nose high a little, and break tapping, ect.

and the the guy above me, correct, gas in the air to bring the front end up, rear break to bring the rear end up (front end down).

^^^ X2!

Also, ever tapped your front brake with a crosswind? I accidentally did off a valley table at Calgary's national track, the front end went down and to the right and I went to the hospital.... lol

^^^ X2!

Also, ever tapped your front brake with a crosswind? I accidentally did off a valley table at Calgary's national track, the front end went down and to the right and I went to the hospital.... lol

Ouch! :thinking: Man I'm glad you can laugh about it!

Hey guys, All of this is good info but to my experience the brake tap is mostly a correction to improper body positioning upon take off. I dont see that anyone has mentioned this yet???????

I would like to mention also that a simple shove downward on the bars can put the front back to where you want it but this goes back to moving around in the air until you are comfortable to do so.

what about seat bouncing.. this is when i have to brake tap as i'm on the powerfor along time and seat bouncing to clear a step up?

Hey guys, All of this is good info but to my experience the brake tap is mostly a correction to improper body positioning upon take off. I dont see that anyone has mentioned this yet???????

I would like to mention also that a simple shove downward on the bars can put the front back to where you want it but this goes back to moving around in the air until you are comfortable to do so.

Yep, but its also from blurping the throttle too much at take off rather then smoothe control. Its also really an old two stroke trick that on the thumpers, chopping the throttle will get you nose down. I learned the break tap so I wouldnt freeze in situations where I needed it. I found a nice 20' table top that was perfect and just hit over and over break tapping over it. Then I started just pulling the clutch in over every jump which led to break tapping over other obstacles, not cause I needed it, but I wanted it to be second nature in the event that I really needed to hit the rear break. Shoving the bars down is not going to get nose down enough correctly, especially in a panic situation.

Body positioning is a good mention because most of the time that is the reason for coming off the takeoff nose-up, but you gotta remember that a lot of "race-common" situations can cause improper positioning on take off, ie. getting kicked coming out of a rut or coming off the last jump squirrely(?) if it's a double section..... Not too mention that sometimes the changes in body position are subtle errors so until you learn to correct them brake-tapping is a great tool.

Brake tapping has its place, I dont disagree, Just wanted to make sure we are all thinking of the fundametals before we steer someone in a new direction. LOL Man I cant wait to ride, Hope this weekend is warm enough to get out!!!

your brake tapping will become instinct. as csclocogato said it is more desirable to leave the jump perfectly as brake tapping slows you down, but not many people can execute perfect lofts everytime. i use brake taps when my wheelies get a little too far back, this will help instict develop as well. Brake tapping is kinda fun to me when im not racing. i feel ya on ridin csclocogato - ive got an 05 rm 250 waitin on new rings. to make it worse ive got new tires, new uni filter, new stock pipe, and a new Rad Valve just begging to get dialed in. its driving me nuts so im rambling on thumpertalk

dude(jhatfie4) all that new stuff and its to cold and to wet to get it on at the track. I guess you are getting just about as much rain as I am here! Spring time just around the corner!!!!

05 rm 250 waitin on new rings. to make it worse ive got new tires, new uni filter, new stock pipe, and a new Rad Valve just begging to get dialed in. its driving me nuts so im rambling on thumpertalk

Story of my life. It seems like every time I splurge and buy a bunch of new stuff for my bike, something goes wrong and I'm off the bike for a few weeks :thinking: