Sign in to follow this  

how to polish a frame???

I was wondering how you guys polish your frames making them look like chrome i have a 2003 cr 125...? also where could i get a 2003 manual ebay doesn't have any only 2002 and 04 and up its hard to find

depends on how much time you wanna spend on it. you want a half assed job or a well time spent job. if your going to do this please have an electric or air sander because when i did mine it took me ten hours by hand because my damn sander was busted.

tear your bike down to the frame. spray easy off oven cleaner on it and let it bake in the sun for about 45 minutes. id prolly spray second coat on there after 20 minutes to make sure. then rinse.

start out with 220 grit and work your way up. 220-400-800-1000-1500-2000

2000 bein optional...

after your done you want to buff it with wool. use mothers polish for the buff. your prolly gonna need a few buff pads for this. then once your done its going to look like chrome, problem is after your done buffing your going to see some oxidation still in the frame. so at this point you want to go head down to autozone and pick up some blue majic. this is a deoxidizer and will polish the oxidation clean off.

heres end result...

SANY1741.jpg

SANY1743.jpg

SANY1745.jpg

SANY1746.jpg

SANY1737.jpg

or do what i did get a power ball and aluminum polish and a few micro fiber rags and have some time..comes out great but it takes TIME

I have been polishing aluminum for years and have some advice.

220 grt sandpaper is a bit too drastic. I would suggest no more than 360 grt. to be used on the cast parts of the frame. the extruded or smooth parts do not need any more corse than 500 grt.

360 then 500 then 1500 , all wet sanded with soapy water.

now. go down to your hardware store, you need to find a polishing compound called Julers roushe, ( I hope thats what is called and spelled ) they have a few twpes of them for stainless, etc. buy the one for soft metals. also they sell a small cloth polishing wheel than is excellent.

use a high speed dremel, hook the cloth wheel up after the frame is sanded and go to town. it should not take you long at all.

now heres the part that everybody misses. You need to seal the aluminum so that it wont oxidise as quickly. they sell a product called Zoop Seal. It is expensive, but you can use it on wheels etc. treat the poilshed frame and they state it will last 2 years in the same condition.

also remember before treating, clean the frame good with some solvent.

you can get the manual at rockymountainmc.com its like $50 but theres alot of info in it, and torque values and stuff. So i definatly recommend it.

I have been polishing aluminum for years and have some advice.

220 grt sandpaper is a bit too drastic. I would suggest no more than 360 grt. to be used on the cast parts of the frame. the extruded or smooth parts do not need any more corse than 500 grt.

360 then 500 then 1500 , all wet sanded with soapy water.

now. go down to your hardware store, you need to find a polishing compound called Julers roushe, ( I hope thats what is called and spelled ) they have a few twpes of them for stainless, etc. buy the one for soft metals. also they sell a small cloth polishing wheel than is excellent.

use a high speed dremel, hook the cloth wheel up after the frame is sanded and go to town. it should not take you long at all.

now heres the part that everybody misses. You need to seal the aluminum so that it wont oxidise as quickly. they sell a product called Zoop Seal. It is expensive, but you can use it on wheels etc. treat the poilshed frame and they state it will last 2 years in the same condition.

also remember before treating, clean the frame good with some solvent.

ya i kinda forgot to mention you had to wet sand the stuff...