removing transmission bearing

That one transmission bearing! You probably already know which one I'm talking about. The mainshaft bearing on the flywheel side, in the blind hole. Whats the best way to get it out? On my TRX250R I could just hit the other side of the case with a mallet and it would fall out. Not the case here.

My two ideas are, filling the backside with grease and hitting a shaft into the hole, letting hydraulic magic do the work. Im not sure what the clutch actuator seal will think of this though. My other plan is to make a tricky, custom puller, but that seems like too much work.

Any other tricks before I dive into this?

And don't say "go to the dealer" I will NEVER go to a dealer for "help" They need more help than I do. LOL

Heat the case with a hot plate...and if you can, make a cold rod that is the size of the outer race (thanks to that guy who said this about crank bearings)

I have done it with just heat....it needs quit a bit too, but heat the entire case equally...so a hot plate works really well, or oven!

Should allow it to come out with some minor effort.

Autozone rents tools for free. Well...with a credit card deposit anyway.

What I do is go in to AZ and bring the case with me. I then ask them to see their slide hammer to determine if it will work for my purpose. I remove the bearing on the spot and tell them their slide hammer freaking rules! No credit card required.

The first time they thought it was funny. Now they know I'm there for free tool use and find that funny. It works.

I put mine in the oven and the bearings just fall out.

You probably need to get a blind hold bearing puller or find someone that has one. I had to get a bearing out where my push lever complete fits in and I took it to a shop and they had the tool. Two mins worth of work and it was out.

You probably need to get a blind hold bearing puller or find someone that has one. I had to get a bearing out where my push lever complete fits in and I took it to a shop and they had the tool. Two mins worth of work and it was out.

X2 on the blind hole puller.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95987

Harbor Freight has blind bearing puller set. I can't remember what I paid for mine, but as is typical, it was fairly cheap (perhaps $60?) and adequate for the job.

Certainly less than the $200+ Motion -Pro set, but I'm sure the MP is much more robust.

Ooops! I didn't notice the post above actually provided a link to HF.

I ran my case half up to the shop, figured they'd have a blind bearing puller and get it done quicker than I could. All the guy did was heat the case up, then tap the case on the work bench and the bearing fell right out. I felt kinda dumb, because I could have done that at home! Slipped him some beer money and went on my way.

I went the caveman route and made my own slide hammer by welding a large bolt to the offending bearing. Had it out less than a minute later. Prior to that it had been on the hotplate for hours with no luck.