2001 silverado tranny problems

its a 1/2 ton 5.3 auto 4 speed. in 2nd gear it revs free then catches again it doesnt catch hard its like the clutch packs are screwed in that gear or something along those lines.

any ideas besides a new trans?

its a 1/2 ton 5.3 auto 4 speed. in 2nd gear it revs free then catches again it doesnt catch hard its like the clutch packs are screwed in that gear or something along those lines.

when was it's Last tranny fluid/Filter change?

Clutch pack is gone. Time for a trans rebuild. You might get by with a rebuild of just the clutch. Depending on the miles, you might just replace with a good rebuilt, maybe upgraded. Most of the time the small V8's don't come with an external trans cooler. Add one when you replace your trans. Remember your vehicle is a light duty vehicle use. Drive and work you truck accordingly.

is it only on the 2-3 shift, or also on the 3-4 shift? if it's only on the 3-2 I would guess it's probably the intermediate clutch, if it's both I would guess the 2-4 band either way at least an overhaul is in order. that said I belive a 4l60e reman is under 2k still, and comes with a 3yr 100k warranty.

Bryce

its the 1 2 shift and thats it and while its in 2nd it slips sometimes but if i peg it from a dead stop it will shift perfectly from 1st to 2nd and not slip while it second

I'd get it checked out ASAP before it fries anything more....could be an electronics issue that is causing this, and driving it more could cause some internal wear.

My 4L60E overhaul with upgraded guts and new electronics and R&R was $2k.

when was it's Last tranny fluid/Filter change?

X2 on that. The tranny service is the most neglected part of vehicle maint. people over look and is one of the most expensive repairs.

Just took a look at my nieghbors Silverado 1/2 ton and it has a stock trans cooler on there.

i have a 2003 gmc yukon, same engine same problem. its not bad enough that its hard to drive but more irritating than anything. Sometimes if im passing from like 55 it will do the same thing from 3-4. i cant figure it out tho.

My 01 sierra does the same damn thing. IGNORE it. Mines been doing it for 6 years. Its kinda like its trying to find the gear.

EDIT: if you end up doin tranny work, while your at it, a corvette servo and shift kit is the best mods you can do to a 4L60E. Nice quick, firm shifts.

I did a little research the other night and found this. Check it out its kinda helpfulhttp://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods/GM/4L60E/4l60e_transmission_mods.htm

hmmm... the bit about it shifting better at full throttle makes me start to think it might be an issue with the pressure control solenoid in the valve body causing issues. I have heard of a few people adjusting the pc solenoid up a bit to solve this type of issue, the solenoid has a torx screw on the back side of it and most of the guys I have heard it from say give it about 1/8-1/4 turn clockwise. I don't know if your comfortable doing yourself, but you may run into some resistance in getting a shop to do this. but there is actually a thread on the gm service forums about this type of issue and the consensus is that's the fix.

actual post and replies

Hi guys. I've got a 2004 gmc sierra with a 4l60 that under low acceleration the trans seems to slip to 2nd then make a "bump" feeling. shifts to 2nd perfect under harder acceleration and good a full throttle. andy ideas are appreciated. thanks

PC SOLENOID IS BINDING, TWO WAYS TO FIX THIS. REPLACE IT OR REMOVE THE PAN AND TURN THE PC SOLENOID SCREW UP A 1/8 TURN, MYSELF I LIKE TURNING THE PSI UP, SAVES MONEY AND WORKS BETTER...

Had an 05 escalade doing the exact shift problem as your sierra(lazy 1-2 shift at light throttle) Turned the PCS up an 1/8 turn, all was well.

hope that helps

Bryce