Sign in to follow this  

My 1977 YZ400 Startup

I bought a 1977 YZ400 about 8 years ago for $200. I have put roughly $500 into it so far, which includes the rebuild and a new rear tire. Only rode it about 5 times. I'm getting into casual riding again. I took it out during Thanksgiving and the engine sucked in the air filter (yes, the whole thing) and I decided to rebuild it. Took it to the machine shop and found out it was on the original bore! No wonder I could never start it without gas being dumped into the cylinder. I had them bore it once over and give me a new piston. I put it back together and am ready for California City again this new years!

Attached is a sound of it starting up for the first time (on the 3rd kick). Man, that compression is tough. Hehe. Click here to hear it

Make sure you wear a boot when you kick it over..those old bikes kick back!

Post some pictures..

Bev

That sound clip honestly gave me chills.

I would love to have that sound in a new framed bike. AF 500 please!!

Ok, well you asked for it. It looks worse in these pictures. I still need to put on the plastic cover on the side.

bikes.jpg

Nice!!!It looks good to me:thumbsup: :busted:

Did you put that swingarm on? my 77 yz400 still had a steel swingarm. Whats the shape of your pipe? mine like's to crack every ride, it vibrates so bad!

Did you put that swingarm on? my 77 yz400 still had a steel swingarm. Whats the shape of your pipe? mine like's to crack every ride, it vibrates so bad!

I got the bike this way. Due to the swingarm, I thought it was a 78 or 79 for a long time but after I looked up the serial number, I found out the previous owner swapped that on. They also put the acerbis fenders and desert tank on.

The exhaust system is stock, and the muffler is some piece of crap I got about 6 years ago. The bike didn't come with a muffler, so maybe it cracked for the previous owner. I just put the Sparky on a few days ago so I could be legal for California City. I haven't had any cracks.

I actually had a brainstorm the other night. Now that my muffler has a turndown due to the Sparky, I thought I could get some kind of joint to bring the muffler closer to the fender, then the tip of it would be shooting straight back.

Nice, I had a 79 YZ 400 when I was 13 years old, I was a big kid(fat). I would have to push it to a curb or rock to start it. The bike was in good shape too, wish i would have kept it. Are you gonna do a total restore on your bike?

Some dude on here put a YZ 400 motor into a Blaster quad frame. You should check that out!!

Nice, I had a 79 YZ 400 when I was 13 years old, I was a big kid(fat). I would have to push it to a curb or rock to start it. The bike was in good shape too, wish i would have kept it. Are you gonna do a total restore on your bike?

Some dude on here put a YZ 400 motor into a Blaster quad frame. You should check that out!!

Of course I want to fix it up a little, I really can't stand the muffler setup. But other than that, I may just leave it as it is. I can't stand having super nice things because then I get mad at myself if I bust them. As it stands now, if I scratch it, I don't care. :busted:

I would be interested in the yz400 blaster quad! I couldn't find a url for it though.

hey bro is that a 75-77 cb400ss in the pic next to the yami

It's a 1976 Honda CB400F. Fully original except for tires, battery, and a chrome Yoshimura (sp?) exhaust. My Grandpa got 4 of them back in the day. One for himself and his boys. They all crashed, so he put his up. It sat in a garage for 20+ years under a tarp. It had 589 miles on it when pulled it out. Right now it has around 4700 miles on it. I have the original owners manual, registration papers, honda service card, everything... :busted: