Need help finding torque for my 06 CRF450X

I have not been here in a long time bikes have all been good. Until my newest addition. I thought this was going to be something like a 450R with lights and wide-ratio gears. I took it out this weekend with a friend, and his 03 CRF450R. I rode mine and then rode is R. No comparision in the trails, the stock R took the hard whoops like cake, the torque of the R was more to my type of riding. My X beat me up on the whoops trying to hang on drained me fast. His bike I could fly right across the tops of the whoops with minimal strain or forearm pump. What really got me was when we hit a kinda flat pit and I grabbed a handful of throttle in fourth gear and it stood straight up with ease. My X would gently pull harder in the same given situation. My X feels and sounds like it is hitting a race bike rev limiter. No kind of holeshot mid or top end with good throttle response.

I was ready to list my bike for sale today. And try and find a R. But my bike is in pristine condition. I want to try some mods but don't have a clue where to start from stock. I want to do the modes that will get the cheapest fastest results for torque. Today I heard of a guy who switched cams from a R and a slip on and races supercross (TK Manchester Honda) I couldn't reach him by phone. I searched alot of threads here not much on getting torque. Stupid Question is the fuel screw the idle screw? Only other screw on the carb I see is the bowl drain screw. Never had a carb like this. I did a valve adjustment intake were good exhaust needed alittle bigger shims. Spark plug had a very small amount of rust color to the tip of the plug. Very little, other wise pretty good looking. Time are super tight here four days after Christmas, work is slow. I need to find out if this bike can deliver torque for like cost of cam and a slip on. I can't afford much more. Hope everyones Christmas was good. I liked the videos of the X in the snow.

Is the jetting stock, has the airbox been modified? The fuel screw in underneath the carb in a recessed hole, most people switch them out with aftermarket ones for easier adjusting.

Check the FAQ stickies above that talk about jetting and airbox mods. The 450x comes way too lean from the factory and the airbox is too restrictive. You can get more pep out of the X and you can even get it close to the R, but it will never hit quite as hard.

As far as suspension goes...how much do you weigh. There is no substitute for having you suspension dialed in by a shop your riding style and conditions. However, by design the X frame flexes more than the R, but after having my suspension revalved and resprung for my weight I can attach whoops with no problem.

Thankx for the quick response. The bike is all stock stock jetting, stock pipe and no air box mods. You described it well , I'm looking for that hit a R has. Can it be done with a cam: Hotcam 1016-1 stage 1 slip-on and jetting. I can play with the suspension and get it best with better fluid and adjustments. Right now I want to deciede if I want to invest maybe $300 and get the hit like a R or sell it. It looks nice like new.

I'm 200lbs. 5'10" after Christmas snacks fade away.

Thankx for the quick response. The bike is all stock stock jetting, stock pipe and no air box mods. You described it well , I'm looking for that hit a R has. Can it be done with a cam: Hotcam 1016-1 stage 1 slip-on and jetting. I can play with the suspension and get it best with better fluid and adjustments. Right now I want to deciede if I want to invest maybe $300 and get the hit like a R or sell it. It looks nice like new.

I have a 450R now (2008) and had a 450X in 2007.

Don't fall for the "R-ENVY" :moon: The 450X can be made a lot more torquey than the 450R (and I have a heavily modded 450R right now ... I thought I would try and convert a 450R to an X ... see garage).

With a JD jet kit, airbox cut open, go one tooth up on the rear sprocket, and an MRD pipe (one I would recommend .. www.mrd-racing.com ) the 450X RIPS!!! IMO it has more low end torque than my 450R (mid and top the R wins).

The 450X is bottled up waiting to be unleashed ... trust me, I had the same bike and have an R now. I miss the low end torque of the X :busted:

Oh yeah ... the stock 450X cam is great for LOW end torque ... not a real advantage to the cam.

I put a Stage 1 cam in my 450R, and the torque is still not what the X was down low compared to the stock 450X cam.

Thankx for the response supervokes. Did you get into the cam swap? Is your recommendation to get the JD kit and pipe. I already ordered new chain and sprockets. I think I ordered the wrong chain. I ordered a 520 o-ring will it fit??? Does it have to have a T-ring chain. I never even heard of a T-ring. My sprockets I ordered are 13-51.

I'm 200lbs. 5'10" after Christmas snacks fade away.

You need different springs for your weight. I weigh 180 without gear and had to switch my springs out. No matter what you set the clickers at it won't be right.

Thankx for the response supervokes. Did you get into the cam swap? Is your recommendation to get the JD kit and pipe. I already ordered new chain and sprockets. I think I ordered the wrong chain. I ordered a 520 o-ring will it fit??? Does it have to have a T-ring chain. I never even heard of a T-ring. My sprockets I ordered are 13-51.

For your location I would guess 13/51 is good and the o-ring should fit without a spacer, if not you'll have to get one. They are less than $10. I would focus on jetting, airbox mod, and a MRD pipe before you mess with the Cam.

I'm 6' 1" and weigh about 215 (w/out gear), heavier springs were definitely needed for me. Without the right springs you will always be fighting it- trying to find that "sweet spot" between too much/too little rebound, just the right amount of compression, etc.. and with light springs you'll always be riding in the last part of the stroke. Heavier springs makes a WORLD of difference. On rough terrain I have no doubt that I'd be faster on a 250 with good suspension than a 450 with bad suspension. Once you have a bike with really good suspension you'll know what I'm talking about.

With the proper jetting, airbox mods, and uncorking it, the X is much closer to the R. If you're looking for more throttle response I'd throw a Boyesen X-wing in there, too.

Focus on those things before the cam, $700 exhaust, and other bling and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. YOu've got a good bike there.

WHen/if you do get an exhaust though, the MRD is a pretty nice deal.. fully guaranteed and great customer service. An R pipe off an '05 will also work. I just got mine off of craigslist for $50!

What exactly is uncorking?

i have an 06 x with only an aftermarket pipe, and JD Jetting... and it runs awesome!!!. tons of low end torque, and i can make it stand up in every gear, even in deep sand washes :busted: i rode a stock 450R two days ago out in the desert, and the thing had great mid and top end power, but it didn't seem to hook up like mine does. i thought for a while i wanted to get an R, but now, i will definitely be sticking with the X :moon:

This maybe a silly question but with so much airbox cut out what stops the water from reaching the filter... carb... cylinder...valves? I do cross puddles a foot deep.

What exactly is uncorking?

UNCORKING:

- Let more air in (open air box up)

- Let more exhaust out (open pipe end, or add slip-on

- Jet for above

If you do all this, you will be amazed. It will pull almost as hard as an R, it will just do it slower. If you want it to pull as hard, you change the cam, the ignition module, and the head. I personally don't like the R power off-road: it's fun to play with for a while, but it is no fun on a rocky up hill!

If you want super low-end torque:

- longer, tapered headpipe (dr d, MRD, etc)

- longer exhaust can

- flywheel weight

If you want it to skip over the whoops:

- must re-spring and re-valve for your weight!

While the R may seem amazing in a 15min ride, when the X is set up right, it will WALK ALL OVER the R in the desert.

This maybe a silly question but with so much airbox cut out what stops the water from reaching the filter... carb... cylinder...valves? I do cross puddles a foot deep.

Ever look at the R airbox? It's not even a box, it's a airfilter shroud. If you do deep rivers, you might want to have options, otherwise, it's no big deal at all.

In Jersey we have most woods and loom to sand soil. Nothing like the desert or rocky trails. I ride local pits and woods. I am looking for the pull the R has out of the hole as well as the top end. Is the Jardine exhaust any good. I found the full system for like 250 or 230? I'm really not trying to spend 700 for a exhaust only. I can't. The only difference I seen in the heads were the intake valves being 1mm larger, exhaust valves on both were 30mm. What happens if I change the cam, lighten the flywheel, and a slip on and do the jetting and airbox mods? I can get all that for under a nickel. And then play with suspendsion in early spring. Is this airbox mod a good move for puddles???

i didn't do the airbox, and it runs fine.. no bog anywhere... cutting it open will most likely improve throttle response, and power, but i cross streams once in a while, and a little bit more power doesn't seem worth the possibility of water in the motor:banghead: :busted:

I hear that!

For your location I would guess 13/51 is good and the o-ring should fit without a spacer, if not you'll have to get one. They are less than $10. I would focus on jetting, airbox mod, and a MRD pipe before you mess with the Cam.

:busted::moon: Unleash the beast then work on your suspenders:ride: :p It'll run every bit as strong as an R but just won't feel like it. If you want the R 'snap' you'll have to shave a few ounces of flywheel weight....It's the only way it'll ever happen and it would ruin the best traits of the 450X motor IMHO.