SM to S question..

Boys, I have a question. Let's assume I buy someone's SM because I get a good deal, find the right setup or whatever. Is all I have to do buy some wheels and tires and be ready for dirt? I'm not scared of a couple of pounds difference in weight. Hell, I'm 320 pounds and the weight difference between an S and SM would be pretty much like me letting out a fart and besides, if I could take my ZX-10 off roading, I'm sure I can handle this thing.

No, I'm not a good rider but I still took the Z out off roading a bit. NOT in bad territory but still.

What I'm saying is that NOT being that great a rider and not scared of weight, I prolly wouldn't know the difference, ie, NOT be bothered but the bike not necessarily being perfect for dirt...

I haven't put S wheels on my SM, but going by what I've read on this board, the S wheels will bolt directly onto the SM model.

One thing that you'll have to do is put your SM brake rotors onto the S wheels before you install them.

Also, the suspension travel of the SM is about an inch-or-so shorter than the S.

Doubt it'll amount to much, but, I figure it's worth mentioning, anyway.

10.2 inches in front and 10.9 inches of travel in back is enough for general off-road riding.

Hell, I remember when my 1981 XR-250R with 10.0 inches at both ends was super-duper long travel to me.

I'm sure somebody with actual experience in this will chime in, but, that's a start on your information gathering. :busted:

As for weight, I realize that compared to a motocross bike, any model of DR-Z is considered overweight.

However, in my opinion, it's still in the same ballpark as any other dual-purpose bike, not a problem for me to ride anywhere, and compared to some of these street bikes that for some reason are marketed as "adventure bikes", is an absolute flyweight.

I wouldn't hesitate to take it off-road with the correct tires for the job.

Because I'm stupid at this, I want to clarify..

"the S wheel will bolt directly onto the S model."

Did you mean onto the SM model?

Also, I would probably have to have it setup for my fat ass anyway so I'm thinking some kind of suspension adjustment would have to be done anyway..

Yes, I meant S onto an SM.

Cool, just checking. I thought it was obvious but when you're not good at things, to me nothing is obvious and I'd rather ask than not :busted:

The hubs are identical so everything is a direct swap. Its easiest if you have second set of brake rotors because those are bike specific (different diameters) and make it more work to swap. A larger rear sprocket is also nice to lower the gearing some.

Also note your speedo will be off. You would need the speedo drive for a 21 inch front wheel unless that doesnt bother you. Get after the suspension. You will like the results! I run 14/44 to 14/49 on a stock length S model chain. As stated having the extra rotors makes for easy swaps as does having sprockets for each wheel set.

So, is this a recommended route if I can get an SM that's hopped up on power (more hp) and thus, a better deal, especially for my fat ass? (It's actually not my ass that's big, it's the gut...I'm just sayin')

How long to change wheels/rotors and do I need to do anything but simply bolt it on? How hard is it to change chain yourself? Again, never done this myself. I took the CR500R apart when i was younger to have a different spool or whatever gives you the electrical power but that's about it. I did manage to put it back together less a couple of bolts :busted:

just get 2 bikes than you will be happy

It should only take 20 minutes or so to do the swap. You won't need anything else. If you keep the gearing within a couple teeth of stock you won't need to mess with the chain.

just get 2 bikes than you will be happy

..and while I'm at it, should I get two women? One that likes sex and one that likes to clean and cook?

So, is this a recommended route if I can get an SM that's hopped up on power (more hp) and thus, a better deal, especially for my fat ass? (It's actually not my ass that's big, it's the gut...I'm just sayin')

..and while I'm at it, should I get two women? One that likes sex and one that likes to clean and cook?

Now you're talking! :busted:

I think so.

I just suck at the bike stuff, I've practiced enough on the other..

I'll see if I can get a few more to chime in and then I might hop on an SM deal, we'll see. I would love to have that extra power. The way I see it, you can never have enough :busted:

if you suck at riding bikes than more power will jest kill you faster

Well, isn't that what the throttle is for...I'm just sayin'

Seriously, I rather have it than want it..

nope most bikes are made fr 2 throttle positions

closed and wide open

See now you're just tryin' to rub it in that I'm a *ussy

dude it is your life and your money

please live and spend it in aney way you would like

with todays tecknolage you can have all the power you would like

just look at what they are doing to the deazel truck pushing over 1,200 HP and doing 8send 1/4miles runs in a 3 ton truck

it all comes down to money

hell I hae have 1995 satrun SC2 making 300HP with a 1.9L 4cylender

Eddie has figered out the hard part and was nice enef to post 90% over the net for free

and I was going to take advantage of it if I could :busted: