Sign in to follow this  

Ride Kentucky?

I am looking to see if I can fill my 7 passenger van and head down to KY. sometime in the next month. I already have 3 including myself. Anyone interested in going? We would roll out of Fenton (just south of Flint) at approx. 6:00 p.m. on a given Friday night. Its about 7.5 hrs drive time or 480 miles. I have a location picked out. Its called Redbird Crest Trail in Big Creek KY. Ride Saturday (its a 70 mile loop with gas halfway) and possibly ride a bit on Sunday. I would hate to drive all that way and not ride Sunday but...

We would be home late Sunday night. Also I have a 14' open trailer that I think we could get 7 bikes on but if not I also have an 18' I know we can get em on so the getting them there is covered. I figured worst case my van will get about 10 mpg, at 480 miles at $2 a gallon x 2 / 7 = about $29 per person for gas round trip. Then theres the hotel\motel and food. I figure $200.00 at the most for a fun filled weekend.:busted:

I am looking to see if I can fill my 7 passenger van and head down to KY. sometime in the next month. I already have 3 including myself. Anyone interested in going? We would roll out of Fenton (just south of Flint) at approx. 6:00 p.m. on a given Friday night. Its about 7.5 hrs drive time or 480 miles. I have a location picked out. Its called Redbird Crest Trail in Big Creek KY. Ride Saturday (its a 70 mile loop with gas halfway) and possibly ride a bit on Sunday. I would hate to drive all that way and not ride Sunday but...

We would be home late Sunday night. Also I have a 14' open trailer that I think we could get 7 bikes on but if not I also have an 18' I know we can get em on so the getting them there is covered. I figured worst case my van will get about 10 mpg, at 480 miles at $2 a gallon x 2 / 7 = about $29 per person for gas round trip. Then theres the hotel\motel and food. I figure $200.00 at the most for a fun filled weekend.:busted:

the redbird crest is a great trail,but last time i tried i was absolutley unable to get around the backside,(not recently),it was too overgrown, best of luck,BTW if you dont already know, at the gas stop they also serve a decent lunch--pizza n such, this is a great area to ride, we usually set up camp right at the trailhead and nobody seems to mind. i like to stop at London Auto Truck for dinner (24 hrs i think) turn right off 75 at the 41 (this is your exit) then its about 30-45 minutes to the trailhead,not much grub after that (if its late) theres also a campground with a connector trail to the main trail but i've never been there, i've rode this trail 5-6 times.BTW they hold Cock fights right down the street from the ranger station,you will pass the barn, i'm pretty sure its illegal,but there pretty much right out in the open,i find this kinda strange.

Thanks for the info Chris. What are the trails like? Are they 2trk roads or are they single track bark busters?

Thanks for the info Chris. What are the trails like? Are they 2trk roads or are they single track bark busters?

on the front side the trails are generally fun and do offer some challenge (rocky hills) the rain can do some decent washout damage so it can get worse, if you havent rode in the mountains of kentucky your in for a treat i think this is a great trail for most riders and no one will get bored,the front side is quadtard friendly. the backside gets a little harrier and there should be some singletrack here,one section is innpassible by anything other than a bike,(i was told this goes over a cliff) generally the backside trails get sketchy and hard to follow.

BTW, we consider the frontside from the ranger station to the gas station on the main trail, the backside starts beyond the gas station and runs back to the ranger station(the trail comes out down the road a bit from the trailhead/ranger station) you need to know where to look to find it.

if the waters up (theres a ford) you will have to backtrack to the barn (cockfights) turn right, then turn right again on the first road. this will get you to the trailhead.

dont worry if its wet,the trail will still be very passible,the soil is generally sandy/shale/rocky with just a little mud here and there, (we put 80 miles on in a absolute monsoon)

this trail would be dangerous in the snow on two wheels.

to find the lunchstop-gas store,, just ride the main trail around 35 miles i think till you get back to the main road (66 i think) turn right go down a few miles cant miss. it.

...BTW they hold Cock fights right down the street from the ranger station,you will pass the barn, i'm pretty sure its illegal,but there pretty much right out in the open,i find this kinda strange.

If you go throw a shoe at senators Bunning and McConnell for all there support of Michigan and Ohio! (they'll be there)

If you go throw a shoe at senators Bunning and McConnell for all there support of Michigan and Ohio! (they'll be there)

Okay, that was funny!:busted: