No Wimps trail first week in Jan - any thoughts from those that have lived it?

Well after years of riding Baja and always rushing to the Tip with not enough time to see all Baja has to offer I have made some time for the fabled No Wimps Trail.

I am going with a DA brother who has ridden her and he expects a big day. I spoke with my other buddy of much knowledge BBM and got some insight from a top pro and though maybe some of you had photos or info to hold me over until I get there or that can help.

Seems that not many have tackled this trail, from below San Francisquito (really from El Barril) along the Sea of Cortez to just below San Ignacio for those wondering.

Seems most I talk to did it a few years ago pre hurricane so any info or pics old or new would be cool to see.

We are also going to explore the beach of Malarrimo and the point out near Bahia Tortugas. I have never turned on to this part of the Peninsula either so any more thought here would be cool.

Have a nice day.

PAB

i have been curious about this route, would you go through santa barbara or more east?

i have been curious about this route, would you go through santa barbara or more east?

We will not ride through there. There has been a thread here recently that has people talking about re-establishing the trail, that is a walking trail, from Santa Barbara to Santa Gertrudis Mission. I have been to the mission but didn't look at the trail going east.

We are going to run the Sea of Cortez from Los Corrales to the area where the Aaroyo San Carlos hits the Sea and then ride into the road that ends at Santa Marta.

Ricardo at Rice and Beans has been trying to get me to do it for 3 or 4 years so now it is on.

Speak up people

Me and a buddy had this one planned on our last trip down at the end of

April but do to it being in the 100's and our desire for some R&R in San Ignacio kayaking and such we skipped it. Next time...

From what I've heard bring lots of gas and water as you may get lost a few times along the way.:busted:

we skipped it. Next time..
Unfortunately that's a common occurance, skipping it for some reason. RR, you're the 3rd group I've talked to about it that's skipped it since the '06 floods.

BTW RR, did you stay at San Fran? If so how were they stocked (meals, gas, spiffed-up the place)?

Unfortunately that's a common occurance, skipping it for some reason. RR, you're the 3rd group I've talked to about it that's skipped it since the '06 floods.

BTW RR, did you stay at San Fran? If so how were they stocked (meals, gas, spiffed-up the place)?

We got to San Fran late because we left a little late from Gonzaga Bay and had a long lunch/dinner in BofLA. The showers were nothing to write home about but better than nothing. Breakfast was fantastic. Didn't check for gas as we had a bunch in the chase truck. We did give Juan five or so luers that you recomended:thumbsup:

This was late April and I heard it was supposed to sell in June so I am really curious if it is business as usual there.

Down the beach in front of one of the houses is that whale bone chair that used to be located farther north.

We are riding that same route in mid Feb. Please keep us all posted!

I was at Pancho's home and he told me about the guy that came about the chair and ended up its new owner. The chair and the guy own a place south from the place that used to be Genarros. I met him twice while in the area over the last couple years.

We always stop and hang out with Pancho, we bring clothes, all the LOST stuff you see him kicking in we have been dropping off on our Rip to the Tip ride we do every May. We also drop Cigs and Tequila and some other goodies. One time we had a bike break and we put it in the Bronco that is at Pancho's and he helped take it to meet the chase truck at El Arco.

Missed Pancho last year but this year I will see him at least three times.

I just received an epic ride report with pictures from my nomad buddy Jesse Beck. His family owns a place in San Juanico and he did the No Wimps a couple years back and said "no problem". He is a psycho by the way.

Jesse, Bruce from VP, my buddy Laubscher I ride to Cabo with each year and myself will be battling the No Wimps in about 10 days so we'll see how it goes. I have an extra day padding in the planning so we can take extra time if we need to. We put our Pro Moto Bilit Racks racks on that I use on the Cabo trips and was thinking about a shovel and a chain saw!

Guess we'll find out what kind of skill we have...if any.

PAB

from what i saw it looks like alot of bone jarring river boulders. a tent is mandatory?

intel on San Fran, courtesy of gaspipe on ADV... (as of 12/21/2008)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8647429&postcount=63

and...

The map and all the old pics on the wall are gone, and the coolers are gone too. When the joint was sold about six months ago, most all of the old memorabilia went with the old owners (Genero's family ??). The coolers were replaced with a huge fridge. When we started hammering through the beers, they put three or four cases in it to stock it back up.

Not sure what's in the future for the place, but I hope they don't build it up too much. Spartan digs are good.

and...

We stayed in San Francisquito and I talked with Howard (renting the second house to the south for the last 30 years) who had just signed a new lease with the new owner. He said that the new owner seemed like a really nice guy, and was told that the plan was to keep it the same. He said that they will start doing some general maintainance, painting, roof repair,but build nothing new. They also talked about some solar panels for electricity.

I was at Pancho's home and he told me about the guy that came about the chair and ended up its new owner. The chair and the guy own a place south from the place that used to be Genarros. I met him twice while in the area over the last couple years.

We always stop and hang out with Pancho, we bring clothes, all the LOST stuff you see him kicking in we have been dropping off on our Rip to the Tip ride we do every May. We also drop Cigs and Tequila and some other goodies. One time we had a bike break and we put it in the Bronco that is at Pancho's and he helped take it to meet the chase truck at El Arco.

Missed Pancho last year but this year I will see him at least three times.

I just received an epic ride report with pictures from my nomad buddy Jesse Beck. His family owns a place in San Juanico and he did the No Wimps a couple years back and said "no problem". He is a psycho by the way.

Jesse, Bruce from VP, my buddy Laubscher I ride to Cabo with each year and myself will be battling the No Wimps in about 10 days so we'll see how it goes. I have an extra day padding in the planning so we can take extra time if we need to. We put our Pro Moto Bilit Racks racks on that I use on the Cabo trips and was thinking about a shovel and a chain saw!

Guess we'll find out what kind of skill we have...if any.

PAB

Please take some pics I want to see what I missed.:busted:

I've heard about this ride for years. An after-action report is a must.

Anxiously awaiting...

Ben

I've heard about this ride for years. An after-action report is a must.

Anxiously awaiting...

Ben

Well I have been flapping about wanting to do this trail for a while so I am glad we are finally doing it! Looks like 6 of us right now, a solid group of mules.

After the talk of battling the NW trail with my buddy Jesse, who has done it, two more NW vets have joined the trip. I have an 06 ride report but don't know how to post a word doc....

We will have a couple digi cams and a hand held I think to bring home the proof.

Sounds fantastic! Now that I'm retiring, I too will let out feelers about chasing for trips like these until I buy another bike in a year or two.

Not worrying about vacation time or getting back to work on time, exploring Baja slowly sounds like great fun. Have fun!

Cant wait. Me and a few buddies which im sure will turn out to be one other one are going down the first week of March. Last year we did the haul ass from point A to point B. This year its all about exploring!

Cant wait. Me and a few buddies which im sure will turn out to be one other one are going down the first week of March. Last year we did the haul ass from point A to point B. This year its all about exploring!
This is the way I have done most of my trips, my next one is done this way.:smirk: :smirk: :thinking:

I got stuck out there for two day in Feb 2007. I spent one night at Punta Trinadad. Then the next night at Los Corrales. After setting out on foot along the beach without drinking water for 24 hours some fisherman rescued me. It was not passable in 2007 after the hurricane.

baja4.jpg

Just back in the last 30 minutes....amazing ride...5 riders for 5 days, 1030 miles including No Wimps and much other 1 track and some new trails we made up as we went!

I need to get my act together but will post tonight some stories and then the photos will be sorted by one of my riding buddies that is a pro shooter so we have the evidence!

Jesse is a wandering Mad Dog!

More to come.....how much detail to include?

PAB

PAB

GPS tracks... :thumbsup:

PAB

as much as possible, please.:thumbsup: