cummins ram advice

Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a new pickup and have settled on the Dodge Ram with the Cummins. I have been looking at 06 and newer models (mega cab an quad cab), both 2500 and 3500. My question revolves around the differences between the pre 2007.5 models with the 5.9 and the newer models with the 6.7. My understanding is that mileage went to %^%^& with the 6.7 and the DPF filter, so I had been looking at the 5.9 models. So in a roundabout way, I have the following questions-

Is the 6.7 actually ok?

Is the 6-spd auto that comes with the 6.7 better than the 4-spd auto of the 5.9?

What is the average fuel economy of each engine?

Any reliability issues with either (and/or their respective auto trans)?

Any othr issues with this era of Ram?

Would I be ok buying one with 50k miles to keep cost down, or should I spend more to get one with around 20 k or less?

Anything else of note?

Thanks in advance for your help!:busted:

The 6.7 is a joke compared to the 5.9 has alot of emissions stuff on it. Im not sure but i think the 5.9 stock still has more power then the 6.7 stock as well i maybe wrong tho. I know the 6.7 is having alot of issues with the emission stuff that is on it throwing codes and what not. The 5.9 is a GREAT motor lots of performance stuff as well if your going to get a common rail 03-present then they are great as far as mpg i think they average 18.

The older models 95-02 are great as well they are a little louder. Since they have a different injection system, but still as stout. I just bought an 01 that has 136K at the moment it just got 23.5 mpg on the highway, its a 4 speed auto. One thing you do have to worry about with an older model is the vp44 (injection pump). These trucks have a weak fuel pump and when you stomp it usually your fuel pressure goes to 0. That will in turn fry your injection pump which is very expensive ($1500). This can be avoided if you get an airdog 150 or fass 150 fuel pump they will keep your fuel psi up to 15 psi usually. Imo i would go with a common rail since their tranny is a little stouter they both are crap if your going to tow ALOT of weight and i mean ALOT. They also crap out if you start stacking chips and programmers. I would get an 06 or 07 not 07.5 these have the 6.7. The cummins should last ya well over 300K my buddys have 98s that are pushing 500hp and are well over 265K. Me personally i like the older body style but its your preference! Good Luck!

The 6.7 has more power and is more quiet, but it is more troublesome than the 5.9L because of all the emission crap.

The new 6-speed auto is nicer than the 4-speed.

If you're going to be doing a lot of heavy hauling, I'd get a 5.9L with a 6-speed stick.

I have an '07, 5.9L A/T, quad cab, long bed with 25k miles on it with no drivetrain issues. The mileage is nothing great. The worst I've gotten towing (weighing 13k lbs total truck/trailer) is 10mpg averaging around 65mph, the best 14mpg @ 55mph. That is hand calculated, through somewhat hilly terrain.

Empty, the overhead computer (lie-o-meter) says I average 21mpg @ 60mph. Around town, it tells me 14-15mpg. I've never hand calculated those figures so I can't back them up.

Other issues? The truck itself is kind of a rattle trap. You can tell Dodge cuts corners on the interior. My truck has an abundance of squeaks & rattles (door locks, door panels, rear sliding window, etc), and I've had the driver side seat base foam replaced due to a crummy seat design. The plastic material used is cheap and scuffs very easily.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the truck. I really don't know what else I would have bought. Back then the GMT 900 Chevy just came out (too spendy), I didn't like the Chevy Classic, and the Ford (best truck chassis, body & interior IMO) had serious issues with the 6.0L diesel. So Dodge it was.

The 6.7L hasn't really been out long enough to earn the title "tested and tried" like the 5.9L has.

It's still a "new" motor, and there will be bugs, kinks and other stuff to work out. One thing they'll never be able to beat is the dead-solid reliability of the Cummins 5.9L.....those motors don't die. I know of several industrial machines that have motors donated from Dodge trucks when the chassis gave up, but the motor wouldn't.

I wouldn't bat an eye buying a Ram with 100K on a 5.9L, but only after a thourough inspection of the rest of the truck to ensure it was in sound mechanical condition.

You're correct that MPG took a giant nosedive on the DPF equipped motors.

I love my 06, 5.9, 6spd manual,4.11 gears, 4x4, quad cab. (44K miles), not chipped. Modifications include MBRP exhaust from turbo back, and AFE Stage 2 intake(I'm one of the people that love that 'diesel' sound)

The 5.9's are great engines, very few problems. If you get one of these then getting one with 60-100 k is no problem at all. I know very little about the newer engines though, so I can not comment on them.

My mileage varies from 16-22mpg, all hand calculated. It really all depends on how I drive it.

Rolling along at 80-85mph with a 3000lb trailer the mileage drops to about 15.

But empty at 60, I get a solid 22mpg.

I can tell you that my 03 auto, got better mileage, and it had 4.11 gears also.

If mileage is your main concern, look for one with 3.73's.

Thanks for all the advice! It sounds like I am on the right track with the 5.9. With respect to the rest of the truck, it sounds like the trans (auto) might be the weak link. Is there a way to test the trans prior to purchase (i.e. some form of "health eval" for the trans)? Obviously I can road-test it and also pull the dipstick and smell for burnt fluid, but the dealer could have also changed the fluid and thus it would be clean. I would love to avoid buying a truck and having the trans go kerplooey...

Along those lines, is Dodge's 100k powertrain warranty transferable?

Also, sounds like quite a few folks have the 6spd stick. How is it for regular driving? It seems like I would get tired of shifting, but then again my truck doesn't get driven every day (I have a take-home car for work). The most I will likely tow will be a 7x14 Wells Cargo or similar with 2-3 bikes, tools, gear, etc. I don't have any plans for a toy hauler or similar.

I have an 05 with the 4 spd auto. I did road test and 07 with the 6.7 and 6 spd auto. I liked how tou can lock the tourqe converter in any gear,(it helps keep the tranny fluid cool). I hated the motor though, to quiet and less get up and go then my 5.9 with my box turned off. If I could put the 6 speed to my 5.9, it would be PERFECT set up.

I get 18 mpg, but the 6.7 I have heard guys are having a hard time getting 14 mpg. The older 5.9's can get 22-26mpg.

I do have a quadzilla box on mine. It down rips and smokes a lot too.:busted:

Stick with the 5.9 and you will have a great truck.

ch.jpg

I purchased an 04 2500 Laramie with 55k miles on it about 2 months ago, I haul a 6x12 enclosed trailer with normally 3-4 bikes, gear and tools and I tell you what I'm happier than a pig in slop, wish I would have bought one of these years ago. I have the auto tranny and was told by many of my friends to get the stick but I didn't want to shift gears and sit in traffic with it (it is my daily driver also). But I have been hauling the crap out of my trailer and stuff and it has performed way beyond my expectations. Good luck.

There a lots of forums like TT for the Cummins/Dodge trucks. You can get a lot of feedback from them.

I've got a 2007 MegaCab with the 6.7L engine and 6-speed auto. I've never owned a 5.9, but I've ridden them. I love how quiet the motor is, and definately love the 6-speed tranny. The thing runs just below 2,000 rpms at 70 mph. Also love the extra room of the MegaCab, but hate parking it. Lucky for me, it actually fits in my garage with a few inches to spare front and rear.

Of course, my truck has been at the dealer for repairs more than I'd like. I've gotten just about everything for the emissions repaired or replaced, including the turbo. The only thing they haven't touched is the DPF.

The latest craze is to unplug the EGR wire. Ever since I've done this, my truck seems to run very good, with great mpg numbers. Went from average around town of 16 mpg to 19-20. Haven't had a chance to do any extended freeway time, but imagine I could see mpgs in the low 20's now when empty.

Some guys are going the extra mile and actually removing the EGR and DPF with kits that are available aftermarket. They say that once you do the deletes the trucks run as good or better than the 5.9's did.

Sometimes I wish I had just gone with the 5.9 like I originally set out to do when I went shopping. But, in the long run, the 6.7 is still a great truck.

ben

kerplooey...

Along those lines, is Dodge's 100k powertrain warranty transferable?

My truck didn't come with a 100k powertrain warranty.

It came with a 100k warranty from Cummins for just the motor, and a 36k/36 month bumper-to-bumper on the rest of the truck.

The 6.7 is a joke compared to the 5.9 has alot of emissions stuff on it. Im not sure but i think the 5.9 stock still has more power then the 6.7 stock as well i maybe wrong tho. I know the 6.7 is having alot of issues with the emission stuff that is on it throwing codes and what not. The 5.9 is a GREAT motor lots of performance stuff as well if your going to get a common rail 03-present then they are great as far as mpg i think they average 18.

QUOTE]

This is what you're typically going to hear from someone with no 6.7 experience. I have 20k on an 08 6.7 with the 6 speed auto. I have had 2 CEL's...both for thermostat rationality with less than 3k on the truck...both when I had my 8'2" Boss V plow on and the ambient temp was 50+. There was a flash available and it corrected that issue.

Yes, mileage is not what a 5.9 might get, although the cat equipped 5.9's don't do what the pre-cat equipped 5/9's get. I get 17-18 empty on the interstate...13-14 around town...10.5-12 pulling my 9,000+lb. Work and Play on the interstate at 65+ mph...all hand calc'd, not from the overhead. As Chickenhaler says, thank the DPF for this.

The 6.7 puts out something like 25 hp and 40 lb/ft over the 5.9. On trips home from the Ohio GNCC races, we make a long uphill pull out of W.Va. One of my buddies, pulling a similar weight trailer with a chipped 5.9 could only get to my door on both trips...couldn't pass me. So much for the power issue.

The 6 speed auto trans works super well in conjunction with the factory engine brake. Those 2 together are enough to make me overlook the mileage issues. That and the fact that I came from a 8.0L V10, which got 10 mpg.

As mentioned, there are a number of good Dodge truck forums out there. Just remember, those who have problem vehicles are the ones who post. That also goes for what you see on the Ford and Duramax forums. Guys like me, who are happy with their ride, rarely post with anything other than questions.

As for the 2500 or 3500 issue, both trucks will be the same with the 3500 getting the factory rear overlaod springs. My old 2500 had those and I missed them. The new 2500 would not handle loads like the old gen 2 2500 did. Timbrem air springs front and rear took care of that.

Happy truck hunting!

There a lots of forums like TT for the Cummins/Dodge trucks. You can get a lot of feedback from them.

I've got a 2007 MegaCab with the 6.7L engine and 6-speed auto. I've never owned a 5.9, but I've ridden them. I love how quiet the motor is, and definately love the 6-speed tranny. The thing runs just below 2,000 rpms at 70 mph. Also love the extra room of the MegaCab, but hate parking it. Lucky for me, it actually fits in my garage with a few inches to spare front and rear.

Of course, my truck has been at the dealer for repairs more than I'd like. I've gotten just about everything for the emissions repaired or replaced, including the turbo. The only thing they haven't touched is the DPF.

The latest craze is to unplug the EGR wire. Ever since I've done this, my truck seems to run very good, with great mpg numbers. Went from average around town of 16 mpg to 19-20. Haven't had a chance to do any extended freeway time, but imagine I could see mpgs in the low 20's now when empty.

Some guys are going the extra mile and actually removing the EGR and DPF with kits that are available aftermarket. They say that once you do the deletes the trucks run as good or better than the 5.9's did.

Sometimes I wish I had just gone with the 5.9 like I originally set out to do when I went shopping. But, in the long run, the 6.7 is still a great truck.

ben

How are you handling the CEL's that are being thrown as a result of the EGR being unhooked?

I have a 05 5.9 bone stock with exception of a leveling kit. Absolutely love the truck. I have about 70,000 on it and only problem I have had was the trans at about 55,000 went bad but only cost me $100 with the extended warranty.

I tow a 10,000 lb. 5th wheel up some pretty good grades just about every time we take it out (aprox. once a month) and I can hit any of them at about 50 mph with no problem.

With trailer in tow about 10 mpg and empty about 18 mpg on the highway.

Like I said I LOVE MY TRUCK!!

I know a guy with an old '93 5.9 diesel, and so far, he has put in one injection pump, and one set of injectors in the engine.

Also, he has put in his 3rd auto tranny, and somewhere around his 15th set of front brake pads. He does tow fairly heavy loads, but they are almost all highway miles. His is a '93 3500.

Oh, and he has somewhere between 750,000 and 800,000 miles on it.

Don't know anything about the 6.7, but his luck with the 5.9 was the main reason for my getting a 5.9. 80,000 miles of towing up to 15,000#, mostly on gravel roads & short runs, and the biggest repair was the fuel guage sending unit. If you tow much, change the tranny oil every 2-3 engine oil changes, and set the bands (on the older trannys) every 35-30,000 miles.

QUOTE]

This is what you're typically going to hear from someone with no 6.7 experience. I have 20k on an 08 6.7 with the 6 speed auto. I have had 2 CEL's...both for thermostat rationality with less than 3k on the truck...both when I had my 8'2" Boss V plow on and the ambient temp was 50+. There was a flash available and it corrected that issue.

Yes, mileage is not what a 5.9 might get, although the cat equipped 5.9's don't do what the pre-cat equipped 5/9's get. I get 17-18 empty on the interstate...13-14 around town...10.5-12 pulling my 9,000+lb. Work and Play on the interstate at 65+ mph...all hand calc'd, not from the overhead. As Chickenhaler says, thank the DPF for this.

The 6.7 puts out something like 25 hp and 40 lb/ft over the 5.9. On trips home from the Ohio GNCC races, we make a long uphill pull out of W.Va. One of my buddies, pulling a similar weight trailer with a chipped 5.9 could only get to my door on both trips...couldn't pass me. So much for the power issue.

The 6 speed auto trans works super well in conjunction with the factory engine brake. Those 2 together are enough to make me overlook the mileage issues. That and the fact that I came from a 8.0L V10, which got 10 mpg.

As mentioned, there are a number of good Dodge truck forums out there. Just remember, those who have problem vehicles are the ones who post. That also goes for what you see on the Ford and Duramax forums. Guys like me, who are happy with their ride, rarely post with anything other than questions.

As for the 2500 or 3500 issue, both trucks will be the same with the 3500 getting the factory rear overlaod springs. My old 2500 had those and I missed them. The new 2500 would not handle loads like the old gen 2 2500 did. Timbrem air springs front and rear took care of that.

Happy truck hunting!

I was just filling the guy the guy in about the 6.7s, they are not tried and true like a 5.9. 25 more hp then a 5.9 can you even tell that much hp? Thats not much more but thanks for correcting me (i was not sure). There is alot of posts on the cumminsforum.com about peoples 6.7s throwing codes. I would stay away from one until they figure out the bugs.

I have an early year 07' with the last 5.9 cummins in it. It's great, it pulls super hard and will slip BFG all terrain just accelerating from a stop. The 4 spd 48re auto isn't bad and will certainly pull, but if you are thinking about serious loads 15,000 + than I would get the 6 spd manual transmission, G56 I believe. It turns well, rides well, I like the interior. The engine is super reliable, nothing in 40,000 miles, I heard of some 5.9s getting over 1,000,000 miles. I get 14 city, 19 highway.

Here are some date lines:

89 first ram cummins, 5.9L 12 valve turbo diesel

91.5 added air to air intercooler

94 body style change, changed to p7100 injection pump

98.5 change to 24 valves, electronic injection pump vp44

03 body style change and common rail architecture with CP3 injection pump, 48re tranny

04.5 added catalytic converter(no negative impact), 325 hp, 610 tq

07.5 switched to 6.7L cummins, has DPF(screw with turbo a lot, too much heat and carbon upstream, needs extra fuel to burn out) 68re tranny

Notes:

p7100 injection pump is sweet! lots of tunability reliability

vp44 IP not as reliable, lift pump crucial to life

CP3 IP is good, lots of potential

Engine climbs from 185hp/440tq through the years to 325hp/610tq in 04.5.

07.5 6.7L is rated at 350hp/650tq but I believe that was without the emissions equipment. Everyone says the common rail 5.9 tows stronger.

I recently turned my leased 05 5.9 Cummins back to the dealer. I should have just purchased it, it was the best truck I have ever owned. My only complaint was the 4-speed tranny. If I was to purchase a new 6.7 I would definitely cut all the filters and emissions crap off of it. I think the 6-speed transmission would be a winner.