Sign in to follow this  

HELP. Dropped Neutral Switch spring in engine

Yes...I feel like a total idiot.:busted:

I have a 2004 YZ250F. I was putting the engine back in the frame after having it out for a while. When I was putting the neutral switch on, I stupidly put the small brass switch spring in the wrong hole and of course it fell in the case. I tried fishing it out with no luck.

I have a few questions:

1. Will the spring be able to drop into the rest of the case or is it a closed cavity?

2. How bad will it be if I left the spring in there? I really don't want to split the cases for a stupid brass spring. If it does get into the tranny, will the tranny just destroy it b/c it is brass, or will this case major damage?

3. What purpose does a neutral switch have on a YZ250F?

Thanks for all your help.

Joe

• Like 1

according to http://www.thumperfaq.com/blue_wire.htm when in neutral the cdi sets the limiter at 7500 and retards the ignition somewhat. note though it states that the idle may fluctuate due to the advanced ignition timing when permanently in "in gear" mode

hope that helps. ill have a look at my engine a bit later for ya as its in pieces at the moment

It will drop in :busted: I assume you put it in the centre hole !!

DSCN2185.jpg

You should be able to fish it out from the other side But you will have to pull it down a bit and remove the oil pump to get access.

Use a small diameter welding rod. Bend it slightly at one end, and poke it down the hole and fish it out.... if its down the center hole. If it went into the lower case, bottom end, easiest way is to remove the flywheel, and with motor removed from the frame, turn the motor on its side and try to shake it out. I was actually able to do that with a stator bolt I dropped into my case. Do not leave it in there as it will get chewed up and pass into the oil system and take out the head, cams, pumps, and timing chain.

if the spring is made of steel -hows about a small magnet---maybe some type of fluid to flush it --hey maybe to the magneto----saw this work on a 400...put that magnet thru cases under clutch basket shaft...good luck

if the spring is made of steel -hows about a small magnet---maybe some type of fluid to flush it --hey maybe to the magneto----saw this work on a 400...put that magnet thru cases under clutch basket shaft...good luck

Its made of steel that was my thought. I agree with everyone here under no circumstances leave it in. One other point Retz did you have the shift mechanism apart ? If so did you mix up the springs? The one in the shift area are slighly smaller. I was very worried about the switch spring when I put my motor back together recently it goes a long way down the hole.

MM

Sorry Bro! That thing is hollow with large openings in it. My dad calls it a shifting drum. The spring would probably fall right on the sump screen and you might be able to access it from the clutch side, but you have to take the clutchout. I will take a picture of the one I have if it might help. Good luck!

Hey Guys. Thanks for all the help. I retrieved the spring and returned it to its proper spot.

I opened the crankcase cover and luckily there it was at the bottom of the case. I used my "Operation" skillz from the childhood game and retrieved it with some long tweezers.

Thanks again for all the help and pics. You guys rock.

Awesome Retz well done. I was very worried when I put mine in as it goes so far in the hole.

Marty