Colorado offroad exhaust question

Next summer I plan to take a trail riding trip w/ a small tour operation that my friends have started. I think we're gunna be in the Aspen area. They might know this answer, but I thought I'd ask here also. I just bought a 08 YZ250F that I plan to use. My question is what do I have to do to make the exhaust legal? Do I have to go all out and get a new muffler, or will one of the available spark arrestor inserts for my stock muffler work?

Thanks for any help!!

If money isn't an option go with a new can. I run an FMF Q4

How do you like the Q4 power wise? Did you notice a big differance from stock?

I put a FMF Q4 on my WR450 recently. It seemed from the seat of the pants feel, that it gave mine more top end power. :busted: Quiet too, but still sounds cool.

To answer the OP's question though, it's got to have a spark arrestor. I've heard "they" will be requiring less noisey exhausts soon on the trails.

Your bike is required a USFS approved spark arrestor. To truely be legal, it has to be stamped on the muffler. A PMB endcap will also work as they are stamped. I have found that the rangers will let you get by if you dis-assemple your muffler and insert a spark arrestor screen (even though the can is still not stamped USFS approved). It is doubtful that you will even be checked but I would still have a spark arrestor. Being convicted of starting a forest fire would be a life changing event!

CoKTM

You absolutely need a spark arrestor. I run the Q2 can on one of my bikes and give it a :busted:

The latest info I have is that the 96 DB is becoming law as of Jan 1 so to be in compliance you will need a system that meets that in addition to the spark arrestor capability. I'm not sure this is totally correct as I have not actually seen the hard copy of the act.

The latest info I have is that the 96 DB is becoming law as of Jan 1 so to be in compliance you will need a system that meets that in addition to the spark arrestor capability. I'm not sure this is totally correct as I have not actually seen the hard copy of the act.

DOG Your screwd!:busted:

DOG Your screwd!:busted:

Haa I'm gonna talk to you about tomorrow mister, loudly.

Rich...I noticed it most from mid to top end. It is quieter and sounds better.