Sign in to follow this  

aftermarket idler gear, where to buy?

Like the title mentions, where is a good place to pick up a new idler gear. I hear about the problems that can happen with old idler gears, but aside from checking the stock one every so often, is there anything else to do? I know stroker made one, but they are no more, so i am not sure if there is another company who's gear is recommended.

An aftermarket gear won't be any better.

so the idler gear is just the weakest link then? I guess it could be good to replace it every could years as preventative maintenance. How do these break anyways, kick starting it with too much force or something?

I have a '99 KLX 300, still have the stock idler gear. I upgraded the ACR a few years ago, that takes some stress off the idler. Most importantly, is the starting procedure. I bought a Stroker idler gear off Ebay, just haven't installed it yet.

so the idler gear is just the weakest link then? I guess it could be good to replace it every could years as preventative maintenance. How do these break anyways, kick starting it with too much force or something?

The bushing in the center of the idler gear wears and that puts stress on the gear contact area.......may even tilt into the clutch basket.

Ride on

Brewster

The early gears did not use a bushing and they made it too damm loose on the shaft, It would tilt as you kick started the bike,( the kick start and clutch would stay in alignment with the idler in the middle at an angle making about 50% contact) The Gear Rosseler made had a bushing with a very tight tolerance and would not tilt. The gears stayed meshed together properly.

Some where along the line they did change the idler gear, they made the shaft larger so a different gear was used, less problems. I do not know what year they did the change.

I have a used Rosseler gear I may be willing to part with if you can not find one

Robert

My '94 had a bushing. It wore, the gear hung up on the rivets on the back of the clutch breaking the shaft and the case. The teeth were all intact after this. I've never heard that a tight bushing was the advantage of the Stroker gear. Is it really tighter than a new stock part? I figured it was their answer to the broken gears but they were a symptom not the problem. Stroker gears have failed also.

The new bigger shaft started in '02 or '03. There have been guys on here with broken '06 or '07's.

Like Bob said, use the proper starting procedure.

Inspect the gear once in a while. There is a thread here with a drewing of an improved bushing that's a little wider.

The gear isn't the problem, the bushing is. Take a stock gear and put a better bushing in it. I replace the bushing in mine about once a year. I have also made them for other people on here. Do a search, there are quite a few threads on it.