Changing my starter...

Got a new starter to install.

Read the manual and it says to remove the cylinder in order to remove the starter.:busted:

Not really in the mood to do that two days before a trip.

I can see that I need to remove the subframe and carb.

I think the cam chain tensioner needs to come out as well.

But remove the cylinder too?!?!?

Anyone replaced their starter without going thru all that?

Any advise would be appreciated.

G

Got a new starter to install.

Read the manual and it says to remove the cylinder in order to remove the starter.:busted:

Not really in the mood to do that two days before a trip.

I can see that I need to remove the subframe and carb.

I think the cam chain tensioner needs to come out as well.

But remove the cylinder too?!?!?

Anyone replaced their starter without going thru all that?

Any advise would be appreciated.

G

I just the top end on my bike this past weekend and I put it all back together and then went to put the starter in and it would not fit. It hangs up on the mount on the side of the cylinder for the cam chain tensioner. What I did though was remove all 4 cylinder bolts and then lightly tapped each side of the cylinder with a mallet and lifted the cylinder and head up about a half inch and the starter slid right in. However you would need to drain your coolant to do this or else it would get everywhere. I don't think it's possible to get it in without doing the steps I outlined above. I was trying for a good 15 minutes before I decided to pop the cylinder up a bit.

One thing to note. I just thought of this while I was typing. When you remove the Cam Chain Tensioner and lift the cylinder a bit you do not need to remove the cam chain but you should check the timing after to make sure it is spot on. It would suck if it jumped a tooth when you lifted the cylinder up. I am going to double check that after work today.

Good Luck!

You will need a new head/base gasket as well, so the previous post will not work. Anytime you un-torque those 4 bolts holding the cylinder on you need to replace the gaskets.

You will need a new head/base gasket as well, so the previous post will not work. Anytime you un-torque those 4 bolts holding the cylinder on you need to replace the gaskets.

I hope I don't have a problem with it leaking then.