Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250 gear Ratios

Hey does anyone know what the gear ratios of a YZ 250 (I have a 2001, but any year from 99 up will do) is and a WR 450 im looking at doing the 3,4,5th gear swap.

This is my first post, I love this site there is so much info on here.

Send me your email and I can send this spreadsheet you can play with.

YZ250gears.jpg

Adam, I noticed that the WR's 3rd gear top speed is 51 mph and the YZ is 52.4.

When we do the mod can we keep the YZ's third gear so that the jump between 3rd and 4th is a little smaller ???

Nope. The way 3rd and 4th contact each other you must change both, not one or the other. The YZ 3rd has 3 dogs that interlock with 4th, the WR gears use 4 dogs.

The pic below is from THIS thread. YZ on the left, WR on the right.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5069&d=1185579566

Thanks, this is definitely a mod that is on my list.

I have all the info but never noticed the ratios, by the way how is the shifting between 3rd and 4th ???

I only did 5th, and it's a HUGE gap from the YZ 4th. For 99% of my riding it's fine, I'm usually 2nd or 3rd in single track, with 5th only being used for cruising connecting trails. But there have been a few times when I've been running really high 4th, so I go to 5th, but then rpms drop so far that I can't really loft the front end for G-outs or washes. That's the time I don't like the gap.

I think if I had to do it again I'd do 3rd, 4th, 5th. I wanted to save money, but at this point I'm so broke that the extra $140 or so would have been no big deal. :busted:

This is awesome! I have an 07 250 and love riding the bike in the desert but run out of gear on the top. How hard is it to change these gears and how much $$$?

Thanks

Subby

This is awesome! I have an 07 250 and love riding the bike in the desert but run out of gear on the top. How hard is it to change these gears and how much $$$?

Thanks

Subby

There's a right up in the Technical Articles section here on Thumpertalk.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534781

If you are comfortable splitting the cases then this is no problem. Changing the actual gears on the shaft is a piece of cake. But like I said, you need to split the cases.

To those that have asked for a copy of the spread sheet, I apologize. I sent a few out today, and I see that they came back. I'm guessing it's a problem on my end. I'll get the work computer back out and try again later.