IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

loud or quiet, what do you prefer? aftermarket exhaust systems

howdy all

i recently went riding with a bunch of fella's, i now wish i didn't, but anyway all of them had the loudest exhaust systems they could possibly get for there bikes, and when i asked them why, they simply said because they sound cool, and anyone with a stock exhaust is an idiot for having a crap sounding bike.

i went home at this point, but it got me thinking, theres a lot of these loud aftermarket exhaust systems out there, and a lot of people around here seem to go out and buy the biggest baest bike they can (usually a CRF 450R or KTM 525) and put the loudest, badest exhaust system on it they can.

so what dio you guy's prefer? if your in the market for an aftermarket exhaust, do you generally go down in decibels, or go for the loudest bark in the bush?

i'm currently riding an 09 KTM 300, stock exhaust rated at 92 DB and looking for something quieter.

i wish i could make this a poll.

I don't ride to listen to the bike, and as a matter of fact I can't think of a single benefit of having a loud bike. Annoys people, limits where and when you can ride, and draws attention to you when you might not want it.

I have zero interest in being loud. I like an exhaust to perform better, be lighter, and as a consequence many pipes that do that are louder than stock, but the increased sound is a downside not a benefit....at least to me.

I'm not your typical dirt bike guy, tho.

I stay as quiet as possible, loud hurts our sport.

Sound is one of the biggest complaints for land closures in many parts of the country.

I prefer the quietest I can have. Sadly, if you run a fully worked bike, the last step will be and open (and loud) system. But the exhaust is the last thing I do. Being it is a easy part to swap in and out, if I am riding someplace where noise is or could be an issue, I put the quiet system on, swap a few jets. Thirty minute job, well worth it to make everyone happy.

Those that put a loud system on because it sounds cool are putz's, in my book. Unfortunately, so many guys get a system, reiterate the advertising for the pipe, even though the bike is still way faster than them. My SM is way, way faster than me. Even my corked up WR is.

The quietest i can get and then i use earplugs. :busted:

The stock or quieter system. You can't race here with a loud system. You are checked during tech.

The best thing to prevent pissing off the citizens is to be out of sight, out of mind. I really like being able to ride into camp and not be noticed. I also like not needing earplugs.

Quiet as possible. Sound is energy, and your body uses energy dealing with it while riding. Amazing how much it takes from ya. I can't see the point...technology has shown that loud is not a telltale sign of power. Now IMHO it's a telltale sign of ignorance.

Well thats a good question. I prefer a good sounding bike not loud or quite. I currently have a 04 yz250f with a white bros. carbon pro and i love it. its a little louder then stock but not obnoxious. i like it when i get on the gas and i turn heads but i also like it when im going through the pits and i can hear my self think.

I have the FMF power bomb with a factory 4 "silencer" on my CRF, i put quotes around silencer cause i really dont think it does much silencing. According to dirt rider its the second loudest pipe for the CRF rater at 202 db... It could be quieter, but no one around here is bothered by it, except when i decided to go out at 2 am once, bad idea :busted:

I hate loud bikes but I love power. On a 4 stroke it's hard to have silence and power but a nice compromise can be reached.

Getting rid of weight is more important that hp however.

I hate loud bikes but I love power. On a 4 stroke it's hard to have silence and power but a nice compromise can be reached.

Getting rid of weight is more important that hp however.

+1:thumbsup:

you all sound like perfect canidates for electric bikes

you cant have so little noise that you cant yell cuss words when you do something wrong because someone will hear you...

and the whirring of that electric motor would make me gag

I like it a little quiet personally and work to keep my bike that way. Lately noise has become a big problem for some local tracks fighting to stay open, so I say we try to keep it quiet. Noise doesn't equal power anyway.

I prefer the quietest I can have. Sadly, if you run a fully worked bike, the last step will be and open (and loud) system. But the exhaust is the last thing I do. Being it is a easy part to swap in and out, if I am riding someplace where noise is or could be an issue, I put the quiet system on, swap a few jets. Thirty minute job, well worth it to make everyone happy.

Those that put a loud system on because it sounds cool are putz's, in my book. Unfortunately, so many guys get a system, reiterate the advertising for the pipe, even though the bike is still way faster than them. My SM is way, way faster than me. Even my corked up WR is.

You should try the JD jet kit and uncorck your wr. It will rip your arms off!:busted:

You guys who say you can't have power and quiet at the same time are completely misinformed. When the best riders in the world (top 10) say things like a 450 mx has more power than can be used you are fooling yourself into thinking that you and your skills can't live without 5hp.

But aside from a reality check of what you are actually capable of doing on a bike the FACT is the loud bikes are ruining the sport and closing riding areas. That's a fact... it's not rocket science or needs to be debated... it's a simple well known easy to understand fact.

I find it disgusting that the AMA, manufacturers of the bikes and whoever else has any control over this has done next too nothing about the noise these bikes make. They need to get their heads of the sand and wake up.