Sign in to follow this  

XR650R swingarm ?

Anyone got a good XR650R swingarm they want to get rid of. Mines chain adjuster bolt threads are messed up pretty bad and one side has a bolt broken off deep inside it

Thanks

hillside250@yahoo.com

Redlines, why not just drill out both sides and install heli coil thread inserts? That's what I ended up doing with mine. I don't like dealing with broken off bolts myself, so I removed the swingarm and took it to my local machine shop. Install new adjuster bolts after liberally applying Never Seize compound and you're good to go. :busted:

Yeah its broken off way deep in there and I figured if I had to take it off I might as well just try and get a good used one

Redlines, why not just drill out both sides and install heli coil thread inserts? That's what I ended up doing with mine. I don't like dealing with broken off bolts myself, so I removed the swingarm and took it to my local machine shop. Install new adjuster bolts after liberally applying Never Seize compound and you're good to go. :busted:

+1 :moon: I had to do that to my CR125 Works great! :p

so if you drill it out, does that drill away the thread that is in there.....how does the heli coil insert work?

so if you drill it out, does that drill away the thread that is in there.....how does the heli coil insert work?

I saw that swingarm on ebay it looks pretty beat with that dent. I think I will try and fix mine or wait until I get a better one

Yes, the old threads get drilled out. Heli coils are threaded on the outside as well as the inside. Once the old threads are drilled out, the holes are re-threaded (tapped) to the size of the outside of the coil. The coil is then threaded in and locked into place. The inside coil threads are the same dimension as the bolt (or screwed up threads) you just drilled out. You are now ready to install your new bolts. :busted:

I had to drill my KX this year.Starting out as a 10mm thread vs. 8mm on the xrs'..The holes ended up being too big to re-thread,so i just left it and now use a long bolt with just a locknut with the end of the bolt in the hole.Once the axle is tight snug up the nut so the bolt is tight against the axle.

I had the same problem on my 650R. I tried to drill it out without disturbing the threads and was not succesful. I ended up buying KTM adjuster bolts that are a little bigger diameter and retapped for those. Worked out great.

I had to lie a little to my bike and tell it the new adjuster bolts were from an old Honda. My Honda is extremely prejudice towards the orange crowd, not sure where it picked up this attitude, but I believe it's from the other Honda's she plays with.

Yes, the old threads get drilled out. Heli coils are threaded on the outside as well as the inside. Once the old threads are drilled out, the holes are re-threaded (tapped) to the size of the outside of the coil. The coil is then threaded in and locked into place. The inside coil threads are the same dimension as the bolt (or screwed up threads) you just drilled out. You are now ready to install your new bolts. :busted:

when u think about it a helicoil and/or insert makes gud sence...

the aluminium is prone to corrosion...then u add a dissimilar metal :p

replacing the swingarm is expensive and u still have the same problem although copious amounts of antisieze will cure it but usally overlooked until there is a problem :eek:

wut wus Honda thinking?

oh yeah were talk'n about Honda :mad:

:moon:

I saw that swingarm on ebay it looks pretty beat with that dent. I think I will try and fix mine or wait until I get a better one

Unless you are in a big hurry, they show up fairly often. GL