First offroad ride after running in

OK, So i just got back from first off road ride after buying the bike a week ago. Read alot about the bike before and after buying it and gotta say i am neither completely happy or upset with the bike.

The bike was in stock trim besides taking off the ADR compliant stuff for here in australia, removing the airbox snorkel and adding my bar risers. (no AIS on aussie models).

After running in on the street didnt really give it much throttle until i changed the oil and filter for the first time, which was just before i went off road.

Am really happy with the power (before a rejet and running lean as hell) as i just came off a 250x red one, and the handling seems much the same which in my opinion is quite good and i am only 80 kilos so setup didnt seem too bad for suspension. And didnt reallt notice the weight difference in the twistie stuff

But on the other hand, i suffered the overheating problem (too lean i know but is just not a decent excuse from a dealer selling a brand new bike to run in australian, not californian, conditions). Also found the gearing to be way to high, first gear is just too fast for tricky hill climbs, gotta use too much clutch, which also adds to the heating problem. And i can positively say that after one day on the trails my battery was dead.

After adding up the money i need to spend on the bike to suit me (rear sprocket $40, jet kit $180 and battery charger $50) i definately think it was worth the three and a half grand i saved on buying either of the other jap bikes or the euro ones. So i guess after my next ride with hopefully all the new bits im after i will be completley happy.

cheers guys. Soon to be another happy green fan

you sound like the rest of us before the mods, your prices seem high on the parts listed, is this an Australia thing? P.S. do something with the exhaust as well.

When I think back to my first couple of rides on my KLX the most impressive part came after about the 3rd. ride. The susp. finally was broke in and what a difference it made in the tight stuff(way to stiff at first) The jetting will make it better all the way around. I am still on my orig. battery and you can get a cheap battery tender/charger at KMart for $20.00 or less. I only use mine if it sits for more than 3wks(shame on me)My good friends on KTM's still over heat terribly even after jetting. The best thing Kaw, did was put a ketch bottle on it. I have had mine for well over a year and have not had to add any water yet. I sure enjoy my bike and hope you enjoy yours. Thanks, Jack

When I think back to my first couple of rides on my KLX the most impressive part came after about the 3rd. ride. The susp. finally was broke in and what a difference it made in the tight stuff(way to stiff at first) The jetting will make it better all the way around. I am still on my orig. battery and you can get a cheap battery tender/charger at KMart for $20.00 or less. I only use mine if it sits for more than 3wks(shame on me)My good friends on KTM's still over heat terribly even after jetting. The best thing Kaw, did was put a ketch bottle on it. I have had mine for well over a year and have not had to add any water yet. I sure enjoy my bike and hope you enjoy yours. Thanks, Jack

Mine was the opposite, way too soft after it was broken in. I weigh 220lbs though. After the suspension was done it is now really fun to push it.

The jet kit seems about twice the cost I would expect it to be.

Jetted and resprung it becomes an awesome bike

yeh the prices are expensive cause most the stuff comes from the states. About 5 months ago i could get stuff really cheap by buying it from there myself, for example: i Bought an FMF Q4 Ti muffler for my 250 and it was $430 shipped, but to buy it here at the time was about $600 so it was worth it. But that was when our dollar was almost even with yours, now our dollar is only worth about 65 cents US so it cant be justified to spend the extra on shipping as it turns out around the same price as buying from a shop over here.

i am in australia to and i have to try to do most of my stuff on the cheap and i have managed to get my bike quite the power house and stoped the over heating etc etc

took out the snorkel

battery went flat the weekend after i picked it up(picked up bike friday arvo)

checked the charge rate and it was way to low,, took the bike back to the shop and told them to fix it,,,,they told me there was nothing wrong with it(although they needed the bike all day),,never had a problem since...

Picked up a 08 kx 450 muffler from the states on ebay for really cheap($220)delivered to my door then i pulled out my main jet(145)and swapped it out for one in the spares kit(148) and holly shit did it go then but it was way to lean(cracking on decel etc) took out the needle and moved it up one notch,this cleaned it up alot(no more cracking)but robbed me of a little bit of power and seen as the clip is now on its last notch, the head mechanic of my dealaship gave me a new main jet(152) so i put it in and then leaned it of one clip,then another and WOW it is a new bike more power then i can use and no more over heating so spending that much money on a jet kit seems like a waist of money that could be spent on dressing up the kwaka

hope any of this helps you out

just spend some time playing with your bike and you will be pleased with the results you can get

p/s

i keeped the standerd header pipe due to the fact i like the tourqe it gives me,,,but you could also get a kx header to give you a bit more power??

to get the main jet out just use a 17mm spanner and a 6mm 1/4 drive socket on a little nuckle bar ,,easy as ,,,took me about 10,,15 mins to do and have never done before

good luck!!!!

:busted:

i am in australia to and i have to try to do most of my stuff on the cheap and i have managed to get my bike quite the power house and stoped the over heating etc etc

took out the snorkel

battery went flat the weekend after i picked it up(picked up bike friday arvo)

checked the charge rate and it was way to low,, took the bike back to the shop and told them to fix it,,,,they told me there was nothing wrong with it(although they needed the bike all day),,never had a problem since...

Picked up a 08 kx 450 muffler from the states on ebay for really cheap($220)delivered to my door then i pulled out my main jet(145)and swapped it out for one in the spares kit(148) and holly shit did it go then but it was way to lean(cracking on decel etc) took out the needle and moved it up one notch,this cleaned it up alot(no more cracking)but robbed me of a little bit of power and seen as the clip is now on its last notch, the head mechanic of my dealaship gave me a new main jet(152) so i put it in and then leaned it of one clip,then another and WOW it is a new bike more power then i can use and no more over heating so spending that much money on a jet kit seems like a waist of money that could be spent on dressing up the kwaka

hope any of this helps you out

just spend some time playing with your bike and you will be pleased with the results you can get

p/s

i keeped the standerd header pipe due to the fact i like the tourqe it gives me,,,but you could also get a kx header to give you a bit more power??

to get the main jet out just use a 17mm spanner and a 6mm 1/4 drive socket on a little nuckle bar ,,easy as ,,,took me about 10,,15 mins to do and have never done before

good luck!!!!

:busted:

Hi klx450r

did you take plastics, tank, etc off to get to carby ??? I've done a little on 2 stroke carbys but the re-jet on my klx will be my 1st 4 stroke, I've got a full barrett exhaust coming. from what I've read from others I need to go up to a 48 pilot jet and either a 155 or 165 main jet.

yer, you have to pull the tank off,shrouds,seat etc

then the top of the carbi is right there just undo the little inspection plate on top (two little allen keys).then twist the trottle fully and you will see the needle ass come up the just undo that allen key bolt and pull out the needle(you will need a pair off small long nose pliers or twezers) move the little clip on the needle up to richern her up or down to lean

sounds like alot but if you have all the tools ready to go it wont take that long i have it down to around 15mins now

p/s

make sure when you are moving the clip you do it over a white towl or something of the sort (even a clean parts tray)due to the fact that the clip is very small and would be a pain in the arse if you dropped it in say dirt etc:banghead:

Thanks klx450r

I wasn't planning to move clip just change pilot to 48 and main to 155 or 165 not sure which yet...

if you r just doing the main jet you dont have to take of anything off,,

some of the boys on here had to slightly rotate the carb by unding the hose clamps on eather side of the carbi but i had plenty of room and dident need to touch any thing

i listed what i needed back on my first entry in this thread:ride:

he's right ,no need to remove anything if ur just doing the main jet,its easy as and i've never done it before either.i have changed to a 155 main jet,i changed to a 48 pilot for a while and also changed the needle to make it richer(3rd down if memory serves me right) and found that it was causing the bike to surge at throttle openings where those jets are working and dirtied up the spark plug. put them back to stock and left the 155 main jet and it runs sweet.have removed snorkel and run a tip identical to the pro moto billet insert.hope this helps..

Thanks, is sure is helping, hope to put new pipe on next weekend. do i need carb off to do pilot jet ??? A bloke on another forum, who's got same exhaust as I'm getting told me he put 155 main, 48 pilot, stock needle position, and remove snorkel, and his runs sweet...

u can get to it without removing the carb,its right in front of the main jet and can be accessed through the same hole once u remove the drain/plug from the bottom of the carby,i used a small mirror to have a look up there when i started and kept checking every now and then that the pilot jet was actually turning cause it takes a few turns to get it out and u think ur going nowhere!u also need a small screw driver and a lot of patience but i hate pulling shit apart so thats the way i went!i also drilled a hole through the handle of the screw driver so that i could put an allen key or something like that through it.this way i could put upward pressure on the screw driver with one hand and it gave me leverage to turn it with the other,thus avoiding stuffing the head of the pilot jet which is just like any other screw.one more thing,don't over tighten it when doing it back up....i'd try running the bike for a while with just the main jet change then check the spark plug after a couple of rides,if its all good i'd leave the pilot alone as it makes no diffence to the power its putting out or the temp of the bike,and its a pain in the butt to get at(thats my experience anyway)....good luck

Thanks,

New pipe turned up today so I'll do it this week, will post how I went.

Thanks for all your help.

P.s sorry for hi-jacking this thread...

u can get to it without removing the carb,its right in front of the main jet and can be accessed through the same hole once u remove the drain/plug from the bottom of the carby,i used a small mirror to have a look up there when i started and kept checking every now and then that the pilot jet was actually turning cause it takes a few turns to get it out and u think ur going nowhere!u also need a small screw driver and a lot of patience but i hate pulling shit apart so thats the way i went!i also drilled a hole through the handle of the screw driver so that i could put an allen key or something like that through it.this way i could put upward pressure on the screw driver with one hand and it gave me leverage to turn it with the other,thus avoiding stuffing the head of the pilot jet which is just like any other screw.one more thing,don't over tighten it when doing it back up....i'd try running the bike for a while with just the main jet change then check the spark plug after a couple of rides,if its all good i'd leave the pilot alone as it makes no diffence to the power its putting out or the temp of the bike,and its a pain in the butt to get at(thats my experience anyway)....good luck

Thanks John your post helped heaps, I got main and pilot jets out doing it your way, I went with 165 main and 48 pilot after talking to exhaust manufacturer, It seams to be running great. I will do a ride this weekend and post a report, Thanks again to you and everyone else that gave input..

glad i could help...what kind of pipe did you end up getting?

I would of kept the snorkel in if I was gonna ride it without changing the jetting. Taking it out just makes it leaner, which would obviously take away power.

glad i could help...what kind of pipe did you end up getting?

I ended up getting the barrett, I have put 165 main jet in but its to rich so I'm going back to a 155 and hope thats better, The pics of my bike are on pics thread in here.

if its no better i'd give the stock needle and pilot jet settings a try with the 155 main jet,you'd be suprised what a difference it can make if these are too rich,mine wasn't happy at all when holding a constant throttle setting where these jets are working (0-1/2 throttle),i put them back to stock and it cleaned it right up