New Cylinder Works BB Installed

I just finished a cylinderworks 435 installation on my 2002 s model supermoto. I also added E- model inlet and exhaust cams and changed crank pin, main bearings, cam chain etc and anything that was out of spec. I already had installed an FCR jetted according to Eddie's recommendations apart from the needle where I could only get hold of the emq here in Greece which is a bit leaner. I also had installed a full FMF Q2 exhaust.

After running in the bike, I am not that impressed with the power increase. Its as powerful as when I had it with the S cams and standard bore. What can be the reason for lack of the expected power (no more power wheelies and less over rev)?

I have kept the same jetting since now its around mid 30's and snowing so the main is at 160 and pilot is 45, needle on the 3rd clip. I suspect that the base gasket should have been set at one layer instead of three which came with the kit, but my mechanic insisted to keep it at three layers for more "reliability" as he says the higher compression will affect the crank bearing lifespan.

Should I lower the main to the suggested 158 and or open the motor and get the base gasket to one layer?

I don't think that the base gasket is the main problem. But you need to use the one layer with the E cam.

With the bumpier camshafts and S-spec base gasket, I wouldn't doubt if you now have less of an effective compression ratio than before.

I have a feeling you'll be best off with the EMN needle at the recommended clip position.

You'll also probably be recommended to triple-check the cam timing.

When I test rode my DR-Z400SM after installing my Cylinder Works 94mm big bore kit to go along with the Keihin FCR39 jetted exactly to Eddie's specs, the difference was easily noticable.

Even with the stock exhaust (which I used for a few days afterwards until switching to an FMF full system with Powerbomb header and Q2 muffler), the increase in power and torque was exactly what I'd hoped for and expected.

Before, power wheelies simply would not happen unless I sat on the rear fender.

Sad.

After, it snapped up wheelies as a performance bike should.

Basically, if you say it runs the same or worse than before, something ain't the way it should be.

Correct it, and you'll be a happy camper. :moon:

Aside from my bike using Stage 1 Hotcams and your FCR39 being jetted differently and your bike using the thicker S base gasket, it sounds like we have the same set-up, so yours should be able to rip quite well, indeed. :busted:

Hope you not have bought california model e-cams that is the same as s-sm cams. Have seen a couple been sold on ebay for a very high price!

Yes, I've seen that kind of snake oil salesman ad on Ebay, too, along with supposed E model head pipes that are really S/SM ones.

In fact, I now have one of those it's-an-E-model-head-pipe-oops-it's-really-not-haa-haa-on-you-sucker head pipes collecting dust on a shelf for $40.

Funny how almost everything that's for sale on Ebay that fits DR-Z400 models is from a friggin' E model, huh? :moon:

Crooks. :busted:

you need .. EMN needle 3rd clip , 1 base gasket to suit , the MRD full exhaust system to release the full potential . as mentioned check the cam timing , obviously the air cleaner and air box is as it should be .

Get the emn needle ,go down to a 158mj.

Is it possible that your cams are a bit off position?

When I installed my bigbore(Athena), the power increase was very good.

I put in hotcams together with the cylinder,so it could be a couple of hp's hiding there ?

fmf q,unknown cams or wrong cam timing.

Ela re patrida !

Where did you get the cams ? 'E models cams are marked with A the in and B the ex .

Are you in Athens ?

Post pictures of the cams installed so we can see position and markings.

I got the E cams from the suzuki dealer in Athens. Comparing them to S cams they are night and day and check with the specs in this sight. The emq needle is on the 4th clip and is exactly the same as emn apart from needle straight diameter, emn is 2,725 and emq is 2,745 which is slightly leaner, that is why I ended up on the 4th clip. To get the emn needle I will have to wait for a couple of months. Should I go down on the main? I'll check the cam timing when I go for my first oil change next week.

Vasili I live in chalandri, athens.....maybe we can meet up and go for a ride.

Yea man , i live in Exarhia .

How much did the bb kit cost ?

I got the E cams from the suzuki dealer in Athens. Comparing them to S cams they are night and day and check with the specs in this sight. The emq needle is on the 4th clip and is exactly the same as emn apart from needle straight diameter, emn is 2,725 and emq is 2,745 which is slightly leaner, that is why I ended up on the 4th clip. To get the emn needle I will have to wait for a couple of months. Should I go down on the main? I'll check the cam timing when I go for my first oil change next week.

Vasili I live in chalandri, athens.....maybe we can meet up and go for a ride.

Call Bills rebuilds 213 0143 302 or www.billsrebuilds.gr and ask for the emn needle.

I've got some jets from him in a couple of days, so it should be even faster within your country. Part no. is EMN/017-262

Call Bills rebuilds 213 0143 302 or www.billsrebuilds.gr and ask for the emn needle.

I've got some jets from him in a couple of days, so it should be even faster within your country. Part no. is EMN/017-262

Bill isent that fast on Sudco stuff! Probably thats why he has to wait for 2 months. I got sudco parts from Germany in 10 days. http://www.klasmo-bikes.de

Thanks guys, I know bill and his delivery times realy depend on how and when he has delivery from the states. Sometimes it takes 10 days and some times 2 months! I'll give him a ring after new years. Still I have a feeling that the base gasket together with the Q exhaust kills my engines potential. How can I get a MRD pipe over to Greece?

The CW big bore came to about 500 Euros!

Thanks guys, I know bill and his delivery times realy depend on how and when he has delivery from the states. Sometimes it takes 10 days and some times 2 months! I'll give him a ring after new years. Still I have a feeling that the base gasket together with the Q exhaust kills my engines potential. How can I get a MRD pipe over to Greece?

The CW big bore came to about 500 Euros!

Forget about the base gasket.

There's not much difference in output, and I'll guess you never could feel the extra power.

If you have pulled your cylinder off for other reasons (Stroker:banana: ),then there will be a good time to change ,but if not, it's not worth the works/power.

Regarding Bill ,it depends on what's in stock locally, he has jets, and probably some needles. If not, then you have to wait ,but it's worth a call:thumbsup:

+1 on Bill , sent him a e mail , he is going to be in US in some days , so he is gonna to bring with him and also ship some parts quicker !

I was in his store some hours ago .

Am in the way for a mrd-ssw pipe , just waitting a guy to buy my Akra..

500 from where man ? eBay or somewhere else ?

+1 on Bill , sent him a e mail , he is going to be in US in some days , so he is gonna to bring with him and also ship some parts quicker !

I was in his store some hours ago .

Am in the way for a mrd-ssw pipe , just waitting a guy to buy my Akra..

500 from where man ? eBay or somewhere else ?

Well ,now you are aboard the train to 55-60hp's..:busted:

Lucky for you,the drz is quite cheap to get to it limits,guess 4-5k$ it's all it takes.:mad::eek::p

My other bike is another story ,5k$ doesn't bring me far....

So , I've ordered a new bike (gixxer 1000 k9),so I can start over again...:moon::p :p

i think its your jetting.... i recently did a CW big bore kit and used the 3ply base gasket,3x3 mod, FCR39, hotcams stage 1 in/ out and standard MRD pipe ( i bought it right before the SSW edition was released)..... i'm about 800' elevation and am running a 152 main jet.... the bike is a rocket compared to stock!

KOokaloo! :busted:

Frank

I just finished a cylinderworks 435 installation on my 2002 s model supermoto. I also added E- model inlet and exhaust cams and changed crank pin, main bearings, cam chain etc and anything that was out of spec. I already had installed an FCR jetted according to Eddie's recommendations apart from the needle where I could only get hold of the emq here in Greece which is a bit leaner. I also had installed a full FMF Q2 exhaust.

After running in the bike, I am not that impressed with the power increase. Its as powerful as when I had it with the S cams and standard bore. What can be the reason for lack of the expected power (no more power wheelies and less over rev)?

I have kept the same jetting since now its around mid 30's and snowing so the main is at 160 and pilot is 45, needle on the 3rd clip. I suspect that the base gasket should have been set at one layer instead of three which came with the kit, but my mechanic insisted to keep it at three layers for more "reliability" as he says the higher compression will affect the crank bearing lifespan.

Should I lower the main to the suggested 158 and or open the motor and get the base gasket to one layer?

the Q2 exhaust is great for being quiet but it is going to negate all the performance mods , if sound is not an issue you should pull the core out of the muffler and remove the baffel so you can see straight through and then put it back in , the power difference will be drastic