mikuni carb swap ?

ok i am looking into maybe getting a mikuni TM carb for my 80 xr200...

TM would be the one to find right ?

i have read that this is a huge improvement over the original old school keihin pd carb such as what is on mine..

i have been trying to find a throttle slide needle and retainer for mine because they were lost...

but cannot find them anywhere... and this is the only thing preventing me from firing the bike up... very frustrating...

so i may have no choice but to change carb anyways.. and am gonna have to give it up and face that i am not gonna be able to run the original keihin again...

does anyone know the measurements on the TM mikuni carbs ?

or what carb will fit my intake and is single throttle cable top loaded style like the keihin carbs were ?

mine measures right about 47mm from stud to stud centers on the intake...

and 29mm venturi inside diameter..

pic of an old keihin pd:

really i am in a dilemma and need some direction.

thanks for anything

The 80 XR200 used the XR185 carb and the Keihin PD carb is the BEST carb for the XR200R engine. Just go online to http://www.motorcycle.mrhondaparts.com/honda-motorcycle-parts.htm and order a needle.

The XR185/200/R carb is a Keihin PD28 (early) and PD97 (late). The outlet ID is 30mm and the slide OD is 24mm. I don't know the spacing on the flange holes.

The slides and needles are simular thru the years so just order the parts closest to the year of your bike that are still available. I bought a new late model slide for my 82 and the Keihin codes on it matched the old slide. I've checked needles from different years with a micrometer and although the Honda part numbers are different they measure the same. The only change thru the years seem to be jet sizes because of changes in displacement, compression, muffers, and intake. The cams and valves are all the same.

When searching Honda parts online it helps to understand the Honda part numbering system: The first five digits of the part number is the application, e.g. all needles will have the same first five digits. The middle three digits is the model code the part was first used on. The last three digits indicate revisions and changes. 446 is the XR185 model code and a lot of those parts are used in the XR200s, the 81-83 is KA2, and the 86 and on is KT0.

Here is the partnumber for the 80 XR200 needle set: 16012-446-014

And the partnumber for the 86-92 XR200R needle set: 16012-KT0-004

(which replaced the 16012-KA2-004 used on the 81-83 XR200R)

mines a 200 not 200R.

never seen a 200R in real life..

bikes are very rare here in old farmer cornfield land IL..

youre now the first person i have ever seen to say anything good at all about this old keihin carb design, haha..

scroll down in this thread to see one of so many ppl dogging these old keihin xr 200 carbs:

3rd Gear Member

Re: My YSR 200 4 Stroke build!

Get rid of that stock carb on the xr200. It will make it a total dog. Pop on a Mikuni TM28 Flatslide. Also, while you are at it, get the head ported and get some custom ground cams from webcamshaft.com. A stock xr200 doesn't make a lot of power, but it definitely has a lot of potential.

heres what i got for a 1980 XR200:

16012-446-014 (replaces 16012-446-004) 001 $25.58

26 dollars insane...

better off getting a whole other carb really..

but cant find a good keihin one..

and everyone always says the mikuni wakes these 200s up and makes them run so much better and makes them actually start up without trouble..

so thats why i have been asking about a mikuni that can fit in place of these old keihin carbs..

i see you are in WA.

a buddy of mine whom i have known for around 15 years now and lives a couple blocks away from here is from Seattle and was an army ranger for years.

we were just talking about washington state the other day over at the shop. and it sounds like WA is a whole different kind of world than out here in flatland usa...

i cant imagine at all.. hills and rocks and mountgains and stuff ??

very odd...

sounds like mars to me!

Reread my post; the Keihin PD carb is used on the XR185/XR200/XR200R.

I've used Honda 185/200 engines (stock and modded) since 1981 for competition and trail riding; and I think you will find that other users also agree that the Keihin carb is the best choice for this motor. Powroll has been modding these motors from day one for competition so I suggest you call them and ask what carb they recommend.

I believe the part number that you listed is the correct one for the XR185/200 engine.

If you install a different carb enjoy the re jetting adventure.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Honda Dude1997
      I have a 1997 xr200r I am currently doing a mild rebuild. I found a set of forks on ebay but I have noticed that the rear shock is not readily available like the forks. Is there an alternate route that I could take that would work with my bike? 
    • By spezza-125
      Anyways so I got a 1985 xr200r RFVC, and I have heard that the oil really overheats and in some cases people have had their bike (Rarely) go up in flames, however I don't want to take any chances and I heard that there is a way to put on some sort of oil cooler... How do I do it??
    • By Yamiha
      I have a '01 XR200 and i was wondering it anyone could give me a top speed for it. Where i live its more 2 lane highways and things so i cant find a good straight to run it with a car in. Thanks
    • By Quick Draw
      I decided to compile a list of common modifications for the XR200 in hopes of eliminating some of the common questions asked on this forum. These modifications are intended to improve the overall performance of the bike, without sacrificing reliability. Feel free to suggest amendments or things to edit.
      The XR200 is an excellent offroad machine; however, it was for the most part obsolete about 20 years ago. The bike can still be accredited to having probably the best reliability of any full size bike out there. When properly setup and modified, the "little XR" can run with the modern big bikes, especially in the tight and nasty technical terrain.
      INTAKE: Remove the airbox snorkel on top of the airbox. It just takes a little prying and it's out. For $20-$40, you can get an aftermarket filter (UNI, TwinAir, No Toil), that will help increase airflow. Rejet one size up on the main and pilot.
      Here are the stock jetting specs to give you a basline:
      Stock jetting
      XR200 (not XR200R)
      main 102
      pilot 35
      Needle position 3rd groove
      Pilot screw initial setting 1 3/4 turns out
      XR200R (81-83 only)
      Main 138
      Pilot none
      Needle position 3rd grove
      Pilot screw initial setting 2 1/2 turns out
      XR200R (86 and later)
      Main 112 (86) 110 (87 and later)
      pilot 38 35(98 and later CA only)
      Needle position 3rd groove
      Pilot screw initial setting 1 1/8 turns out
      When these things are done, the bike will breath much better. This is the single greatest modification for a bike ridden at high altitude.
      Overall cost w/out filter: about $10 for jets; $20-$40 for the aftermarket filter
      ENGINE: The greatest improvement to the XR200R engine is a big bore kit. Here are the 2 most common kits: http://www.powroll.com/P_HONDA_XR200.htm
      Other options include porting and polishing the head, high compression pistons, hotter cams, etc. The more you do, the more reliability is reduced, but it is a trade off for power. Another option is an ’83 -’85 ATC200X cylinder head. It has a .5mm smaller bore, so it would need to be bored to 65.5mm, however, it has much larger cooling fins. For motors that are constantly being run in extreme temperatures, this is an option to consider.
      Overall cost: Varies by modification, expect to drop $200-$1000
      EXHAUST: There are several aftermarket exhausts on the market. These range from silencers to full systems. Prices range from $80-$500. Most aftermarket exhausts will give about the same improvement. The engine will rev quicker, which can be nice, but mostly they all just make the bike louder. For mild improvement to the stock system: grind the weld off of the inside of the header and remove the small cap held on by 2 8mm bolts at the exhaust tip.
      Overall cost: 0-$500
      SUSPENSION: This is a major weakness with '92-'02 XR200s. The first option for the forks is to give the springs more preload by adding a larger spacer on top of the springs. The second, most common option is to swap out the entire suspension. '84-'91 XR200 forks and rear shocks will bolt right up, and ‘81-’83 XR200R forks will with the corresponding triple clamps. '84-'89 CR125/250 front ends will bolt up to any XR200R with the addition of a spacer. This particular swap is more complicated, but also adds a disc brake and improves the bike tremendously when used in combination with an '84-'91 XR200 rear shock. See this thread for more info on CR front ends: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...1&parentpage=2 These parts frequently show up on Ebay and can be obtained very cheap. Also, a visit to racetech.com or similar suspension tuning company couldn't hurt with any setup. Emulators and progressive springs will get conventional forks nice and plush. Currently, XR250 rear shocks are in question as to what years will work; therefore, I do not recommend them at this point. Many people have them on their 200, however there is not a definitive answer for the years yet. Be sure to research before you buy.
      Overall cost: Generally less than $100; for Racetech tuning, expect to drop $200+.
      WHEELS: An 18" rear wheel from an '86-'89 XR250 will bolt right up. This can help because the 17" wheel spins too much sometimes, and tends to work its own spokes loose. There is also a much greater tire selection with the 18" rear wheel.
      Overall cost: Generally less than $100
      LIGHTING/DUAL SPORT: Lights can easily be added to the 200 by tying into a pink wire that just comes up under the tank, then loops right back down to the stator. This wire has no purpose, and was left behind in the wiring harness, because the non-American XR200s had lights, and Honda didn't pay to change the wiring harness or the stator. I have personally tested it up to 75 watts, but I wouldn't recommend going much higher. From there it is simply a matter of wiring it the way you want it. In any application you will need a 12v voltage regulator. I would be happy to assist with any questions on the wiring you may have, since I have redone mine several times to change things. Also, please visit this thread for some diagrams (about halfway down the page): http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=431097 Each wiring job is different, so it is difficult to write a generalized way to do it. For dual sporting, there are kits from Baja Designs and similar companies, or you can be creative and pull parts together yourself, and in result save lots of money. The first time I had lights on my bike, it only cost me $6. A speedometer cable can be attached to the speedometer port on the front brake hub, as long as you can find a way to mount the speedometer. TrailTech computers are the easy alternative to the manual speedometer.
      Overall cost: Dependent upon creativity. Baja Designs kit runs around $450
      Helpful XR200 Links:
      www-staff.lboro.ac.uk/~elvpc/papers/XR200.html (engine info)
      http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/lightup/ (adding lights)
      **I need more links for XR200 INFORMATION, NOT PRODUCT websites....Post them in this thread if you have them***
      Again, please feel free to suggest editing....I'm sure there are MANY things I forgot. This is just a baseline to get started.
    • By Footy
      I don't have photo access yet but lets see your 200's.