Sign in to follow this  

Chain Guide Question

Recently bought an 08 DR-Z400SM, my first non-sportbike. I'm assuming that the chain guide that mounts under the swingarm by the rear sprocket is primarily a dirt bike thing.

My question is, how much resistance does this add, and is it safe/worth it to take it off?

Thanks,

martin

No it's not OK to take off. It is required, Your bike has more suspension travel then a road bike.... That means the chain has to have more slack, thus the rollers and chain guide. Very little friction assuming you correctly align the wheel (chain and sprockets) You can buy aftermarket guides made from materials that are supposed to have less friction is that is a large concern.

Okay, thanks--I'll definitely keep it on.

So given the suspension travel issue, does this also mean the chain should be kept adjusted with more slack than a regular streetbike?

Many thanks,

martin

Yes, good easy measurement fr the DRZ. Put the bike on a stand so the back wheel is off the ground.. Push down on the chain near the rear of the swing arm slider ...Chain should just touch the rear part, near the screw.

Too tight wears the sprockets, and can in extreme case bust hubs, countershafts, and toast bearings.

Remember,,,, the Chan will be at the tightness when the swing arm is directly out from the pivot point.. Above and below that point it will e looser.. > At full travel it will seem very loose to someone used to just street bikes.

Okay, thanks--I'll definitely keep it on.

So given the suspension travel issue, does this also mean the chain should be kept adjusted with more slack than a regular streetbike?

Many thanks,

martin

Okay, that's really good info to know.

BTW, I still have my sportbike for freeway commuting and long rides, but wow--what a great ride the DRZ is for city riding and tight twisty roads!

Yes, good easy measurement fr the DRZ. Put the bike on a stand so the back wheel is off the ground.. Push down on the chain near the rear of the swing arm slider ...Chain should just touch the rear part, near the screw.

Cheers, thats a great tip!

Another means to measure is to make sure you can get 3 fingers between the swingarm and the chain just behind the front chain slider. [Obvously, fingers sizes vary, but it should get you in the ballpark.]