Another Boot Thread

Hey, guys! Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Mine was splendid and I am enjoying this week off so much I might just call in and quit my job!

But then I wouldn't be able to get the trials boots I want (or eat, or pay the mortgage, etc.) so I guess I'll keep hacking code until one of my books sells.

I asked for trials boots for Christmas but didn't get them, but I got a lot of other good stuff so I'm not complaining. And that's the great thing about being a grownup! If you didn't get what you asked for, and you still have a little cash after buying presents for the kiddies, you can go get it yourself!

It's down to the Novogars in the $250 range, the Gaernes or Diadora in the $320 range, or the Hebo TR in the $350 range. I know everyone raves about the Gaerne Oiled so is there anyone out there with experience with the others? What are the pros wearing these days? 2Ply, Fester, YZ, Gandalf, others? I'm sort of leaning towards the Hebos but don't really know why.

Hey, guys! Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Mine was splendid and I am enjoying this week off so much I might just call in and quit my job!

But then I wouldn't be able to get the trials boots I want (or eat, or pay the mortgage, etc.) so I guess I'll keep hacking code until one of my books sells.

I asked for trials boots for Christmas but didn't get them, but I got a lot of other good stuff so I'm not complaining. And that's the great thing about being a grownup! If you didn't get what you asked for, and you still have a little cash after buying presents for the kiddies, you can go get it yourself!

It's down to the Novogars in the $250 range, the Gaernes or Diadora in the $320 range, or the Hebo TR in the $350 range. I know everyone raves about the Gaerne Oiled so is there anyone out there with experience with the others? What are the pros wearing these days? 2Ply, Fester, YZ, Gandalf, others? I'm sort of leaning towards the Hebos but don't really know why.

Not much help- I have the Gaernes oiled- ankles creases bothered me at first, but not after getting the buckles set correctly- my biggest problem with the Gaernes was they arrived without care instructions or a single spare plastic buckle. I figure if you get top buck for something you could throw in a $2 buckle.:busted:

While we get a new boot thread, also respond with care products- what works on your boots(like what takes off all the metal sheen on the bike side of the boots). Not too concerned about looks, just want these babies to last.

I have the Novogars.

I like how comfortable they are to walk in.

Do not feel they have the quality of the others, but so far I like them.

The bottoms are thiner and thought it would be a problem, but I do not feel any less support than the Garnee I had before.

For the major savings, I thought it was worth giving them a try.

I have a wide foot and normally have to buy boots a size or more larger to fit my width, the Novo's were spot on with size.:busted:

I have bought many of the current brands, but for my feet and big calves, the AlpineStars No-Stop boots have been the best fit and the ONLY boots that did not bite me when the boot was breaking in. So many of them would form a hinge or crease point in the leather at a place where it would put pressure on my foot and create a sore spot.

The AlpineStars have soft panels that force the boot to bend in those areas without forming leather creases in sensitive spots. I also like the smaller foot-print of the boot with no sole lip to catch on anything. The last 2 pairs I've bought over the last 6 years have been $279

2009_Alpinestars_No_Stop_Trials_Boots.jpg

NoStopWH.jpg

These people are showing $289.95 current price:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/3/886/ITEM/Alpinestars-No-Stop-Trials-Boots.aspx

........like what takes off all the metal sheen on the bike side of the boots............

That's easy!! Don't hug the bike with your boots against the frame (and muffler) and you will not get that sheen in the first place. :moon:

One practice is to put decals or an easy to remove tape on your frame near the foot pegs and see how long you can ride and not destroy it.

Start your ride with the boots against the frame at the pegs and then consciously move them out at least 1-1/2" on each peg as the correct riding point. The outside tips of the pegs should be near the center of your sole to allow your boot to roll out over the peg in turns as well as front to rear for up and downs and in power and braking. You'll get better leverage and counter-balancing ability with the wider stance.

One important design in some of the boots is a tougher rubber spot where the tip of the pegs should contact the boots. and most average boots wear out at this place. :busted:

actually, i think the diadora's are just under 300... atleast that's what the last e-mail i got with prices from lewisport said

That's easy!! Don't hug the bike with your boots against the frame (and muffler) and you will not get that sheen in the first place. :moon:

One practice is to put decals or an easy to remove tape on your frame near the foot pegs and see how long you can ride and not destroy it.

Start your ride with the boots against the frame at the pegs and then consciously move them out at least 1-1/2" on each peg as the correct riding point. The outside tips of the pegs should be near the center of your sole to allow your boot to roll out over the peg in turns as well as front to rear for up and downs and in power and braking. You'll get better leverage and counter-balancing ability with the wider stance.

One important design in some of the boots is a tougher rubber spot where the tip of the pegs should contact the boots. and most average boots wear out at this place. :busted:

Thats Great- when I was writing that reply I was going to add- "And my boots wouldnt get that way if I followed 2-Ply's advice to not be so 'quiet on the pegs' and get those knees out!":lol:

I am working on that- but I am also trying to learn to cover my rear brake when I pop the wheel up, havent figured how to do that without keeping close. I have been reminding myself to move around on the pegs and get away from the bike. Honest.

The on off are very good as well. My Gaernes are not very good. I keep them for winter riding. I have one broken buckle, other areas of the boots are torn.

Keep in mind 2plys response as to the large calves. If your planning on wearing MX style knee pads, the on off will not work.

Also, I had a very good conversation with Adrien at Lewisport about boots. There is a reason he sells the Diadoras. You should contact him and talk to him about various boots.

Keep in mind 2plys response as to the large calves. If your planning on wearing MX style knee pads, the on off will not work.

Also, I had a very good conversation with Adrien at Lewisport about boots. There is a reason he sells the Diadoras. You should contact him and talk to him about various boots.

My experience above included the Diadoras. Though I really liked the boots and was getting used to the inner boot/sock, I was having trouble with the leather creasing in and causing a sore spot on one boot only. It was that problem that prompted me to do the Snow Seal / Oven treatment that went Bad and melted one buckle strap completely off!! My fault of course, but related to the boots bending at a critical "bad spot"on MY foot, maybe not yours.

After I recovered from the shock that the boots were now seriously damaged (one of the critical buckles), I went back to the AlpineStars and found the new pair fit just like the last ones.. Only this time, I took them to the Boot Repair and for $15, added some flaps to help them overlap correctly when buckling them up... I posted that repair on another boot thread this year.

the-fix2.jpg

the-fix1.jpg

Thats Great- when I was writing that reply I was going to add- "And my boots wouldnt get that way if I followed 2-Ply's advice to not be so 'quiet on the pegs' and get those knees out!":lol:

....Honest.

:busted: Then that means you must be learing something... Remembering the rules is the first step. The next step is being able to tell when and what rule you are breaking and the next step after that is being able to execute according to the rule with a little pre-ride pep talk to yourself before entering a difficult part and the last step is being able to do it without the pre-ride think session... at least 10% of the time.

You'll probably never get above doing the fundamantals correctly more than 75% of the time, 'cause if you do, we'll probably ALL be reading about you and watching incredible videos about you.

:moon:

If it were possible to ride without any mistakes more than once or twice in a lifetime, most of us would move on to something else.

I am working on that- but I am also trying to learn to cover my rear brake when I pop the wheel up, havent figured how to do that without keeping close. I have been reminding myself to move around on the pegs and get away from the bike. Honest.

Never have figured that out, someone want to explain?

The on off are very good as well. My Gaernes are not very good. I keep them for winter riding. I have one broken buckle, other areas of the boots are torn.

I just talked to him today and didn't bother to talk to shop... i was at work and had a headach. Anyway, what's the reason? (btw, i did order a pair... if ur quite u can hear my wallet cry)

I have the Gearne pro-tects and they work well enough. They loosen up after a few minutes of riding, and are then comfortable all day. I've had mine for about 1 1/2 years and they are doing fine. The only problem spot is right on the top rim of the boot. It's starting to wear through some fabric where it crosses over itself and rubs. Other than that though it's showing almost no signs of wear.

The only downside is that they aren't waterproof, which sucks when riding in streams.

To "cover" the rear brake means having your toe over the brake lever ready to apply the brakes as in preventing a rear loop wheelie. Common on regular dirt bikes but rarely needed in Trials, at least in the classes below Expert.

Gandalf: you shouldn't have to worry about looping it if you are not pulling back with your upper body to initiate the front wheel lift. And you shouldn't be lifting the front that way to begin with.. :busted::moon:

so 2-ply a wheelie should be all compress let spring and gun it? i mean alot of stuff requires lifting the front wheel, and if u arn't pulling on it, how do u do it?

Suspension timing, and a small amount of gas.

I also have a lot of trouble covering the back brake though. I feel like I can EITHER be in the correct position to do something, or be ready to hit the back brake.

Alright, i'll mess with that some more once i finish with the cleaning... and the snow melts.... so.... a week at the rate things are going.

so 2-ply a wheelie should be all compress let spring and gun it? i mean alot of stuff requires lifting the front wheel, and if u arn't pulling on it, how do u do it?

Go to the Trials Training Center's web site and look at their "how to ride" section and then look for the hopping videos, front wheel and rear wheels hops and notice that in some of those examples, the guy is doing it with the engine OFF. Watch his legs and mid section or butt as compared to his head for the motion that uses his body inertia without throwing his upper body out of position. As he pulls his weight back over the foot pegs, notice that his legs straighten a little and that helps to compress the rear suspension and that increases rear wheel grip.

You can see that same motion in the double blip slow motion video I've posted here several times.

The better the rider is, the less these motions stand out. That is why you are better off learning from an average experienced rider than watching a Pro World Class rider. The Pro can twitch by 1/2 inch and create the same forces that we need to move 6 inches to create.

i got the novagars,there ok.i had hebos before lasted 5 years,till my buddy through them in the campfire!smell like steak when theyre burning.

fester... i think you need some new friends.

i got the novagars,there ok.i had hebos before lasted 5 years,till my buddy through them in the campfire!smell like steak when theyre burning.

I went to a Sizzler Steakhouse one time - now I know what they cooked...