Sign in to follow this  

Most Bang for Buck: Cams or Exhaust

the yz have both good exhaust and cams stock so the performance increases by doing iether are minimal,getting your jetting perfect makes a big difference, but the big bore is by far the best way to get hp, mine improved heaps everywhere:thumbsup: but if your racing your suspension is key, get this set up right and youll become way faster around any track:ride:

the yz have both good exhaust and cams stock so the performance increases by doing iether are minimal,getting your jetting perfect makes a big difference, but the big bore is by far the best way to get hp, mine improved heaps everywhere:thumbsup: but if your racing your suspension is key, get this set up right and youll become way faster around any track:ride:

+1, the JD Jet Kit made all the difference in the world for my bike.

+1, the JD Jet Kit made all the difference in the world for my bike.

The stock componants can be jetted very well.

Cams typically yield better increases, especially these days with the new sound regs.

The stock componants can be jetted very well.

Cams typically yield better increases, especially these days with the new sound regs.

I agree on the cams. Check out Williamsmotowerx for cams. They are a TT sponsor and Jesse knows his stuff as for what your best bang for your buck will be along with reliablity too boot. :busted:

Another advantage of cams is they can't get crushed in a crash on your first ride out like an exhaust can.

Another advantage of cams is they can't get crushed in a crash on your first ride out like an exhaust can.

Always good points from you KJ790. :busted:

exhaust. just the other day i was reading an articl in dirt rider, where they tested cams, and they wanted to test them all with the stock pipe, but only one would run properly with the stocker. all the others needed to be rejetted and have an aftermarket exhuast. let me find the issue right now hold on.

its actually in my moms car right now so ill have to get back to ya.

I Have intake cam running stock pipe right now and it revs a little more. BUt check williams motorwork for porting I have herd some good things, and when I do my top end before spring if I have the funds I will send my head to get ported and maybe my motorcycle also(LOL).

I Have intake cam running stock pipe right now and it revs a little more. BUt check williams motorwork for porting I have herd some good things, and when I do my top end before spring if I have the funds I will send my head to get ported and maybe my motorcycle also(LOL).

Ditto on this. Jesse will make it worth your while way over buying an aftermarket exhaust system. :busted:

they do give you good improvenments but at a hefty price. There are better things you can do get the most out of your bike such as suspension, that can actually make you faster than a pipe can.

I did mine backwards, I bought exhaust then suspension. Get suspension first. I don't care what anyone says, you can have a 60hp 250f and you won't get the most out of it unless you have a good suspension under you. I will go out on a limb here and say go with a pipe first, then you can decide if cams will be a future option. I was very surprised how well my yzf ran with proper jetting and the wb system.

I agree with every one on this thread on suspension. My son got way faster having his suspension done than any engine work. I am just saying if its between a pipe or head work I recommend head work. Cost wise you might spend $400.00 to $700.00+ on an exhaust system and bottom line is if you are looking for bang for your buck you will get more power out of head work/ porting than you will the exhaust system by a long shot. Talk to Jesse from Williamsmotowerx. You can PM him here on this site. He has the dyno sheets to prove this. You might get 1-1 1/2 horsepower out of a good pipe but with head work from Jesse you will probably at least double that # for the same cost. And as KJ790 already mentioned it cant get damaged in a crash like an exhaust system can. I have posted this already somewhere else but my son had the oppertunity to ride a bike that Jesse had done head work to and it flat out rips. And they were running the stock head pipe and exhaust on this bike (2008 YZ250F). My son is an intermediate/B rider. Good luck what ever you decide. :busted: