I'm New, EXC 450 vs. 530

Let me start by saying hello to everyone! I am very excited to have found this forum because I have always been interested in duel-sports but was never able to find much info. I have tried to use the search for help on this one but have had little success so maybe some of you guys on here could give me some info.

I want to get a dual-sport that is legal on road aswell, but I'm in Ontario Canada. From the information I was able to gather Ontario has changed the laws so that you can not upgrade a bike to make it road legal unless it comes that way from the factory and you can't transfer an upgraded bike from another city or province. I think the ministry of transport has a list of acceptable bikes in there computer and if its not on the list, no dice.

So it seems I have limited options, I don't think the Husky would be acceptable since I can't seem to find a dealer in Canada. I thought I read somewhere in spring that the KLX450R was going to come prepped from factory, but the only ones I have seen on the net like that were in Australia.

I think my only real option is the EXC 450 or 530. I know there are a couple of other alternatives out there, but I'm a young 22 year old. I want something that looks good too, aggressive like an off roader. So can anyone here explain the differences between the 450 and 530?

Much appreciated!

The 450 is said to be better in tight stuff, it makes power different and revs different, something about the 530 being an out of square motor. These are just the things I've heard from owners and posts on ktmtalk.com.

I have the 450 and couldn't be happier, I've never run out of power. The 450 is a bit cheaper. The only difference on the bikes is the barrell and piston.

Get the 530 and add the factory dual map switch to the bars. That way you can have a 450 with the map off, and a 510 with the map on. Yes, you can have the best of both worlds with a properly set up 530.

DBM

530 has a larger piston thats it, some people swear its a lot better low end pull, i am happy with my 450.

The 530 gets it's extra displacement via a stroke increase rather than with a larger piston. The pistons are actually the same diameter. Note that the older 450 EXC and 525 did have different sized pistons.

General advice given is if your a revver go for the 450. Those who like to ride the bottom to mid and short shift go with the 530.Myself i'd say match your offroad terrain. Tight stuff is 450. Open is 530. Every thing is a give and take but it is really hard to have to much power for the street. Resale is almost always better on the bigger bikes for ds use.

The 530 gets it's extra displacement via a stroke increase rather than with a larger piston. The pistons are actually the same diameter. Note that the older 450 EXC and 525 did have different sized pistons.

not the case on the 08 excr's

450 and 530

connecting rods have the same ktm part #

450 and 530

pistons have different part #'s

not the case on the 08 excr's

450 and 530

connecting rods have the same ktm part #

450 and 530

pistons have different part #'s

The con rod part numbers may be the same, nevertheless the the 530 has a longer stroke than the 450. Note that the con rod length is not directly related to engine stroke.

Likewise the pistons may have different part numbers but their diameters are still the same.

The con rod part numbers may be the same, nevertheless the the 530 has a longer stroke than the 450. Note that the con rod length is not directly related to engine stroke.

Likewise the pistons may have different part numbers but their diameters are still the same.

again

complete crank kit is the same for both bikes,

complete piston kit is different for both bikes.

again

complete crank kit is the same for both bikes,

complete piston kit is different for both bikes.

I agree 100%, but the stroke is still nevertheless longer in the 530 and the piston diameters are the same, part numbers notwithstanding. Check the engine technical specifications to verify.

I agree 100%, but the stroke is still nevertheless longer in the 530 and the piston diameters are the same, part numbers notwithstanding. Check the engine technical specifications to verify.

Piston diameter could be the same, but wrist pin location on piston different to prevent valve contact with the longer stroke.

i'll check it but i don't see how you can use the same crank and rod and have two different strokes?

Get the 530, no replacemnet for displacment. On girls ride 450s.

At one stop, out in the woods somewhere, out of 15 riders, 10 were on 525 with plates. the other bikes were, a husky 510, beta 525, one KTM 450(that owner would have bought a 530 if they were available) one wr 450 and a cr 250. The 525/530 is the best all around bike, hands down.