Dual sport. Best option?

I am new to California's central coast and have seen some posts on ADVRider regarding dual-sport bikes being a better choice than a non street-legal bike (OHV) out here. Is having a dual sport really the only good option for riding?

I've been doing some research into riding areas and see places like Pozo, Oceano Dunes, and Jawbone Canyon listed, among others. Do these spots offer good riding for an OHV? I'm perfectly happy trailering the bike in and riding for the day/weekend and heading home.

I've been toying with getting a DRZ400S, but would prefer the joys of a late 90s 250cc 2-stroke motocross bike. I'm looking for something cheap, that I can beat on and not feel bad when I break something.

I had the same issue. I got a 03 XR4 plated in Cali. Then I got a 08 TE450 Husky. They are real sweet bikes. I am going to sell the XR4, Its only going to take the right person with the right amount of money to let it go. I would get a plated bike if I was you.

I love my 07 Husky TE450, I can ride any single track and then hit the freeway. We where riding out Cow mtn. We started on the Ukiah side, when we got to the Lk County side we rode into town grabed a fat lunch. We rode back to Cow mtn and punded out the west side hitting all the super tight Cow trails and then rode home. That was a awesome experance, and the onion ring burps where quite tasty.

Echoing the same sentiment. Forget the drz and get a KTM or husky. Race inspired dual sport. I bought an xr 600 that is plated and it has all the power I could ever want and is a great bike but just heavy on the tight single track. My KTM 300 exc was precision on the tight single track but I couldn't ride wherever I wanted. I just got an 05 KTM 525 exc with no use on it and it is the best move I could have made. I thought having two bikes would be great but deciding what bike to ride was a dilema. sold the 300 and the xr 600 is up for sale. the xr is 300 lbs the 525 is 260ish. makes enough of a difference

if you are gonna be riding off road trails there is no "NEED" for a dual sport, but it wouldnt hurt anything but your pocket to have one. If going dual then look at the 07 or newer KTM, some came street legal. If you live near riding trails the dual makes it so you can just ride from home.

As did all Husqvarna TE's '06 +. :busted:

At the risk of being the black sheep I have a 07 husky and an 02 drz. While I absolutly love the husky and mostly ride it, I still like the drz and would recomend anyone budget minded to go that way. If you have the cash go ktm or husky if not it is simple- drz. They can be made into offroad monsters or keep it soft and fluffy for an mellow easy ride.:busted:

I've been toying with getting a DRZ400S, but would prefer the joys of a late 90s 250cc 2-stroke motocross bike. I'm looking for something cheap, that I can beat on and not feel bad when I break something.

Key words here fella's,

"LATE 90's 2 STROKE" and "SOMETHING CHEAP".

The newer Dual sports are awesome bikes, But they are "purpose built."

and not cheap.

Also there is no comparison between a DRZ 400s and a late 90's 250 cc two stroke. Two completely different ends of the universe.

P.S. Where is this guy at? He makes a post and never comes back!

I feel so used.....

Sorry for the late reply. As I mentioned, I'm new here and looking for a place to work. My focus unfortunately has not been on fun.

I realize the vast difference between the MX bikes and the DRZ as I've put quite a few miles on both back on the East Coast. The problem for me is that there is no cheap street-legal alternative to the MX bikes. Sure a KTM or Husky would be great, but in my current situation, those are more "dream bikes" than attainable bikes. The DRZ is the only decent sized, street legal machine in my budget, that I know of. And a cheap MXer is still much cheaper than a DRZ.

Plus, I want something that I can beat the snot out of, and not worry too much about. Incredible performance and/or the newest technology are not required for my purposes. I'm a competent mechanic and am comfortable doing almost any repair to a 2-smoker. An older MXer would suit me just fine, so long as I can find at least a couple local places to ride it.

I guess my question really is the following:

Are the local riding places large and varied enough to satisfy when one only owns a mid-90s 2-stroke MX bike? I'm not talking riding every day, just once every couple weeks or so.

Ultimately, I'll end up with a dual-sport. I just need something to get me by in the meantime.

If I am understanding what you want ? You are looking for a cheap ride to take out every few weeks until you can afford a dually.

You can get an older pinger for a song and a dance. The only problem in califonia is they are all red stickered now, which can limit your riding season quite a bit. I would look for a 3-5 year old 4 stroke with low hours that you can at least get a green sticker. Jawbone Valley & Dove Springs are all green stickered areas. Also just east of there is Randsburgh & Red Mountain. You could spend an entire season just exploring those areas alone.

The duallies are a nice luxury, but not a neccessity (yet)

You can get an older pinger for a song and a dance. The only problem in califonia is they are all red stickered now, which can limit your riding season quite a bit.

2002 and older = green sticker

2003 and newer = red sticker

the only exception would be a 1998 YZ400 which was a non-compliant bike = track only

enjoy.

btw Pozo is awesome and Pismo would be more fun on a 2 Smoke

You should be able to ride that mid 90's 2 stroker a lot of places - any place green stickered bikes are allowed. While it seems that that area is shrinking, it is still A LOT of area. Dual sport is a great way to go, but not necessary if you are willing to be "confined" to the designated riding areas.